Sequels Singer Toying With Possible Sequel Villains Already?

Pickle-El

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=3799&IssueNum=155

22cover4.gif

The New Big Blue
Bryan Singer envisioned a more human hero for �Superman Returns�

~ By BRENT SIMON ~

Photo by David James
He may be more vulnerable, but he's still pretty tough

ith more than 1,400 special effects shots and a final budget � according to its director � a bit over its green-lit figure of �exactly $184.5 million, but still well south of $200 million,� you might expect the hard sell from Bryan Singer on Superman Returns Warner�s reboot of its venerable superhero franchise. You might expect lots of wonkish talk about advances in CGI and eye-popping spectacle.

You would be wrong.

Describing the summer�s biggest action film as �certainly the most humorous and romantic� of the movies in his canon, Singer instead stresses its emotional relevance and familial rootedness. In fact, he even claims one of the reasons he took on Superman Returns was to help better get his head around the complex visual palette and landscapes of his long-in-the-works remake of Logan�s Run � surely the first time a film of this scope and cost has been described as having training wheels.

The biggest reason Singer had for doing the film, though � thus opting out of completing his X-Men trilogy � was his tremendous affinity for director Richard Donner�s 1978 original. Singer cites that, alongside Steven Spielberg�s Jaws, as one of the reasons he got into filmmaking in the first place.

�The time just felt right to re-experience this character, to address and celebrate people�s collective memory of him and how he�s evolved to now,� Singer says. �The adult Superman follows very much the journey that the younger Superman did, but the idea is that everything�s changed and is off a bit, that the dilemmas have become more modern. It becomes a movie about relationships and family � despite Lex Luthor and the villainy of it all.�

Aiding Singer�s intensely personalized vision is a decidedly neoclassical appearance, in terms of the movie�s cinematography and art design. �We were going for a soft, romantic look,� the director admits. �I call it Rebecca � (But in Color) � just a very soft image. And what�s great about the Genesis cameras we used is that they give you a lot of texture in the blacks and grays, and colors too, and we�re grading [the film stock] in a way that�s meant to further capture, in a sophisticated way, the romanticism of the 1930s.�

While he�s coy about certain specifics � in pleasant conversation he pauses and backtracks liberally, at one moment grinding to a halt for several seconds before confessing that he can�t continue a point of comparison without giving away a crucial revelation � it�s no secret that the film�s story grounds Superman�s plight in some very relatable, human stumbling blocks. Following a self-imposed absence of five years, Superman (newcomer Brandon Routh) returns to Earth to find a world that�s passed him by. While grappling with nemesis Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey, reuniting with his Usual Suspects director), he must also contend with the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), has moved on with her life and even has a son.

How will hardcore comic-book fans react to disruptions in the traditional Superman storyline like Lois�s child and other updated tweaks?

�I like to think they�ll appreciate [the modern touches],� says Singer. �There are always some fans that will have a very strict interpretation of what a movie should be, and perhaps they�ll only find parts of it that they will respond to. There are very few true, insurmountable obstacles for Superman, and frankly, on a personal level, the child is a huge obstacle for him to reconcile.�

Though he�s not contractually obligated for a sequel, Singer feels invested enough in the character to want to return and says that a vacation will help recharge his creative batteries and provide valuable perspective and fresh ideas. �I think the film plays out really, really well, and offers a lot of places to go,� he says. �The Superman villains have never been as iconic and memorable as, say, the Batman villains, so it might be harder to make sense of them for a larger audience. But I would be anxious to explore the idea.�

Superman Returns opens June 30.

05-25-06

Yah not alot of Superman's villains are as a cinematic as Spider-Man's or Batman's.

millennium movies said:
So he basically just confirms its Superman's kid in a way...

No he didnt. He just said it was Supermans biggest hurdle realizing the woman he loved has moved on with her life, is engaged, and has a kid out of all things. She has her own family now.

He in no way,shape, or form confirmed it being Supermans.

thatsabadoutfit said:
No he didnt. He just said it was Supermans biggest hurdle realizing the woman he loved has moved on with her life, is engaged, and has a kid out of all things. She has her own family now.

