The Amazing Spider-Man SM4: spidey, hero or menace?

True but Spiderman shouldn't be viewed the same way Superman is . If anything he's a polarizing figuare not the type who they give the key to the city to.

Spidey = public menace

Kraven = public hero
Yes, Exactly. After Spiderman's failed attemps to capture Lizard and save the city from this beast, they turn to Kraven who has had success in this field and promises to rid the city of Lizard. JJJ praises Kraven for his heroics and trashes Spidey since no one would understand why Spidey is trying to save Connors/Lizard.

I'd say they are going to look at him as a hero. However, there are probably still a good amount of people in New York who don't like him. Not everyone, but there still will be some.

To tell you the truth one scene I really didn't like in Spider-man 3 was the whole "Spider-man" day stuff.Spider-man shouldn't be celebrated by New york.He isn't Superman or the Fantastic Four.He is more feared/disliked then loved.

there is absolutely more story potential with a hated spidey than a beloved spidey. if you want interesting stories take the hero places he doesn't want to go, put him through the wringer, give him hell he will come out a stronger character on the other side.

'spider-man day?' 'keys to the city?' 'new york loves spider-man' *shudder*

The menace angle has been done before in these movies, lets focus on Spidey the hero...

They could show public's opinion similar to the scenes in SM1, when they interviewed passers by. It could be a part of a campaign induced by JJJ to support Kraven. They want to show that Spidey is not able to save the city from the Lizard and is even protecting the Lizard in a way (since he knows it's Connors).

They could show public's opinion similar to the scenes in SM1, when they interviewed passers by. It could be a part of a campaign induced by JJJ to support Kraven. They want to show that Spidey is not able to save the city from the Lizard and is even protecting the Lizard in a way (since he knows it's Connors).

Good point.

I thought the spider-man day was a great idea. It actually helped to show that people held Spider-Man in too high of a regard. It's like the GG said, If there's anything the public likes more than a hero is to see a hero fall, fail, die trying. He has a celebrity type status and as such everything he does is under scrutiny.

Better than "The world Unity Festival" ftw?

I'm not from new york or anything but I don't think thats a real thing. Would it not have made more sense to make it the Thanksgiving day parade? I mean.. the movie did have a scene taking place during thanksgiving...

on a side note. I think the results of this poll would serve to show how public opinion of Spider-Man in SM4 may look like.

The majority may love him but a little under half would still not think highly of him

A hero...but a hero humbled.

He's reaped the consequences of falling prey to pride. But now, the public should still love him...only he doesn't let it go to his head anymore.

Menace...it is time for Spidey to get knocked back down a peg:o

I alway though of him as a menace . He never offered once to clean up the city after all the damage he caused.

lol

He's a superhero, not a road sweeper.

I had to vote 'menace'. In the Spider-man comics I read he was generally thought of as a menace thanks to the Daily Bugle. I always liked it when Spidey would rescue someone and they would be surprised that he was doing something decent. If someone was a fan they would surprise Spidey and would be a kind of cool person who did not believe everything they read , 'I don't care what old JJJ says about, I always thought you were alright.' kind of thing, or it would be some little innocent kid who liked him. Him generally being regarded as a menace made those little moments of recognition that much sweeter. I got a far bigger kick out of those than any large crowd clapping scenes from the Spidey movies.

I like getting the mixture, one moment 'He stole that guy's pizzas' and then right after someone shouting 'Go Spidey go!' after he saves them with some webbing.

Even if he saves the city from some big disaster(like the end of Spidey3), the Bugle should have the power to twist that round in some people's minds to them thinking Spider-man was the cause of it all, otherwise what's the point in having a great character like JJJ, apart from comedy relief, which is a waste.
It's more interesting if folk distrust him, after all that was always one of the things that set Spidey apart from other heroes in comicbooks, no-one knew who he was(other heroes included) and there were a variety of opinions on him. Just like in real life most people believe what they read in the media, so the overiding opinion was that he was a menace.

