So, is Teh Taskmaster a mutant?

Kool-Aid

Sidekick
Reaction score
In the recent issue of Wizard, they said "Taskmasters powers come naturally-in other words he's a mutant". I know he would need to have the X gene to be the X-Men style of mutant. My question is, is he a different kind of mutant. Does Bullseye fall under this? Who else would?

Bullseye's not a mutant, he's just very skilled.

As for Taskmaster, his power's haven't been explained.

I don't think either Bullseye or Taskmaster is a mutant(they would've been in the 198), doesn't Taskmaster have the same skill or power as Ronin?

I don't know. What powers does Ronin have? I only know Taskmaster has a photographic memory and reflexes. And it's unknown whether they a natural or a mutation.

One could say that Taskmaster is a mutant, since Marvel has said that prodigy's and savants who have inherent skills in certain areas are mutants aswell. For example, Forge is a mutant. His "power" is that he's very very smart and a highly skilled engineer. It just comes naturally to him.

The Question said:
One could say that Taskmaster is a mutant, since Marvel has said that prodigy's and savants who have inherent skills in certain areas are mutants aswell. For example, Forge is a mutant. His "power" is that he's very very smart and a highly skilled engineer. It just comes naturally to him.

That's not what Forge's power is. Forge has an intuitive sense of how machinery should work. Unlike a regular smart person who invents something, Forge doesn't have to plan things out or do research and development. His mind just understands, on a subconcsious level, how things work and are put together. It's similar to how a psychic understands a person's mind, only instead with machinery.

To me, Taskmaster has never been named as a mutant, therefore he's not. Until that specifically say he is, I consider him just a highly skilled human, much like Bullseye and Ronin, who were mentioned before.

DBM said:
That's not what Forge's power is. Forge has an intuitive sense of how machinery should work. Unlike a regular smart person who invents something, Forge doesn't have to plan things out or do research and development. His mind just understands, on a subconcsious level, how things work and are put together. It's similar to how a psychic understands a person's mind, only instead with machinery.

Just like how someone can sit at a piano without ever having trained in their life and just know how to play perfectly. Forge is a savant, which in Marvel, counts as a mutant.

The Question said:
Just like how someone can sit at a piano without ever having trained in their life and just know how to play perfectly. Forge is a savant, which in Marvel, counts as a mutant.

I don't think Marvel considers every savant a mutant. Mutant tends to have a very specific definition in the MU.

Plus, Forge's power is far more than that. It's hard to describe, but it's been shown really well a few times in the comics. Forge's power allows him to simple look at machinery and understand it. It's like everything he sees as a blow-up diagram, like these. Sitting down and playing piano is one thing, but understanding complex machinery to it's most minute part upon looking at it is completely different.

Can anyone write THE anymore? T'hell is with this TEH ****? It's teh stoopidz.

DBM said:
I don't think Marvel considers every savant a mutant. Mutant tends to have a very specific definition in the MU.

Plus, Forge's power is far more than that. It's hard to describe, but it's been shown really well a few times in the comics. Forge's power allows him to simple look at machinery and understand it. It's like everything he sees as a blow-up diagram, like these. Sitting down and playing piano is one thing, but understanding complex machinery to it's most minute part upon looking at it is completely different.

I suppose. Still, Marvel does consider savants to be mutants. Back before he was a hitman, Bushwhacker was a serial killer who targeted mutants. However, seeing as how mutants with major super powers aren't as common as they actually seem, he primairily targeted non powered yet deformed mutants and artistic savants. In Bushwhacker's bio, it did state that these savants were technically mutants.

So then wouldn't Dr. Doom and Reed be mutants as well if we're using that definition?

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Can anyone write THE anymore? T'hell is with this TEH ****? It's teh stoopidz.

The hell is with T'hell?

I often thought about richards super duper i can make anything intelligence. I don't think that in any way is a savant. The same can actually said about Luthor IMO to me hes no different than richards hes on that same level its almost as if hes a meta pre/post crisis to boot. I don't know why they just won't say.

Well actually in luthor's defense they could just say that kryptonite incident in birthright made him extra smart or something I dunno.

There has been hints that Reed Richards intellect was given to him by the cosmic storm and/or Mephisto.

I don't know why some people are so quick to write off any fantastic abilities as being "powers." The comic book worlds are just more fantastic and spectacular places in general. Why it can't be that the regular humans are a bit more fantastic or spectacular without being strictly superpowered is a mystery to me.

I think Tasky is just a skilled human with a natural talent for mimicry.

Red X said:
Bullseye's not a mutant, he's just very skilled.

As for Taskmaster, his power's haven't been explained.

He has "photgraphic reflexes" whatever the **** they are.

- Whirly

Basically, if he sees something done, he can copy it perfectly as long as it's not superhuman in any way.

The Question said:
Basically, if he sees something done, he can copy it perfectly as long as it's not superhuman in any way.

Yes we know that. But the question the guy is asking is...."Is that a mutant ability", of course what it's really a plot device. Magnesium flare ignited (from his first appearance).

- Whirly

Well, almost everything a character has is a plot device. The only thing that shouldn't be a plot device is the character themselves.

The Question said:
Well, almost everything a character has is a plot device.

Agreed

The Question said:
The only thing that shouldn't be a plot device is the character themselves.

Agreed again Captain Obvious j/k

- Whirly

hes isnt a mutant,people have photographic memorys and autisim comes in many forms,one of which allows somone to imatate movents and actions done by another,hell its not hard those in the chinese circus to do either.

Kool-Aid said:
In the recent issue of Wizard, they said "Taskmasters powers come naturally-in other words he's a mutant". I know he would need to have the X gene to be the X-Men style of mutant. My question is, is he a different kind of mutant. Does Bullseye fall under this? Who else would?
I noticed that; frankly a lot of things WIZARD says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Taskmaster falls into that shady area that some "skilled" humans fall into, like Bullseye or Echo, in that they seem to have a special "ability" yet have never been outright stated to be mutants before.

The thing is, where do you draw the line? Is anyone with genius level IQ a mutant? Can't any human be incredibly gifted without having an "x-gene" (which, at least after the 60's, is what makes someone a mutant). But in the day and age of trying to find a "gene" for everything, who is to say that a "gene" for atheletic apititude or smarts isn't an "x-gene".

Despite the fact that Taskmaster and Bullseye are both villians, they sort of point to the idea that mutants and humans really are more alike than different, and should strive for co-existance. But maybe I'm an old softie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"