Superman Returns Singer mentioned that this would vaguely tie in with Smallville, how so???

Discussion in 'Donner's Superman' started by TheBlueWolf, Mar 16, 2006.

1. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

2. The Sage The World's Finest

If interest in watching the show was about it being 100% faithful to the comicbooks, I would've stopped watching Season 3. I don't care if it's a teen show. It's a poorly written teen show. The show's flaw is that its writers don't know how to write.

But they were better written.

3. Super_Ludacris Registered

Yeah but you say that as a comic book fan, so obviously they've dwelled away from that and created there own formula. And as a teen show it's written better than most teen show, your issue is that it's a poorly written show in relation to the mythos or general comic book adaptations and it's clearly distance itself from that but has its own interesting spin.

4. The Sage The World's Finest

Being a comicbook fan has nothing to do with it. I didn't like Chronicles of Riddick, and my friends tore into War of the Worlds for having no real story.

It's a poorly written show in relation to the mythos and to itself. There's no way Lex would think Clark has super-strength because he was hypnotized. There's no way Martha would befriend Lionel Luthor who she knows has had people killed, had a vendetta against her husband and put her son under a microscope. And there's no way that old white lady would go down to an area of a city called Suicide Slums at night, particularly a back alley.

Now tell me, does any of what I just wrote have anything to do with the mythos? :rolleyes:

Get your head from between Kreuk's legs and open your eyes.

5. The Kid AMERICA FTW

Some of the show's writing is good. I liked the flash episode and anything dealing with the Luthor family.

And the fx are super good for such a teen drama sort of show. I wouldn't have a problem with them relating smallville to Superman returns.

6. Super_Ludacris Registered

But even you have to admit it's a well written show to maintain intrest, one or two bad episodes during the year or so dont make it that bad. You talking about Mathra wouldnt side with Lionel, and there's no way this would happen or that would happen. There no setting these ideas of what we know or you know about the characters from the comics and if this is how they progress this how they progess.
    And you know I have criticised the show about the desicons they've made the last 2 years, so dont even act like I'm defending it 100%. I am saying in retrospect and overall they havent done so bad. If the show is as bad as you say then dont watch it lol. My orginal argument is how some people take it to the extreme and spend months and months criticising something for not being faithful to the mythos and when people tell them it aint that serious they try to flip the script and act like they watch for being "laughably bad" when it aint even that. It's a middle ground average show. Why do people have to choose one extreme to the other.
    Even you know that's a fair argument.

Come on Sage, step your retrospective up. You saying I got my head between KK's legs but yours between the legs of the next fanboy. Be real with yourself and think about it: If the show was AS bad as people say then why watch it? I see with the remote in your hand going to WB on a Thursday, why aint you clicking off? you never clicking off?

So my thing is , you cant be melodramatic and choose an extreme. Average shows have potholes like this. Why dwell on that when this is the precedence they take?

Even you know you that's fair

7. The Sage The World's Finest

See, I agree there. It's just that they can't keep their quality up.

8. Super_Ludacris Registered

That's my point, but these wanna be like: a) Either its gotta maintan to a status quo mythos, anything else and it's ****ing up b) OK..... let me act like it's so bad because its not what I want.

9. Kane Guest

I think this is why I didnt watch Smallville for years and only really started watching this season.

Maybe I need another break from the show..

10. The Sage The World's Finest

Unfortunately it's not just one or two bad episodes.

See that's that bull****. If that's how they progress, that's how they progress? That's like saying if your boss fires you without giving a reason, you just roll with it. No, you wanna know why you've been fired and why you're out of a job. You don't just accept it.

See, my arguments aren't really about the mythos. It's about the writing. For example, I don't agree with Clark's decision in Reckoning, but it was a well written episode. That I cannot complain about.

Watchman said this before: Because sometimes there are moments when the show shines. It's like watching Rocky V: You don't care about it, and taking out of it sometimes. But then there's that moment when Rocky's fading and he sees Micky in his mind, screaming at him to get up. It's the same reason why people will buy All-Star Batman & Robin despite the poor writing: they'll miss Jim Lee's art.

Because I look at the show can see it could be better than it is. It has so much potential and it's wasted in pointless filler episodes or poorly written ones. It sucks, because you want the show to make it and it fails.

Nope.:doom:

11. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I enjoy Smallville when I catch it and I enjoy it for what it is. It's a cross between Dawson's Creek & Roswell with a twist of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

WB is the highest rated show on the WB for a reason, Smallville nails it with it's target audience, the 18-34 demographic.

