The Wolverine Will this really be a better film?

bhayes

Civilian
Reaction score
just a question.

i have to be completely honest. We all realize that they really messed up with orgins.

i was hoping to hear that wolverine 2 and deadpool were cancelled. and that First Class is a reboot. but we are getting a sequel to a bad movie.

Orgins had alot of potential. It really could have been the film that the trailers made it out to be. a great sci-fi action film with a tragic love story and also a sort of social commentary on sibiling rivalry. but it also could have been a great revenge film too. we could have got some authentic berserker rage. the visual effects could have been better.

we didn't need deadpool or gambit. they really screwed up Maverick. We didn't need Blob either.

the video game cinematics do a much better job telling the story than the movie does. that is just sad!

but overall the script just really sucked. the editing was very poor. they could have just went with what is in the comic with a few tweaks here and there so that it fits with what we saw in the flashbacks of x1 & x2.

one of the biggest problems orgins has is that it really screws up the continuity a great deal too.

if yuriko is in this film he will have to get another memory wipe so that he won't recognize her.

also emma frost. she is in orgins as a young woman. but she also appears in first class.

so Wolverine 2 may actually be a good film. the film may play out very well.
but orgins IMO has done alot of damage that can't be fixed in one film.

oh well.

When you go to watch whatever the title will be (I hope it's just "Wolverine") forget about Origins. Don't watch Origins again. You know the comics origin, just keep that in mind.

Not everyone agrees that they really messed up with orgins. Some, like me, feel that it wasn't perfect and could have needed some different things happening...but was still a fun interesting movie.

Origins was not the only X movie that got the comic continuity wrong...so laying all blame on it about that is unfair.

So my answer to the threads title is.....maybe it will be better....let's hear more about it before we start grumbling.

Not everyone agrees that they really messed up with orgins. Some, like me, feel that it wasn't perfect and could have needed some different things happening...but was still a fun interesting movie.

Origins was not the only X movie that got the comic continuity wrong...so laying all blame on it about that is unfair.

So my answer to the threads title is.....maybe it will be better....let's hear more about it before we start grumbling.

Agreed.

And will it be better? I hope so.

I hope to god it's a better film. Wolverine was a stinking turd of a film. The video game had a more complex and interesting plot, which is truely unique.

It could have (and should have) been a very dark, tragic and violent story. It got FOX'd big time

I think this film will have to suck pretty bad to be worse then Wolverine. They could still accomplish it of course, but we'll see.

Probably not. I don't think it will do as well at the box office because of the poor reception the first one received.

^ I worry about that as well

like even if its better, are people sour on it now?

and could it be another undeserving underperformer for aronofsky/jackman??

I hope not, but we'll have to see

I think there is a very high chance this will underperform due to the current state of the franchise plus the fact they already told the aspect of Wolverine's origin the general audience was interested in seeing after watching X1-X3. Not to mention if this is anything like the comics then the story will feel very different compared to previous X-Men films.

I also feel First Class will underperform too though. I think Fox has finally gotten their act together several years after it would have helped this franchise.

Eh I don't know but a lot of people who know nothing about the comic books are extremely excited about the sequel. That I know, people here might not be, but you guys need to remember you guys know a lot about the comics that a lot of the mainstream audience that makes up the 300+M do not, and honestly don't care too much about.

BO will be fine, XMen First Class I don't know though, will be interesting to see how it will perform without Wolverine. Just do a search on Twitter or FB and you can see the general excitement surrounding this film.

Last edited:
Personally I think Origins did a lot of damage to the cinematic Wolverine character, X2 set it up perfectly and they pretty much screwed it up in my eyes, I didnt mind Origins as a movie, but when considered in context it did really screw up many things, and i'm not sure at this point they will be able to fix them.

That's fine, individual opinions on the movie are totally fine, good or bad. But I read this board and people generalize everything, thinking their own opinion is representative of the whole. Fact is some people loved this movie, some people absolutely hated it, and then there's people in the middle ground.

If this movie has good trailers and is a good movie, people will go to it. If it was mediocre, people would go to it. A majority of people that post here will go to it, especially if it's good, so why not just let it be and wait for the movie to come out or to get into production before calling it a dud or declaring it absolutely helpless.

I just keep resorting back to the fact that it's Darren Aronofsky at the helm, he didn't get Superman because the studio knew he was going to take some time making changes to a script that was NOT strong. Then he's in talks for Wolverine, the deal is close to closing, a set filming date is talked about and there's not one mention of Darren wanting to rework anything. From multiple sources comes the news that McQuarrie wrote a really strong script, it's good to go. And everyone here knows how different the Japan saga is from Origins anyways, so it's not really even a sequel, it could have a whole different tone and not give a **** about continuity and stand alone as a strong film. Just looking at the facts...