I had to vote 'menace'. In the Spider-man comics I read he was generally thought of as a menace thanks to the Daily Bugle. I always liked it when Spidey would rescue someone and they would be surprised that he was doing something decent. If someone was a fan they would surprise Spidey and would be a kind of cool person who did not believe everything they read , 'I don't care what old JJJ says about, I always thought you were alright.' kind of thing, or it would be some little innocent kid who liked him. Him generally being regarded as a menace made those little moments of recognition that much sweeter. I got a far bigger kick out of those than any large crowd clapping scenes from the Spidey movies.

I like getting the mixture, one moment 'He stole that guy's pizzas' and then right after someone shouting 'Go Spidey go!' after he saves them with some webbing.

Even if he saves the city from some big disaster(like the end of Spidey3), the Bugle should have the power to twist that round in some people's minds to them thinking Spider-man was the cause of it all, otherwise what's the point in having a great character like JJJ, apart from comedy relief, which is a waste.
It's more interesting if folk distrust him, after all that was always one of the things that set Spidey apart from other heroes in comicbooks, no-one knew who he was(other heroes included) and there were a variety of opinions on him. Just like in real life most people believe what they read in the media, so the overiding opinion was that he was a menace.

excellent post and my thoughts exactly

SPIDER-MAN TERRORIZES CITY WITH SANDMAN AND BLACK SUITED FIGURE

Daily bugle editor and chief JJJ was at the scene for what could only be described as a horrific show of force as the sandman and Spider-Man's black suited accomplice kidnapped New York Actress Mary Jane Watson. JJJ could only watch and hope that the mysterious green masked vigilante could stop the three super powered brutes from killing the poor girl. Many new York’s would claim that the black suited figure was the true cause of the commotion but our editor's experience quickly saw past Spider-man's trick and even saw them swing together as they kept the green vigilante at bay in the air while the sandman covered the ground. The vigilante, although not recognizable, wore no mask as he had nothing to hide.

Pictures and article by JJJ

i say hero but i would like to see him don the black spidey suit again to help him with more power future villains and the possible return of Venom and intro of Carnage

SPIDER-MAN TERRORIZES CITY WITH SANDMAN AND BLACK SUITED FIGURE

Daily bugle editor and chief JJJ was at the scene for what could only be described as a horrific show of force as the sandman and Spider-Man's black suited accomplice kidnapped New York Actress Mary Jane Watson. JJJ could only watch and hope that the mysterious green masked vigilante could stop the three super powered brutes from killing the poor girl. Many new York’s would claim that the black suited figure was the true cause of the commotion but our editor's experience quickly saw past Spider-man's trick and even saw them swing together as they kept the green vigilante at bay in the air while the sandman covered the ground. The vigilante, although not recognizable, wore no mask as he had nothing to hide.

Pictures and article by JJJ

Exactly, and he could even find out that it was Harry O who died on the scene and spin it up that he was the only hero there. 'Tragic Osborne uses company technology to save high school sweetheart.'

spider-neil - yeah, he needs to be regarded as a menace to have that feel of the Spider-man comics. Any other way would just feel like any other superhero.

heh,

I still love the scene where JJJ is admitting Spider-Man was a hero in SM2 just to have the costume stolen from his wall quickly turning his opinion around again.

That whole sequence is superbly shot

HE'S BACK

*rips through the the paper, swings across the city, camera pulls back to reveal OCK watching him as he climbs the clock tower*

I'd like public opinion of him to be mixed. But rational people should be able to see his good deeds for what they are, & not buy into JJJ's BS. So I'd say the majority should view him as a hero.

The menace angle has been done before in these movies, lets focus on Spidey the hero...

I agree 100%! Let's focus on ONE good villain, and Spider-man please in this next installment. How about The Lizard or The Scorpion?
spidey.gif

I'd like public opinion of him to be mixed. But rational people should be able to see his good deeds for what they are, & not buy into JJJ's BS. So I'd say the majority should view him as a hero.

