The Amazing Spider-Man So now we've seen both, which was the best? - Part 1

But it's so fun! Lol.

I at least give pretty exceptional reasons of why I dislike a film; saying something is an "epic fail" when it's really not is quite laughable because it's just a silly fanboy trolling around.

I may not agree with your mostly negative views on ASM, but, yes, you usually give well-explained and specific reasons for not liking the movie. And fanboy trolling is just ridiculous.

They just wanted people to get the feel that Spider-Man was shooting his web out at the audience when they viewed the movie in 3D.

This.

Because...it's a slo-mo shot and only shows the webbing shooting out.

It's MEANT to look like the web is only being shot for a few inches as that's when it fades to black.

This also.

My 1000th post! Decided to spend it here. Just cuz i like you guys the best. :spidey:

While TASM has grown on me hugely through repeat viewings, it still doesnt beat Spiderman for me, Raimi's movie just got the origin perfect IMO, while the changes in TASM still jar a little with me.

Garfield and Stone are great in TASM though, they hold the movie together, while Sheen and Field add some much needed heart to proceedings.

I've always had a bunch on my mind about this topic so I might as well spill now.

I was like 10 yrs old when I saw Spider-Man. That movie will always have a special place in my heart. With the opening credits, to seeing Peter get his butt kicked inside the warehouse by Green Goblin, and a whole lot more. There's a lot of memorable things in that movie that become real warm to you. Can't explain.

But 10 yrs later, with the The Amazing Spider-Man, especially where I am in life, I feel is a great reboot. When I first heard that they were gonna do 4 and 5, I thought sure, why not. They could clean up the mess that was #3. But when I heard they were rebooting it, I thought man even better! Because I thought #3 was sort of a stain on a white dress sort of thing.

TASM has such cool stuff in it as well. IMO. I loved the score, and how Marc said he wanted a huge orchestra sound, but at the same time very intimate, I feel like that was nailed. Very memorable pieces in this. Two thumbs up to James Horner. The webshooters are awesome, the "young" love is awesome, and Andrew's and Emma's chemistry is up top. Them alone make the love aspect way better than Raimi's trilogy. Emma's Gwen is such a different character than Kirsten's MJ. I love the idea of staying in high school, and Marc's vision of a very modern/contemporary world (kind of like if Ultimate Spider-Man was done TODAY.) The wardrobe and everything. Love it. Maybe the villain was a bit weak, but still watchable.

With the Raimi's, I like Spider-Man and that only. I have things to pick about 2, and I don't like 3.

So overall, I'll have to go with The Amazing Spider-Man.

Last edited:
I am not surprised this thread went the way it did with the new shiniest, but after rewatching TASM, and appreciating the deleted scenes making Lizard a much better villain (should have been kept in), it is still easily SM1. While I think both Garfield and Stone are better in their respective roles than Maguire and Dunst (and Dunst really played comic Gwen more than MJ), Raimi's film is more satisfying. It is perfectly paced and a nice balance of light and dark, like the character. It is just also a more iconic film. Several things stick out in that film as pop culture moments like JJJ, the "With great power" scene, the upside down kiss and the final 10 minutes of the movie.

TASM sets the groundwork for a potentially great series. But the first Raimi film is still ridiculously superior in nearly every way. Just my opinion.

i prefer TAS because i wasn't a big fan of raimi's films and his take on the characters, while TAS isn't perfect but i like the characters better =)

got nothing to do with new or shiniest

For me ASM is almost unique with regards to superhero movies because I like it more everytime I watch it, most other superhero movies I like them less with every watch. I've even bought it on Itunes now so I can watch it on the tube.

I liked Ramis better and I thought his origin was a lot better then TASM despite I liked the reboot it had things I liked better than the original , I felt TASM could of skipped the origin and got right to it once the origin got out of way the film got good, I felt some of scenes most of the deleted scenes made story make a lot more sense and could of benefited from it I could care less about a longer film I like Spider-Man so I don't need a time limit..I felt origin from rami didn't have loose ends and felt like a comic compared TASM it blows it out of the water but now that origin is out of way we can finally get back to Spider-Man and TASM 2 is gonna be really freaking good.

I am not surprised this thread went the way it did with the new shiniest,

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to write it off as that. You're implying that those of us who prefer TASM are only doing so because we can't help but fall in line with the 'newest toy' as opposed to the 'tried-but-true classic'.

A lot of us have actually stated some pretty well thought out reasons as to why we prefer the newer one, and those reasons have nothing to do with how 'shiny' it is.

i prefer raimi's films. they seemed to just be more joyful. asm seemed a bit humdrum and uninspired. although it did have some nice touches, like pete making that huge web in the sewers to try to find the lizard.

overall though it just seemed like a joyless and uninspired film created just to kick start a new franchise rather than do something special. kinda like green lantern in that regard. webb will actually get a chance to push the boat out a bit with a sequel though.

:up:

Sad, but true.

So because I like TASM more than Raimi's films, I'm just joining a bandwagon with no thought put into my opinion?

I find your thinking sad. Just because you guys don't agree doesn't mean your opinion is "superior", have some kind of higher level of taste, or anything like that. It's funny how pretentious some of you are.

It's as if I'd say all you guys who prefer Raimi's are stuck in nostalgia.

So because I like TASM more than Raimi's films, I'm just joining a bandwagon with no thought put into my opinion?

I find your thinking sad. Just because you guys don't agree doesn't mean your opinion is "superior", have some kind of higher level of taste, or anything like that. It's funny how pretentious some of you are.

It's as if I'd say all you guys who prefer Raimi's are stuck in nostalgia.

Hah.

Few seem to not be just jumping the bandwagon, but a lot do. And DACrowe makes a solid point. After Spider-Man 3, many were just waiting for any Spidey film to come out that keeps itself away from Raimi's series as much as possible.

To ones who didn't like TDKR, they will do the same with the Batman reboot.

Can we apply that logic to you with TDKR, too? :cwink:

Sure, you can if you want. Although....does it REALLY fit since it's not the "shiniest and new" as it being Nolan's trilogy, or should I still have The Dark Knight as my favorite of the two just because it had higher critical acclaim? :cwink:

I am not surprised this thread went the way it did with the new shiniest, but after rewatching TASM, and appreciating the deleted scenes making Lizard a much better villain (should have been kept in), it is still easily SM1. While I think both Garfield and Stone are better in their respective roles than Maguire and Dunst (and Dunst really played comic Gwen more than MJ), Raimi's film is more satisfying. It is perfectly paced and a nice balance of light and dark, like the character. It is just also a more iconic film. Several things stick out in that film as pop culture moments like JJJ, the "With great power" scene, the upside down kiss and the final 10 minutes of the movie.

TASM sets the groundwork for a potentially great series. But the first Raimi film is still ridiculously superior in nearly every way. Just my opinion.

SM1 is more nostalgic, though I think TASM is a better "film." But I completely agree with most of what you said. SM1 set the standard for what comic book movies should be in 2002, then TDK did the same, and then The Avengers as well. Eventually there will be a new film that does the same thing.

I don't think that the original SM movie aged that well. It feels old when I watch it.

I don't think that the original SM movie aged that well. It feels old when I watch it.
The movie is 10 years old, and we have all seen it probably so many times since its been out. The Dark Knight has already aged a lot for me after 4 years. As I've said here many, many times, none of the comic book movies are timeless classics. All of them will age in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"