He in no way,shape, or form confirmed it being Supermans.

Agreed.

I love the constant 'question marks' laid out throughout the article....

Here's my list of vilains that I want to see.

Brainaic: Out of all of them, I would like to see him. I think he's a good middleground, from the likes of Darkseid.

Darkseid: I have a feeling that we will never see him, unless Singer really goes at it. He's too big. It's like having Apolclypse in X4.

Bizarro: He's cool, but he's more of a henchmen type.

Metallo: He has potenial, but they need make less of a Terminator knock off (not that he is).

Parasite: Another favourite. He's has awesome powers and he's not an alien (to my knowledge), so he could kick ass.

Octoberist said:
I love the constant 'question marks' laid out throughout the article....

Here's my list of vilains that I want to see.

Brainaic: Out of all of them, I would like to see him. I think he's a good middleground, from the likes of Darkseid.

Darkseid: I have a feeling that we will never see him, unless Singer really goes at it. He's too big. It's like having Apolclypse in X4.

Bizarro: He's cool, but he's more of a henchmen type.

Metallo: He has potenial, but they need make less of a Terminator knock off (not that he is).

Parasite: Another favourite. He's has awesome powers and he's not an alien (to my knowledge), so he could kick ass.

It would be more logical , if Singer used Metallo as the main villian for fighting in sequel and Brainiac at the end.

Then, in third film we will get Brainiac as the main villian and Parasite for 2-3 action scenes.

But I have feeling, Singer will also use Zod.

Cinemaman said:
It would be more logical , if Singer used Metallo as the main villian for fighting in sequel and Brainiac at the end.

Then, in third film we will get Brainiac as the main villian and Parasite for 2-3 action scenes.

exactly 2-3 action scenes? ;)

but if that new krypton is growing out there in space - perhaps there could be life or something growing on it that could be a future challenge for Superman.

Cinemaman said:

Im pretty sure Dan Harris and Mike D were planning to use Brainiac if the end of the novelization is the same ending to the film.

Everything seems to lead to his creation in the end.

I'm against Metallo as another villian, I dont see much unique potential with him. Hes literally a thug with a kryptonite heart, a Kryptonite freak of the week.......Smallvilles already overdone that.

Bring on the Brainiac.

halfapple said:
but if that new krypton is growing out there in space - perhaps there could be life or something growing on it that could be a future challenge for Superman.

Like *cough* Brainiac. The dark embodiment of Krypton itself grown out of Kryptonian technology.

What sucks is that alot of good Superman villains come from outer space, and it would just be stupid if evry movie had a villan from space. I guess Mettalo is a must, and Brainiac (seeing how they havent used any space villains for Superman: Returns)

Brainiac, Mettal, Dark Seid, Doomsday....I can't really think of any other SUPER POWERED villains for Superman, the last one I can think of is Conduit.

I'd prefer it to be like this:

Superman 2: Brainiac formed from the Kryptonian crystal technology in space as the planet as been reformed out there with him at the core. His creation is a result of Lex Luthor's actions in SR and thus it comes to earth to find Lex Luthor and Kal-El.

Superman 3: Lex Luthor's attempts to bring back Brainiac and channel his power and knowledge begin. Darkseid is planning an Apokolypian invasion of Earth but tries to draw Superman to him using the ransom of a 12 year old Kryptonian child survivor he has in his captivity (Kara Zor El). Superman puts it all on the line to find her and save her.

Superman 4: Brainiac is reconstituted as 'Lexiac'. Kryptonian villians emerge from the Phatom Zone with Lexiac on their side for the big epic battle for Kryptonian supremacy on Earth... General Zod appears with his dark master of pure hate and evil...who orhestrated the conflict between Earth and Apokalips in the previous film for his own enjoyment; Dominus. As this Kryptonian battle begins on Earth, Kara (the child from the previous film) whos now 15/16 years old after living with the Kents in Smallville for all these years....steps up to assist Superman as Supergirl.

World's Finest (with Bale): Joker and Lex, with the muscle of the dark shadows of the world finest duo: Man-Bat and Bizzaro.

