The Wolverine Should this be the end for Hugh? reboot finally?

bhayes

Civilian
Reaction score
I guess Hugh knows the truth. this could be the end. he even said it.

maybe this is his way of saying that The Wolverine is good but not that good to warrant another sequel.

Lets be honest. had x-men orgins been the film the trailers had promised us then we would be having a different conversation now.

basically we could have had an epic-quality wolverine prequel trilogy meant to make the wolverine fans happy. instead we're getting a quality First Class prequel trilogy instead.

i mean the cinematics for the video game for orgins were more entertaining than the film. that's just sad. i mean they could've done a toned down version of what was in the cinematics and got away with that.

i mean just imagine how orgins would've turned out had they put the same type of effort and quality story telling into orgins by being consistent with what was shown in the x1-x2 flashbacks, re-creating the 80's and doing quality action and a good tragic-revenge-love story - the trailers showed us.

i like how they're recreating the past in the first class films. but hey it's water under the bridge now for orgins.

but will audiences ever take wolverine seriously again? they have now used up all the best x men story-lines and wolverine stories.

my hope is DOFP and The Wolverine will acknowledge only the first 3 films, and orgins can be retconned and be viewed as alternate contunity.

kinda-like they do with the highlander sequels.

i mean what else can they do after DOFP and a 3rd FC film? even if DOFP and The Wolverine do well. i don't see them making like Iron Man 3 / Avengers/ Dark Knight money.

after the last first class film.

i say they should just reboot x-men. and just do it right this time.

If they have to end the character, have him die in by Magneto ripping out his adamantium - which would complement the possible loss of his healing arc in TW-or by sentinel beam, which happened in the comic. There's no need to reboot the series; it's finally back on its feet again, and the last thing the franchise needs is losing momentum. Contrary to belief on the internet, people tire of remakes and reboots easily. And no, rebooting is not demonstrative of creativity, but laziness.

If Days of Future Past turned out to be a big success. People would be asking more X-Men films and rebooting this series wouldn't be a good idea.

There's no need to reboot the series; it's finally back on its feet again, and the last thing the franchise needs is losing momentum. Contrary to belief on the internet, people tire of remakes and reboots easily. And no, rebooting is not demonstrative of creativity, but laziness.

A reboot would be very challenging for FOX because they have to find new actors, they will probably find a new director too (I don't think Bryan Singer is ready for a reboot) and basically, they are starting from scratch! And remember, the producers said it was harder for them to do X-Men 1 than X-Men 2 because X-Men 1 was the first one while X2 was a continuation and they didn't start from scratch.

If they just continue with X-Men 5! They don't have to hire a whole new cast, they don't have to retell the world of the X-Men to the audience again and the general audience wouldn't have to adjust with the actors portraying Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, etc...

A reboot would be very challenging for FOX because they have to find new actors, they will probably find a new director too (I don't think Bryan Singer is ready for a reboot) and basically, they are starting from scratch! And remember, the producers said it was harder for them to do X-Men 1 than X-Men 2 because X-Men 1 was the first one while X2 was a continuation and they didn't start from scratch.

If they just continue with X-Men 5! They don't have to hire a whole new cast, they don't have to retell the world of the X-Men to the audience again and the general audience wouldn't have to adjust with the actors portraying Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, etc...

Agreed! At this point, they have reached an awesome place, in terms of storytelling: the arrival and departure of the cure leaves the characters in a very interesting social and political landscape.

Origins: Wolverine was bad?

not from where I'm standing. Still my favourite X-men film.

Wait...so Hugh hinting that this might be the last solo film is really him telling us The Wolverine isn't good?

Oh, bhayes... :doh:

A reboot would be very challenging for FOX because they have to find new actors, they will probably find a new director too (I don't think Bryan Singer is ready for a reboot) and basically, they are starting from scratch! And remember, the producers said it was harder for them to do X-Men 1 than X-Men 2 because X-Men 1 was the first one while X2 was a continuation and they didn't start from scratch

while i dont think it's needed and i dont think it'll happen unless DOFP bombs, which I seriously doubt will happen, I dont get how rebooting X-Men is very challenging or any harder than rebooting any other series.

Last edited:
while i dont think it's needed and i dont think it'll happen unless DOFP bombs, which I seriously doubt will happen, I dont get how rebooting X-Men is very challenging or any harder than rebooting any other series.

It's not. This franchise is mapped out so bad even the hardcore fans don't know what's in continuity or not. A clean slate would be the best thing for the franchise. Even if the OT actors stay they are still wiping their slate/fixing ****, which is more confusing/difficult to pull off then just introducing a whole new crew and having a fresh start.

It's not. This franchise is mapped out so bad even the hardcore fans don't know what's in continuity or not. A clean slate would be the best thing for the franchise. Even if the OT actors stay they are still wiping their slate/fixing ****, which is more confusing/difficult to pull off then just introducing a whole new crew and having a fresh start.

Business-wise, its not a good idea to reboot this series especially the interest for X-Men movies are starting to rise up again. Its also easier to just make a sequel from an established franchise than to start from scratch.

Of course its easy for fan-boys to suggest that a reboot should happen because they want things to be more similar to the comic-books, but seriously, if you are a producer of this series and you still have most of the cast/crew willing to return and the general audience wants to see more films. You are gonna think twice about doing a reboot.

Business-wise, its not a good idea to reboot this series especially the interest for X-Men movies are starting to rise up again. Its also easier to just make a sequel from an established franchise than to start from scratch.

