• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Solar radiation as a catalyst, you decide ?

yahman

Civilian
Reaction score
I've explained why I believe a retcon is needed, and to be honest i think a lot of people would regard a more scientifically accurate explanation to be most satisfying. ***'on most of us are geeks, and we like consistency. Im sure their are loads of you out there who have read the physics of Superheroes, or even the Superman equivalent? I know deep down you all want Superheroes to be consistent with natural laws. If they were, we could kid ourselves into thinking they might be possible. I'm afraid to tell you, this version of Superman; one of the most iconic, pseudo sicentific Superheroes out there, isn't.

Anyone who likes to pleasure themselves over Superman, generally regard him to be the best of the best. However this uber powerful character is nothing more than a human shaped plant. Is this cool explanation for a character who can stand by and watch God vs God and only get a concussion ? I don't think so.

It would be different if the mass audience where a bunch of ignorant pikeys, who couldn't tell difference between and atoms and a anatomy. However most of us are geeks , and we can! Most of you wouldn't mind if the Solar radiation was retconned into a catalyst, yet you tend to jump on my balls whenever i suggest it. I know im going to get a lot of stick with this thread, but its really important to me. I don't know why, but it is.

There is absolutely no reason at all to change the basis for Superman's powers.

Out of morbid curiosity, what do you suggest they change it to?

I'm fine with Superman being powered by yellow sunlight. It's kind of dumb, but so are a lot of other things in comics that we take for granted.

I've always wondered how stars of other colors besides red and yellow would affect him.

That would've led to some embarrassing moments with the Legion...

There is absolutely no reason at all to change the basis for Superman's powers.

Out of morbid curiosity, what do you suggest they change it to?

Either some form of mass to energy transfer, making his cells 'LIVING SUNS' or your standard link to vacuum/zero point/dark energy. Or maybe some sort of Unified theory link, i.e. his cells release the energy from curled up higher dimensions, which also contain Gravitons.

The first two are well within the realms of possible science, although both are quite improbable. The third option is total fabricated bullcrap, but i think it sounds quite good. Better than the 'Emotional spectrum' of energy any way.

I'm fine with Superman being powered by yellow sunlight. It's kind of dumb, but so are a lot of other things in comics that we take for granted.

I've always wondered how stars of other colors besides red and yellow would affect him.

You can have the different colours having diffrenet effects, if the radiation acts as a catalyst. Infact you have all the traditional superman science (i.e. yellow rays give him powers, red take them away etc.), it just you have a MEGA, un limited, Godly power source backing it all up. Not only does this make him more impressive (He's no longer the a humanoid plant), you get people curious about quantum mechanics, string theory, and general relativity.

If the truth be known, in a fight you always think Supes could loose cos he'll eventully run out of gas. By introducing an uber powersource, no more probelm.

I can understand why people generally don't care, but there are those as sad as i am. IMO if msot people don't generally care either way, why don't they try and satisfy geeks like myself ?

To quote a wise man :

Superman's not currently the same as what Siegel and Shuster created, either. Batman's not the same as what Finger and Kane created. Very few heroes, in fact, are currently the exact same as what their creators created. It's the nature of the medium for concepts and characters to change and evolve over time.

Speaking as a scientist, I say: no. It's a goddamn comic book.

Speaking as a scientist, I say: no. It's a goddamn comic book.

I suppose comics should abandon natural laws all together then ?

Have you ever read any of the science of superhero books or seen any of the documentaries ?

P.s. what field do you master in ?

I suppose comics should abandon natural laws all together then ?
Is that what I said? No, it's not. Pseudoscientific explanations are fine, but don't go all Warren Ellis on me. You'll end up missing the forest for the trees.

Have you ever read any of the science of superhero books or seen any of the documentaries ?
I've started a few, but wasn't interested enough to read/watch on.

P.s. what field do you master in ?
Paleontology.

haha I'm actually an Archaeologist and I'm fed up of people confusing me with Paleontologists.

What is the difference? Don't you all clone dinosaurs?

As for the topic...hell to the no. The solar energy thing is fine. It's a good thing thematically. And is it just me or have we had this conversation before?

haha I'm actually an Archaeologist and I'm fed up of people confusing me with Paleontologists.

I swear to God, if one more person asks, "like Indiana Jones?" when I tell them what I do, I'm going to burn Steven Spielberg alive.

What is the difference? Don't you all clone dinosaurs?

Basically, paleontologists study fossils and archaeologists study past civilizations.

I study Humans, he studies everything else.

I swear to God, if one more person asks, "like Indiana Jones?" when I tell them what I do, I'm going to burn Steven Spielberg alive.
I hope this hasn't dampened your love of Indiana Jones.

Not Indiana Jones, just the people who watch Indiana Jones.

Chaos theory chaos theory!

Now see tiny variations; blood pulsing through the veins, imperfections in the skin; microscopic imperfections.

Basically, paleontologists study fossils and archaeologists study past civilizations.

Dude, you're such a liar. You don't do ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"