That covers all the bases. Again, not using Metallo for him being a typical thug whos a Kryptonite freak (Smallvilles overplayed that).

Not using Doomsday since he was regarded as simply a plot device to kill Supes and thats really all he is famous for (and Superman already dies in Returns at Lex's hands) no need to do it again.

Kane said:
Im pretty sure Dan Harris and Mike D were planning to use Brainiac if the end of the novelization is the same ending to the film.

Everything seems to lead to his creation in the end.

I'm against Metallo as another villian, I dont see much unique potential with him. Hes literally a thug with a kryptonite heart, a Kryptonite freak of the week.......Smallvilles already overdone that.

Bring on the Brainiac.

As I think Brainiac isn't villiuan for fighting. I see only one epic battle in space between Supes and him at the end of sequel.

While Metallo is action villian for fights.

Cinemaman said:
As I think Brainiac isn't villiuan for fighting. I see only one epic battle in space between Supes and him at the end of sequel.

While Metallo is action villian for fights.

Brainiac for the sequel could already potential sound like the version from the animated series.....he kicked all kinds of ass in his drone-like form.

I think Singer wants villians with character and stories kinda central to the plot and the protagonist, and not Darth Maul-like onetime hitmen (thats basically what Metallo is).

Kane said:
I'd prefer it to be like this:

Superman 2: Brainiac formed from the Kryptonian crystal technology in space as the planet as been reformed out there with him at the core. His creation is a result of Lex Luthor's actions in SR and thus it comes to earth to find Lex Luthor and Kal-El.

Superman 3: Lex Luthor's attempts to bring back Brainiac and channel his power and knowledge begin. Darkseid is planning an Apokolypian invasion of Earth but tries to draw Superman to him using the ransom of a 12 year old Kryptonian child survivor he has in his captivity (Kara Zor El). Superman puts it all on the line to find her and save her.

Superman 4: Brainiac is reconstituted as 'Lexiac'. Kryptonian villians emerge from the Phatom Zone with Lexiac on their side for the big epic battle for Kryptonian supremacy on Earth... General Zod appears with his dark master of pure hate and evil...who orhestrated the conflict between Earth and Apokalips in the previous film for his own enjoyment; Dominus. As this Kryptonian battle begins on Earth, Kara (the child from the previous film) whos now 15/16 years old after living with the Kents in Smallville for all these years....steps up to assist Superman as Supergirl.

World's Finest (with Bale): Joker and Lex, with the muscle of the dark shadows of the world finest duo: Man-Bat and Bizzaro.

That covers all the bases. Again, not using Metallo for him being a typical thug whos a Kryptonite freak (Smallvilles overplayed that).

Not using Doomsday since he was regarded as simply a plot device to kill Supes and thats really all he is famous for (and Superman already dies in Returns at Lex's hands) no need to do it again.

SR2 - Lex will use man to make him Metallo. At the end of sequel, we know that Brainiac (kryptonian technology) was send to Earth.
SR3 - Lex will use Brainiac to get power of the world. But he cant understand that Brainiac uses him more than he uses Brainiac. Parasite is mutant, who want to get money. He is just action villian for fights.

Kane said:
Brainiac for the sequel could already potential sound like the version from the animated series.....he kicked all kinds of ass in his drone-like form.

I think Singer wants villians with character and stories kinda central to the plot and the protagonist, and not Darth Maul-like onetime hitmen (thats basically what Metallo is).

Metallo can also has his own story, which has connection with Lex's new weapon.

We can expect full Brainiac in action only for 3rd film.

Ya, thats the thing. I dont think we'll get 'action villians for fights'....but actual character-driven villians with a purpose who are tied to the protagonist (Kal-El).

Cinemaman said:
Metallo can also has his own story, which has connection with Lex's new weapon.

We can expect full Brainiac in action only for 3rd film.

I'd rather have Brainiac in the next film. Metallo isnt necessary.

Brainiac already has a deep connection with Lex (thanks to Lex being responisble for his creation). We dont need Lex behind multiple villians.

The Lex/Brainiac connection is interesting to explore; it reminds me of JLU's "The Return" and Professor Ivo's robot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"