The Wolverine Will this really be a better film?

I think this will turn out to be a much better film than X-Men Origins: Wolverine was. Now, that said, I don't think the trailer sold me on this being a great movie. This looks like a decent movie, but I also have some worries. I think much of the backlash from Wolverine's last movie will be taken into account and we will get a better product, but how much better is yet to be determined. While I like aspects of what the trailer promises, the cure thing seems to be rehashed a bit here (why do we need a 2nd X-Men film focusing on mutation curing) and it took a long time for us to see any material for the movie. That can often times be a cause for concern. We're getting the next X-Men film either way, but I'd rather go into DoFP on the heels of an excellent X:FC and Wolverine as opposed to an excellent X:FC and a decent/mediore/poor Wolverine movie. I'd like to see a change in how Wolverine is handled given he will be a main character once again in DoFP. I don't want to see Wolverine's name get tainted more going into the movie. Hopefully The Wolverine fixes a lot of what has been wrong in prior films. But, the trailer doesn't exactly sell me on it yet.

While I think the trailer looked cool, I agree with a lotta people about this whole cure nonsense.

The Muramasa blade weilded briefly by an enemy would've been sweet, and would make Wolvie vulnerable in the battle scenes.

But this idea of "Logan, I can cure you" is quite ridiculous since he already had a choice to get rid of his powers if he wanted to, and he didn't even give it a thought in X3. Like, not even a brief fleeting glimpse of him saying "this nigh-immortality thing is a bummer". He condoned of rogue taking the cure, but he wasn't about to join her.

So why would he suddenly choose to ditch his powers?

w/e... I'm hoping the trailers were just focusing on what amounts to be a rather small part of the film.
The story's about love and honor, not the burden of having awesome superpowers (this also being something that bothers me about the Man of Steel trailers)

If there's one thing this movie and MoS shoulda learned from Avengers (specifically, Hulk) it's that no one wants to see their heroes being all whiny and depressed about their powers all the time.
We want to be them, so they should want to be themselves

Last edited:
Right now I wouldn't worry about the trailer. For me, the trailer of the 1st X-Men movie wasn't amazing but that film turned out to be good.

The cure thing does raise a good point and I really wonder if they're going to address it. If the cure is available, why doesn't Wolverine just take that? If it works, why does the old man have to develop anything for Wolverine? And if the cure doesn't work, what's going on in the world at large because of it? And does that suggest another genius billionaire developed his own cure for at least one form of mutation so soon after X3? Some people suggest that DoFP could be far enough in the future that the cure doesn't need to be addressed, but if this film is proposing another cure scenario so soon after X3 then that means the franchise probably will have to address the cure from X3.

Right now I wouldn't worry about the trailer. For me, the trailer of the 1st X-Men movie wasn't amazing but that film turned out to be good.

It turned out good, not great though.

This movie won't be great, but it will be immensely better than Origins. You can count on that.

Topping Origins wouldn't exactly be an impressive feat. It could be a far cry from a good movie and still be better than Origins.

If it actually manages to be worse... now that would be something worth noting.

While I think the trailer looked cool, I agree with a lotta people about this whole cure nonsense.

The Muramasa blade weilded briefly by an enemy would've been sweet, and would make Wolvie vulnerable in the battle scenes.

But this idea of "Logan, I can cure you" is quite ridiculous since he already had a choice to get rid of his powers if he wanted to, and he didn't even give it a thought in X3. Like, not even a brief fleeting glimpse of him saying "this nigh-immortality thing is a bummer". He condoned of rogue taking the cure, but he wasn't about to join her.

So why would he suddenly choose to ditch his powers?

w/e... I'm hoping the trailers were just focusing on what amounts to be a rather small part of the film.
The story's about love and honor, not the burden of having awesome superpowers (this also being something that bothers me about the Man of Steel trailers)

If there's one thing this movie and MoS shoulda learned from Avengers (specifically, Hulk) it's that no one wants to see their heroes being all whiny and depressed about their powers all the time.
We want to be them, so they should want to be themselves

We don't know the circumstances as to why he leaves the X-Men after the events of the Last Stand and how we left him. But, for Logan to basically say he's done with this immortality thing in this film means some pretty bad **** had to happen for him to just "walk the Earth for the rest of his day".

