Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

I think recasting is the way to go. T"Challa is a great character and Coogler has already written and prepped Black Panther 2 as starring the character. It does not make sense to me to retire the character this early, when his story is only just beginning. I don't think Boseman would want this iconic character he originated (on film) to be retired just because of his untimely passing. Rather, I think it is an opportunity to give another young up and coming black actor the chance to shine.

pretty unenviable task to follow in boseman's steps, no matter what you do as an actor you'll be compared and pretty much setup to always be in the shadow

i still believe they should let t'challa go out of respect and eventually have a new panther, the movies were never 1:1 adaptations to begin with

Chadwick had such a presence in all 4 film appearances and it'll be hard getting used to any new actor, who would have massive shoes to fill but yes he should be recast. Please continue with Black Panther 2 and T'Challa in a new story post Endgame!

I'll support Marvel either way, but I would rather Shuri take up the Mantle for the next two movies, then they recast down the line. They could say T'Challa went away or something. This way it gives us time to get used to the idea of someone else playing him. Right now, I can't stomach the thought of another actor playing T'Challa with this cast.

It is really tough to picture another actor in the role, and I would agree that perhaps they should hold on production of BP2 for a while and instead, do a Shuri film. She could even take up the mantle of BP but killing T'Challa off would just be wrong. As others have said, Hollywood still has a dearth of high-profile films with black male leads and denying all black male actors a chance to portray the most important black superhero just feels wrong. I think holding off on continuing T'Challa's story for a little while is fine but I don't think they should end it.

I think recasting is the way to go. T"Challa is a great character and Coogler has already written and prepped Black Panther 2 as starring the character. It does not make sense to me to retire the character this early, when his story is only just beginning. I don't think Boseman would want this iconic character he originated (on film) to be retired just because of his untimely passing. Rather, I think it is an opportunity to give another young up and coming black actor the chance to shine.

This. I totally agree.

T'Challa's needs to be the Black Panther.

I think they'll be alot more acceptance of the GA of a recast of T'Challa than there would be in putting Suri or another character in the suit, even if there's precedence in the comics.

While it may be difficult to envision another actor playing T'Challa, I think it would be a harder sell to the GA to make Suri the BP on the big screen especially after the cultural phenom that the first film was.

T'Challa is the Black Panther as far as the worldwide audience is concerned , much in the way Bruce Wayne is Batman .

Yes, there are other characters who have worn the suit in other media, but as far as the public is concerned, T'Challa is Black Panther and Bruce Wayne is Batman.

A recast is the way to go.

The idea of writing T'Challa off by either having him step down or killing him off screen just feels wrong especially after the first film where he's adamant about leading them into the future his way.
I also think the character should be kept alive, still being the superhero he is and also not pass on the role of the king while he's out saving the world.
To find another actor is a must. But it has to be the right one. who can both appear regal and is able to fight.
I started to think about candidates. Several of the best african american actors are already a part of MCU. But not all of them.
Jamie Foxx would be cool, wouldn't it? He has gravitas, and he was so wasted in AMS2.

Marvel could also ask Terrence Howard to return, and offer him the kind of paycheck he wants.
Now that Tony is out, there won't be any weirdness with seeing him next to Iron Man.

A third option is to go with new talent and offer the role to Tenet's John David Washington

Jamie Foxx is too old, as is Terrence Howard who is not going to return. They found him difficult to work with didn't they? And he has a kind of whiny voice that doesn't remotely sound regal at all. Plus people will remember him from Iron Man 1, which was not a minor little film but the first in the MCU and a seminal one at that.

I hate even the thought of a recast because it just feels too soon and raw. However, I want T'Challa to remain present in the MCU. He's a hero to so many black kids and his story isn't done. Shuri's time as BP will come, but killing T'Challa offscreen just feels disrespectful to the character and to the legacy Chadwick created. I think he would want the character to live on.

I also think the character should be kept alive, still being the superhero he is and also not pass on the role of the king while he's out saving the world.
To find another actor is a must. But it has to be the right one. who can both appear regal and is able to fight.
I started to think about candidates. Several of the best african american actors are already a part of MCU. But not all of them.
Jamie Foxx would be cool, wouldn't it? He has gravitas, and he was so wasted in AMS2.

Marvel could also ask Terrence Howard to return, and offer him the kind of paycheck he wants.
Now that Tony is out, there won't be any weirdness with seeing him next to Iron Man.