I am actually right smack dab in that demographic but I think that Everwood is a better show on the WB. It seems to be a better written show, with better storylines, and better acting.

I would have approached Smallville in a much different way. I would have had Clark discover one new power each year on his way to becoming Superman. I also would have had the storylines revolve more around Clark saving people from natural disasters and everyday criminals, rather than crazy Kryptonians. The problem is that might get boring after awhile. I would have liked to see Clark with the glasses on as well, and play more of a fly on the wall.

12. Kane Guest

Honestly. Instead of random freaks each week, they should have just had a set of recurring villians.

I would have loved to see Morgan Edge form Intergang and have a bigger part in all this too. Their tech is pretty advanced.

13. Super_Ludacris Registered

That probably explains your viewpoint, if you havent seen the show consistenly for all these years then it explains your perspective. That's why I have been telling "where were you when the show started and the precdence is like this was set early on?".

14. Metropolis_Man Mister Doctor?

I am somewhat with you on this. I think SMallville is good for what it does, it is definately targeted towards a younger audience, because of his teen years. I think they could go in a different direction to make it a little better, but like you said it might get boring if it were just normal everday criminals and natural disasters.

15. Showtime Your Friend In Time

Intergang would have been a great idea, show how their roots actually started in Smallville or something.

16. Kane Guest

Well I watched a few reruns recently. Practically all the earlier seasons were freak of the week centered.

Honestly though, I didnt think the show was too divergent from the source material up until season 4. The minute Lois showed up and Pete Ross was gone forever, I realized it would never turn out the same...Lois and Clark going to high school together was a major change, major liberty.

After that, I looked at the show differently.

17. Showtime Your Friend In Time

That was my biggest problem, when I found out Pete Ross was gone. I also couldn't believe they brought in Lois.

18. Kane Guest

She really has no purpose on the show besides T+A, they seem to just be finding random tasks for her to do...to keep her occupied, shes dead weight at this point.

19. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I actually love the Chloe character and think that they could have used that tool, with Clark helping her to solve mysteries.

20. Super_Ludacris Registered

Those are plotholes that I mentioned but there not the kinda plot holes that turn everything upsides and with a show like this. If a show written in a simplistic way and we accept it because it aint Lost or 24 to have serious, serious explinations. But even with that it handles itself well and we know there writing towards a destination (ie Clark being Superman and all that, so everything else around falls into place)

That's the bottom line, my thing is that other people have complained saying Clark wouldnt and this aint that Clark Kent.

It's been like that since season 1. I mean look at how it set itself off, the FOTW and the almost kid, family like/teen warm friendly feel was always there. And all these things that make most go hmmmm are examples of a WB show trying "get dark or deep", it dont work to a normal audience but it's cool to the current base. Besides there's another Superman adaptation this summer. That Rocky metaphor deserves a "***** Please" though lol

And again youve just strengthen my argument and position on the issue. As a Superman story it has so much potential to reach still, as a Smallville story it's reached and crossed from the simplicity of season 1 and climbing while keeping it's conventions within the medium.

Vent ma-ma vent lol

21. Shamik Registered

Yeah, I didn't like that they brought in Lois, either. But, at the same time, I'm very glad they brought in Erica Durance. I think the writers are really struggling now. I get the feeling that they've already decided how the series is going to end, and they're simply feeling the void between now and then with...hmmm, how should I put it...crap. Same thing. Over and over. Meteor freaks everywhere. If you keep this reasoning, then practically anyone could kill Superman, because Kryptonite is everywhere.

22. Super_Ludacris Registered

That was really like the basis of the show. I always looked at like Buffy or Angel where early they would deal with a vampire or a demon early in the show but then progress to other things but they would always go back to ti cause that's the bread and butter.

23. Showtime Your Friend In Time

There is really no imagination involved in their storylines. It's as if they only are thinking show to show, rather than season to season.

24. The Sage The World's Finest

Sometimes you watch so much filler you forget what that destination is.

Well it isn't him, despite how good the plot turn out. But that's for another argument.

Yeah "***** Please" because you know I'm right, lol. You know I'm right negro. It's like buying a CD with a bunch of terrible songs because you like only one of them.

As a television story it still has potential to reach.

***** please. :rolleyes:

25. Metropolis_Man Mister Doctor?

Yeah, its quite possible that is happening. There really is only so much you can do for a tv show like that over 5 years time or however long its been.