This is why I can buy the scenario in the trailer. Just think about how long he's lived. This film isn't about wanting to be mortal. It's about saying "screw it, I WANT TO DIE".

Okay, but again, I don't think too many people are big on suicidal-depressive superhero films

Wolverine's f***ing awesome, we know it and so does he
He shouldn't wanna die

^Living for that long must take its toll at some point though, remember at the end of X3 he had to kill the love of his life, or thats how he knew her, and we dont know whats happened since then.

Plus, the end of X3 showed that the effects of the cure werent permanent, so if this new thing is, or he thinks it is, it would be why he chooses to take it. We havent seen the movie yet remember, he may take it unwillingly, when Viper has him trapped in that metal contraption he doesnt exactly look happy to be there.

^Living for that long must take its toll at some point though, remember at the end of X3 he had to kill the love of his life, or thats how he knew her, and we dont know whats happened since then.

Plus, the end of X3 showed that the effects of the cure werent permanent, so if this new thing is, or he thinks it is, it would be why he chooses to take it. We havent seen the movie yet remember, he may take it unwillingly, when Viper has him trapped in that metal contraption he doesnt exactly look happy to be there.

Yes, living that long while still not closer to the truth of his true beginnings, plus killing the love of his life and whatever has happened to the X-Men after the Last Stand is a HUGE enough reason for me to buy the idea put forth in the trailer.

Immortality? Yeah, I'm done with you, says Logan.

But if Logan doesn't actually remember his past life and only has full memories of the last 15 years or so, why would he feel angsty about living for too long?

Unless they reveal that at some point he fully recovers his memories or something.

Yes, living that long while still not closer to the truth of his true beginnings, plus killing the love of his life and whatever has happened to the X-Men after the Last Stand is a HUGE enough reason for me to buy the idea put forth in the trailer.

Immortality? Yeah, I'm done with you, says Logan.

Remember he also lost Prof X in X3, the man who got him closer to the truth about his past than anyone. And again, we dont know the circumstances, maybe he takes this cure unwillingly, again, when he is in that machine with Viper in front of him, which I assume is the curing scene, he doesnt exactly look happy to be there.

Plus, he falls in love in this movie, that may be the reason he wants to be mortal, as he doesnt want to outlive the woman he loves.

The first X Men movie is the best Wolverine movie (even though it isn't a Wolverine movie). Hugh Jackman was good in that. But why do they keep making these crappy movies? 1 & 2 were a blast, but everything after that just sucks.

The first X Men movie is the best Wolverine movie (even though it isn't a Wolverine movie). Hugh Jackman was good in that. But why do they keep making these crappy movies? 1 & 2 were a blast, but everything after that just sucks.

So you saw the new movie, did you?

I didn't, but it has been done to death now. There's been 4 movies already. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Good luck trying to convince people of that. You may not like them, but clearly a great many people still do, otherwise Fox wouldn't see an opportunity for more business.

Good luck trying to convince people of that. You may not like them, but clearly a great many people still do, otherwise Fox wouldn't see an opportunity for more business.

A lot of people like the Twilight movies too. Doesn't mean that they should be made or are 'good'.

From what I heard, a lot of fans didn't like the last Wolverine movie. I guess they are open to being suckered again, though. :o

Hate all you like, there's clearly nowhere near the level of hate for these films the Twilight hate bandwagon has. There's clearly still a great market for these films because people enjoy them. You can let that bother you all you want, it won't make a difference to most people on here.

A lot of people like the Twilight movies too. Doesn't mean that they should be made or are 'good'.

From what I heard, a lot of fans didn't like the last Wolverine movie. I guess they are open to being suckered again, though. :o

Well, you're the one posting on a forum for a movie you don't want to see, which seems like a colossal waste of time on your part. Who's the sucker, again?

Hate all you like, there's clearly nowhere near the level of hate for these films the Twilight hate bandwagon has. There's clearly still a great market for these films because people enjoy them. You can let that bother you all you want, it won't make a difference to most people on here.

Yeah Twilight never received critical acclaim. X-Men received critical acclaim with X2 and First Class.

Maybe the cure doesn't work on Wolverine. His healing factor cancels it out before it can do anything. They should say that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"