Last edited:
i agree but i mean i just don't like the x films anymore.

i mean i will always respect hugh jackman's acting talent. he has a leading man charisma.

and i think liev and hugh had a great onscreen presence.

i feel like the film falls apart after they get out of the prison.

i was hoping that hugh would just find a new character and they would do a first class reboot. but i really think that fox is trying to make up for wolverine being not only leaked early but being a bad movie too and not admit that they made a bad movie by going foward with Wolverine 2, First Class & Deadpool reboot.

its a shame that marvel doesn't own x-men. they would do it justice. but i love what they are doing with Iron Man-Thor-Cap.America and Avengers & Hulk its a beautiful thing.

wolverine-japan.jpg

i think that Wolverine 2 will basically be like a cross between The Last Samurai (tom cruise) & Orgins. So it could be a great film but if it is just mediocre it won't hurt.

this new guy could do it justice. but i think the problem wasn't gavin hood. its a shame because this film kinda puts him in a bad light. its clear that the rumors of studio interference were true and it just seems like the rushed everything.

infact i will take another look at orgins right now and try to look at the film as if i'm a casual viewer who doesn't know the story and see if i like it.

but who knows this film could be a classic and fix everything. who knows.
hugh_jackman.jpg

but at a bare minimum i hope they animate his claws better this time. it seems like the claws get faker and faker with each movie.

Last edited:
I still think the main issue with Wolverine 1 stemmed early on from the script anyways, the original Benioff script didn't have all the characters and all that, and then it was rewritten and added all that superfluous stuff. Not that Benioff's script would have made a great film since that had it's flaws as well. Which is why I put a lot of faith into this one because of the sources in which we've heard that McQuarrie's script is "different" and extremely "strong" and attracted some really great name directors into the mix. We'll definitely see how this one goes, I just wouldn't completely write it off yet.

The key to this being a good to great film is if Fox gives Darren freedom to make the film he wants to make. If they try to interfer too much again it can turn out to be a total mess.

With the announcement of the characters today, I'm a little more excited for this film.

If they cut the needless cameos just to be "cool" and focus on character interactions, then yes.

And no shots whatsoever of a character standing over a body, looking up at the sky yelling.

The key to this being a good to great film is if Fox gives Darren freedom to make the film he wants to make. If they try to interfer too much again it can turn out to be a total mess.

With the announcement of the characters today, I'm a little more excited for this film.

Agreed 100%. :up:

the thing is Darren comes across as a no bull crap kind of guy much like Vaughn

he would likely walk then make a studio interfered film

I'll probably see it but Wolverine on his own is completely boring I prefer when he's with the X-Men which is why I've never been interested in knowing about his past.

I have a feeling this will be my favorite X-Men movie out of them all. Bring on the Ninjas!

It's a great time for Wolverine to have his own, distinctive story and Japan is a great place to start. With this and First Class, it looks like we have two very different and interesting films shaping up, and there's less pressure now for Wolverine to carry the franchise which is probably why XOW had so many cameos crammed into it.

My excitement for this grows.

Agreed 100%. :up:

:woot:

I'm borderline excited for this film. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high since I was burned on X3 and didn't like Origins.

the thing is Darren comes across as a no bull crap kind of guy much like Vaughn

he would likely walk then make a studio interfered film

At least we can expect really good performances. Rourke said for The Wrestler Darren put him through hell to get the right takes out of him.

okay folks i just looked at all 3 x-films and Orgins. i mean at the end of the day, it made money but wolverine 1 sucks!

Hugh's popularity and the fact that he is nice guy has overcame the fact that the film sucked. the movie was a big toy for the kiddies.

This film could have been a toned down version of what we saw in the video game cinematics just with less blood but the same intensity.

or even some of what we saw int he animated series. and orgins really srcews up the continuity now. again logan will need to get another memory wipe so that he won't remember Yuriko in x2.

but after looking at all 4 movies - the quality of the story telling goes down after x2.

don't get me wrong. i love x3 actually. it confuses me that people are harsh on X3 but they don't bash orgins.

orgins is really hard to watch sometimes. i cannot believe how bad this movie is.

bad editing. bad-laughable SFX. bad fight chreography. the plot really sucked. i mean the movie falls apart after striker gets them out of prison.

and then there is deadpool too.

i mean in the first trailer it answers the question asked in x2.

why did logan volunteer for the procedure.? So it was because he wanted revenge for the loss of his woman?

in x2 it was bloody grimey and it looked like something from frankenstien. but what we get is something really really stupid that doesn't fit with what we say in the flashback nightmare sequences in

also when you look at x2 and orgins. i mean they are just visually two different film. one is a masterpiece and the other is a piece of crap.

but now that we are getting screen shots of Captain America and it seems like Marvel & WB or going for quality and they want to tell a great epic story but please the comic geeks too who know the story.

its funny. i remember Somebody at fox comparing Wolverine to Dark Knight and saying that its "easier to understand"

Not everyone agrees that they really messed up with orgins.

If you run a search on Twitter, there are lots of people who rave about WOLVERINE. It's my least favorite film in the franchise, but it did find an audience. I expect the sequel to be a lot better with Aronofsky and McQuarrie.

Last edited:

I think my biggest problem with Origins is that it managed to be just good enough to be mediocre, and thus made just enough money to get a sequel.

It's not horrible, it's certainly not great either, but it was just frustratingly bland to me. Doubly frustrating because it had a great cast, just a bad script. The amazing amount of missed potential is more infuriating then the actual movie.

However, I'm cautiously optimistic to this movie, considering it's based directly off my favorite Wolverine story. However, one thing that worries me is that the base theme of the Claremont/Miller store is Wolverine's struggle with his animal nature. They tried to do that in Origins. They just did it extremely poorly. So I'm hoping they don't try and gloss over that aspect because they did it in the first movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"