Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther or make Shuri the new Panther?

Boseman was decent in BP, but outshone by Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong’o, MBJ, Angela Bassett and Letitia Wright.

There is absolutely no way that Lupita or Angela outshined Chadwick in BP.

And the only reason Chadwick was outshined by Danai, MBJ, and Letitia was not because of performance, but because the script gave them flashier things to do or say. It's clear to anyone who watched Civil War that Chadwick/T'Challa can be a scene stealer if he's actually allowed to be.

And even while being forced to play straightman to several characters, Chadwick was clearly remarkable as T'Challa, both in his solo film and other MCU appearances. You wouldn't be seeing this level of grief over his death if he weren't.

I do think Chadwick was a scene stealer in Civil War but in Black Panther got a bit outshone by his own supporting cast. It was a bit of Batman syndrome where he's the stoic lead with a flamboyant supporting cast.

Recast. To me Black Panther is T'challa not Shuri. We have barely even seen his story. Bond has many different actors.
And the farce that has become the Bond franchise makes this apparent.

no disrespect to the character or the actor, but for this reason, let it go.

Boseman was decent in BP, but outshone by Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong’o, MBJ, Angela Bassett and Letitia Wright.

Does anyone think Nakia and not Shuri could be the next BP?

Almost laughed at this. The only one that came close to out shining him was MBJ. Nakia and Ramonda didn't do anything brag worthy. Shuri was nothing more than the funny teen and hyped up as the black teenage genius on par with Stark. Okoye had a few good action shots and among the small number of supporting characters to have a completed arc.

I do think Chadwick was a scene stealer in Civil War but in Black Panther got a bit outshone by his own supporting cast. It was a bit of Batman syndrome where he's the stoic lead with a flamboyant supporting cast.

If he had his own wig to throw at someone during a fight, that could've helped.

Sometimes we can get so wowed by the louder more flamboyant characters we may forget the more stoic main characters are the anchor to their stories like Batman and Black Panther are. We often hear about how Batman’s villains outshine him in movies. I heard the same about An impressive supporting cast gets to shine and the overall story is satisfying with multiple favorite performances. The hero is going to save to day and have his moments regardless. It’s a win-win to me.

The Black Panther gave people hope. T'Challa is the one who carried that symbol of hope but he wasn't the first and he doesn't have to be the last. The reality is, Chadwick defined T'Challa for millions of people in the same way that Chris Reeves defined Superman. Any recast would see that actor living in the shadow of his legacy -- this is bigger than the character. IMO it's better to pass it to Shuri; a character audiences have already embraced. And have her dealing with the fallout as she becomes the next Black Panther

And yet, we've had several successful Superman's since Reeves. An actor does not define a character.

Plus it makes no sense to kill off T'Challa again especially when you brought the character back when you reversed the Thanos Snap in Avengers Endgame...why do the Snap and bring him back at all only to kill him off again offscreen? At least with a recast, you are keeping the character alive since the character is so beloved and you're continuing the legacy

Well damn.

That's unfortunate.

When you have the media and Trades campaigning for Shuri as Black Panther (and shooting down recasting T'Challa as a bad idea), we're more than likely going to get a Shuri-led BP franchise going forward. The Twitter mob has spoken as well.

Disney is rather exploitative of socio-political causes, so the temptation to push a Black Female-led franchise now will be too tempting. They can easily pull a Star Wars and brand anyone who dislikes the idea as misogynists.

I trust that whatever story Feige & Coogler decide to tell it will somehow make sense in the Black Panther series and overall in the MCU. They are too good a craftsmen to not make it work.

Even if that means the T’Challa character is retired in movies and Shuri becomes the mainstream Black Panther for the next decade.

I trust that whatever story Feige & Coogler decide to tell it will somehow make sense in the Black Panther series and overall in the MCU. They are too good a craftsmen to not make it work.

Even if that means the T’Challa character is retired in movies and Shuri becomes the mainstream Black Panther for the next decade.

Since comics often end up reflecting the movies to align with them, does that mean T'Challa will be retired in comics too? And then eventually people will think that Shuri is THE Black Panther?

Since comics often end up reflecting the movies to align with them, does that mean T'Challa will be retired in comics too? And then eventually people will think that Shuri is THE Black Panther?
I think that has a chance of happening. If T’Challa is not the Black Panther in the MCU, my guess is whoever is the next Black Panther will play that role for like 3-5 movies in the MCU at least.

I think that has a chance of happening. If T’Challa is not the Black Panther in the MCU, my guess is whoever is the next Black Panther will play that role for like 3-5 movies in the MCU at least.

Which is why I'd still want T'Challa to be the Black Panther that everyone knows and not that he's forgotten by future generations who think he was just a one-off forerunner or warm-up act to the "real" main protagonist.

To be honest, I don't think that would happen. No future genre tentpole film that centers on ethnic minorities will have the same cultural impact that Black Panther 1 did.

No one expected it to be as ground-breaking and successful as it was.

We had a good run with the Infinity Saga and the four films starring Boseman as BP are some of the most memorable and genre-defining of them all.

Whatever comes next just won't have the same impact anymore, as it wouldn't be the first time something on this scale as been done and really been a massive success.

I heard rumors, well it WGTC, that they write T‘Challa out of the MCU.
First I thought, it‘s the right thing, but then again I want T‘Challa interact with Storm, Namor, Doom and not Shiri doing this.
But I want Shuri being a big part and have more action scenes as well.

I saw somebody suggest Lakeith Stanfield as T'Challa. I'm not down for a recast but if they absolutely had to, and that's what Feige and Coogler chose to do, that wouldn't be a bad choice. Lakeith is a brilliant actor and he's bound to get snatched up by either Marvel or DC pretty soon

I dont trust a word We got it covered says about anything.

Lakeith is my top pick for silver surfer right now.

I’ve been checking out Lamorne Morris (New Girl) and even though he is a comedian, he has good screen presence and if he can nail a “serious tone” he could maybe play a good T’Challa. He obviously would need to beef up a bit also.
28DE66CC-A4EF-4E58-80EE-6A3691B80B52.jpeg

I saw somebody suggest Lakeith Stanfield as T'Challa. I'm not down for a recast but if they absolutely had to, and that's what Feige and Coogler chose to do, that wouldn't be a bad choice. Lakeith is a brilliant actor and he's bound to get snatched up by either Marvel or DC pretty soon
I like his character in Atlanta. He has been blowing up these past 2 years!

I'm in agreement with all who have voted for a recast; Shuri isn't the Black Panther, and regardless what may have happened in the comics, it doesn't have to transition on screen. To kill off T'Challa is poor taste. Recasting is the way to go. I can't believe the morons on Twitter, but then, it is Twitter. Hopefully Disney will vote to overlook that minority. It's just a shame there's not a movement pushing for a recast. I feel like the Shuri Promotion simply got in there first, and hasn't allowed for any other t thoughts.

I trust fiege and co are looking at all options.

Sam Wilson was in like three movies in barely a supporting role before becoming Captain America. There wasn't a lot of exploration of the concept of him stepping into the role at all.
See, I'm not saying a different personality is a problem, I say the personality they gave Shuri would be a problem for a Queen and Guardian of a country. If they plan Shuri to be Black Panther at some point in the MCU, I'd like see a change of personality first and as Marvel doesn't do things in a hurry like DC/Warner/Snyder do, I think it would take a whole film before she don the mantle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"