Of course its easy for fan-boys to suggest that a reboot should happen because they want things to be more similar to the comic-books, but seriously, if you are a producer of this series and you still have most of the cast/crew willing to return and the general audience wants to see more films. You are gonna think twice about doing a reboot.

i think there is some mis-communication. Are you saying it's difficult to reboot now or reboot down the road once the reception for the films have wined down/the cast and everyone is ready to move on.

I dont think it's difficult either way, I just dont think it would be smart to do it now especially if The Wolverine and DOFP are successes

i mean what else can they do after DOFP and a 3rd FC film? even if DOFP and The Wolverine do well. i don't see them making like Iron Man 3 / Avengers/ Dark Knight money. after the last first class film. i say they should just reboot x-men. and just do it right this time.

LOL! Seriously you want the third First Class film as the last X-Men film before the reboot. Again this is a perfect example of fan-boy fantasies. They want a reboot but they want to see a third First Class film first which is obviously is not gonna make more money than the most successful X-Men to date then they will criticize the films that featured the original cast on how they didn't earn the same amount of money that the Dark Knight/Avengers earned at the box-office.

LOL! Seriously you want the third First Class film as the last X-Men film before the reboot. Again this is a perfect example of fan-boy fantasies. They want a reboot but they want to see a third First Class film first which is obviously is not gonna make more money than the most successful X-Men to date then they will criticize the films that
featured the original cast on how they didn't earn the same amount of money that the Dark Knight/Avengers earned at the box-office.

This.

I think some of these people will find an excuse on why FOX shouldn't move forward with the original cast after DOFP is released. And everytime I bring up the Fast/Furious comparison, they can't say anything about it because they can't deny how the comeback of the original cast of FF helped the stalling movie series.

And they could definitely do something new with the altered present. Introduce new villains, new characters, give the other characters more development and story, give the films a bigger scope. Like seriously there's hundreds of storylines that they could adapt into film.

Last edited:
if The Wolverine and DOFP does really well then we will see how it goes.

after DOFP and i guess a 3rd First Class film, what would be next?

i'm kinda torn on this. i like hugh jackman as wolverine, but i hate orgins and all the continuity errors in the series. little kids who like the films and don't know the comic or the 90's animated version must really be confused.

i think i hate orgins mostly because they've wasted gambit. they can't ever use his character again. it SUCKS man.

i'm hearing about rumors of apocolypse being introduced in DOFP. there is potential.

they could do something original too by continuing. but i feel after the last first class film. a reboot is necessary.

hugh jackman admitted himself that orgins was not a good film. so...to each his own. But..for the orgins lovers out there, i can't understand what you guys like about orgins.

brian singer said orgins told a story that wasn't interesting. just imagine what could have happened had brian directed orgins. wow!!! that would've been just amazing.

i think the lack of promotion of the wolverine and all these web interviews about how "different" this film is...is hugh's way of saying "hey guys, i'm sorry we screwed up last time...this film is better"

hugh is so well liked and beloved that people are forgiving him for orgins.

but i'm curious about what they're doing this time with DOFP. but i say if reboot happens.

they should do a deal with Marvel and use all new unknown actors.

Last edited:
I think some of these people will find an excuse on why FOX shouldn't move forward with the original cast after DOFP is released. And everytime I bring up the Fast/Furious comparison, they can't say anything about it because they can't deny how the comeback of the original cast of FF helped the stalling movie series.

And they could definitely do something new with the altered present. Introduce new villains, new characters, give the other characters more development and story, give the films a bigger scope. Like seriously there's hundreds of storylines that they could adapt into film.

But it's kind of a minor issue that most of the main X-Men are dead isn't it?

Uhm, it was.

Oh ok, can't argue with that. Your compelling arguments have convinced me.

But it's kind of a minor issue that most of the main X-Men are dead isn't it?

Excluding Phoenix, most of the "dead" X-Men have the foundations of their return established in X3, or will probably be corrected in DOFP.

Its only Jean and Cyclops.

They could resurrect them easily if they want to.

What about Professor? And surely resurrecting Jean would be a bit silly.

I can see it with Cyclops though, technically we never saw him die.

The empty body subplot covers Professor X's return. As for Phoenix, it should not be too difficult an exercise in screenwriting to cover, considering how multi-faceted the Phoenix force is in the comics.

What about Professor? And surely resurrecting Jean would be a bit silly.

I can see it with Cyclops though, technically we never saw him die.

They are explaining in DOFP why Professor X is back. And even if they don't bring back Cyclops and Jean Grey, they would probably include new members to the team like they did in the previous movies. In DOFP, it looks Warpath, Bishop and Blink might be joining the modern-day X-Men. And even if they don't include new members to the team, they could just focus on Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Colossus, Shadowcat and Iceman as an individual and a team.

There's seriously hundreds of possibilities by moving forward to the present time with the modern-day X-Men.

LOL.I don't know why that film gets ripped as much as it does.But a lot of films I enjoy (X3,S-M 3,IM 2,etc) seem to get hated on,so I'm used to it.:woot:

There's seriously hundreds of possibilities by moving forward to the present time with the modern-day X-Men.

I agree with this. Although there's a few issues, the current series has nothing major that prevents them from presenting more stories so I don't see a need for a reboot yet. Some of the OT cast's ages could present an issue down the line but more focus could be placed on new, younger team members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"