Y'know I realized typing up 'most people believe what they read and would regard him as a menace' might have been a bit of a negative view on people in general, but I was trying to think of a real life example that made me feel that's the way it would go(if there was constant negative media reports) , and why I think the comics presentation feels real.

The example I thought of was Simon Cowell from American Idol/pop idol/x-factor etc(bear with me), he has this overiding rep of being an insulting bad guy, when he says something that isn't too glowing or gives someone a knockback, the crowd all jeer, and when a kb'd contestant says 'You're a horrible man Simon etc', the crowd all whoop in approval.
But, if you listen to what the guy says he makes a lot of sense and is usually right.
That's what I think could happen with Spidey, and does in the comics. A lot of people would not look at his deeds, or indeed be present to see such deeds, and would unthinkingly take on board and agree with the constant reports in the media. Since Parker sells his photos to the Bugle, and JJJ has his bugbear, most Spidey stories would appear there, and would be negative.

Ok, if, as you say, most people are rational, and would not necesarily believe JJJ's ott headlines and spin stories, that's not to say they would go to the other extreme and believe Spidey was a hero. They might just think he's some guy who gets into scraps with other super-types, maybe he's a publicity hound who gets money from the papers etc.
I've never seen large crowds cheering for Spidey in the comics, maybe a small bunch when they have been standing there watching proceedings and have gathered that he's fighting for his life/their lifes. The crowd on the bridge scene in SM1 was like this, cominng after all the negative publicity JJJ had stirred up, they could see what was happening.

Spidey has always had the plot points of the Bugle and JJJ, they have to mean something in the movies as they do in the books. I just don't think it feels right that you should automatically have large crowds cheering for Spidey in the movies when he shows up, his is not that kind of story.

Y'know I realized typing up 'most people believe what they read and would regard him as a menace' might have been a bit of a negative view on people in general, but I was trying to think of a real life example that made me feel that's the way it would go(if there was constant negative media reports) , and why I think the comics presentation feels real.

The example I thought of was Simon Cowell from American Idol/pop idol/x-factor etc(bear with me), he has this overiding rep of being an insulting bad guy, when he says something that isn't too glowing or gives someone a knockback, the crowd all jeer, and when a kb'd contestant says 'You're a horrible man Simon etc', the crowd all whoop in approval.
But, if you listen to what the guy says he makes a lot of sense and is usually right.
That's what I think could happen with Spidey, and does in the comics. A lot of people would not look at his deeds, or indeed be present to see such deeds, and would unthinkingly take on board and agree with the constant reports in the media. Since Parker sells his photos to the Bugle, and JJJ has his bugbear, most Spidey stories would appear there, and would be negative.

Ok, if, as you say, most people are rational, and would not necesarily believe JJJ's ott headlines and spin stories, that's not to say they would go to the other extreme and believe Spidey was a hero. They might just think he's some guy who gets into scraps with other super-types, maybe he's a publicity hound who gets money from the papers etc.
I've never seen large crowds cheering for Spidey in the comics, maybe a small bunch when they have been standing there watching proceedings and have gathered that he's fighting for his life/their lifes. The crowd on the bridge scene in SM1 was like this, cominng after all the negative publicity JJJ had stirred up, they could see what was happening.

Spidey has always had the plot points of the Bugle and JJJ, they have to mean something in the movies as they do in the books. I just don't think it feels right that you should automatically have large crowds cheering for Spidey in the movies when he shows up, his is not that kind of story.
Wow, I actually read all of this, and agree 100%. :up:

Spidey is a PUBLIC MENACE!!!

That was probably the single most irritating aspect of Spider-Man 3 for me, and small elements of 1 and 2. Spider-Man Day? SPIDER-MAN DAY?! Talk about giving the biggest WTF-caused slap in the face to 40 years of history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"