• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shut Up and Sing- Just got back from..

MurphyMan

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got back from the best Documentary I've seen in a long time.
It was "Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing." A great movie about how the Dixie Chicks were treated for using their Free Speech to say what they thought of Bush, back in 2003. It was amazing, you got to see them at home and hanging around with their kids. You also saw their never ending fight to get their music released and heard again. I personally think the way that group was treated was amazingly unfair. They were simply stating their opinion of a political figure and none of the **** that happened should have happened.
Someone actually said "Tie Natalie to a Bomb and drop her on Baghdad."
They got numerous Death Threats and a lot of stuff happened to them, just because they decided to use their Free Speech.

Everyone should see this wonderful film, it was absolutely amazing and educating.

I like their music and saw something about this on 20/20 or something a month or so ago. Good for them. I'm not sure I'd go to see it though.

Well, it's kinda funny that they're using the free speech thing to justify their remarks, yet getting all *****y when people use their own right of free speech to criticize them. Granted, death threats and the whole reaction in general was over the top, but still...

They did not just criticize them, the public also threatened the Radio stations into not playing their music, and because the radio stations were mostly controlled by the same companies when word came down from one to stop playing their stuff, all the stations stopped playing the stuff.

People took her saying what she did totally the wrong way and she said a whole two lines before that you never hear about "We're on your side, y'all..." and talked of her supporting the troops and such, she just did not like Bush.
The media just concentrated on the more controversial part of her statement.

Well, that's why I added the last line to my post. You should have read the whole thing. :woot:

Personally, if I go to see a concert, I want to hear people sing, not preach to me about politics. That isn't what I paid for thus not what I want. I want to hear music and escape and just relax or have fun.

I don't have much sympathy for them, except for like I said the general over-reaction to what they said. They should haev just shut up and sang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"