A third option is to go with new talent and offer the role to Tenet's John David Washington

Both Foxx and Howard are way too old. T'Challa is supposed to be in his late 20s or early 30s and I don't think Howard could pull off playing T'Challa, he'd be a good fit for a Killmonger type character.

John David Washington would be my first pick, very talented. Aldis Hodge could make a great T'Challa and I do believe that he was interested in playing him before. I think that Y'lan Noel was good in the Purge and could possibly do a good job.

If they didn't want to feature T'challa in the sequel but didn't want to recast or kill him off, then they could set the sequel during that 5 year period where he disappeared and was presumed dead.

They could feature a different person taking up the mantle of Black Panther and even feature a funeral for T'challa as a way of honouring Boseman, but T'challa's death wouldn't be permanent because he'd be brought back by the infinity gauntlet.

Marvel could have their cake and eat it. They could test the waters to see how a new Panther would fare and have a gap to allow audiences to grieve (although by the time a film came out that should've been enough time). But they'd also be able to leave the door open for T'challa to return and to recast the character.

I like this pitch. I just think that audience would think it is a little bit
cowardly from Marvel to deal with the situation.

Aldis Hodge is the right age and height and has the right look. Plus he has the acting chops and can also do comedy.

Seriously I hope marvel and co have had him on a list of actors to look at. Even before Bosemans passing.

Bummer that Foxx is too old. I think he could have worked. Do you?

Regarding what will happen, I think Boseman talked to Marvel about it.
After wrapping up the production of Endgame, he maybe let them know what he wished for the character's future, in case he wouldn't make it.
He was such a strong person, determined. He continued to work. There are two upcoming films on his imdb profile, but he did only finish one of them.

We'll have to see what the studio will do, if Shuri takes up the BP legacy or another actor gets cast as T'Challa

I wouldnt have chosen Foxx for the role at any point during his career. Djimon Hounsou would have been ideal back in the day.

Same here. No Foxx.

And definitely not Terrence Howard even if he weren't in Iron Man.

Bummer that Foxx is too old. I think he could have worked. Do you?

Regarding what will happen, I think Boseman talked to Marvel about it.
After wrapping up the production of Endgame, he maybe let them know what he wished for the character's future, in case he wouldn't make it.
He was such a strong person, determined. He continued to work. There are two upcoming films on his imdb profile, but he did only finish one of them.

We'll have to see what the studio will do, if Shuri takes up the BP legacy or another actor gets cast as T'Challa

So far as I know, the bolded has in no way come out as true.

It's been reported that no one at Marvel had any idea he was even sick until his death, so that would fly in the face of him having spoken to them about replacing him.

Especially as Boseman still thought he was gonna make it up until about a week before the end, and was expecting to start preparing for Black Panther 2 soon.

Yeap. It’s been confirmed Feige didn’t know anything until about a hour before Chadwick passed when he got an urgent email from him. And Coogler was still working on a script that featured BP as played by Boswick. Disney and Marvel had no idea, like the rest of us.

I think they should recast. The character is just starting out in the MCU and means a lot to people.

No John David Washington though. He’s too short and doesn’t really have Boseman’s build.

Honestly I'm going to be at peace whether they recast or not you already know that BP2 will be done completely in honor of Chadwick.

Honestly I'm going to be at peace whether they recast or not you already know that BP2 will be done completely in honor of Chadwick.
That’s how I feel. Marvel has done enough to earn my trust at this point that I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as to how they want to pursue the next steps.

Well it's incredibly likely now that Shuri will take over the mantle as Black Panther and become the new Black Panther franchise lead. We aren't getting another T'Challa. T'Challa will be buried with Chadwick unfortunately. I'm feeling quite confident this will happen now.

Grace Randolph, who has a good track record of late when it comes to industry discussions, says Disney is going to make BP2 onwards into a Shuri franchise, and end T'Challa out of 'respect' to Boseman. The Twitter 'Yas Kween' crowd seems to be loudly demanding it as well.

All signs seem to point to this happening, so I'm hoping they find a classy way to end the T'Challa character. Perhaps something akin to Paul Walker's exit from F+F.

Sucks for all the fans who want to have an inspiring Black male hero, but we got 4 films with him (arguably some of the best of the MCU) and nothing lasts forever.

No John David Washington though. He’s too short and doesn’t really have Boseman’s build.
Shoe lifts, different level stage platforms and steroids....works every time (I believe JDW can build up a comparable build with diet, gym and a studio hired 24/7 trainer also)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"