Comics Speculation of Spider-Man Storyline for Summer 2007

spideylover89 said:
Yeah, but you just wind up at square one AGAIN. Sure Pete pursues someone else, but that gets old so they hook up permanently and once again the writers are stuck. This all just a temporary solution to something that is much bigger. How about instead of killing the wife, you get people who can handle a relationship, get the Parkers out of their very comfortable situation, and start writing about real world problems again.

The thing is- it's possible to write a long-lasting relationship well. The writers just have to think creatively. I maintain that if they write based on character, and not merely event- if they start off with who the characters are when they got together and work out where they would logically go based on the circumstances, then they can keep the relationship interesting. Especially since not every issue has to deal with the relationship. I'm 90% sure they'll fail. But tey're 100% percent failing right now.

Dragon said:
The thing is- it's possible to write a long-lasting relationship well. The writers just have to think creatively. I maintain that if they write based on character, and not merely event- if they start off with who the characters are when they got together and work out where they would logically go based on the circumstances, then they can keep the relationship interesting. Especially since not every issue has to deal with the relationship. I'm 90% sure they'll fail. But tey're 100% percent failing right now.

Which is exactly why it's pointless to go through all this crap to get rid of MJ because the relationship isn't being written well. How about get better, more creative writers and watch the relationship, and the overall storylines improve. Relationships are the least of spidey's problems right now.

But then, you do have to consider that after all this time if the stories regarding the relationship aren't working... That there might be a problem in the set-up to begin with.

The fact that so many writers have struggled with this relationship suggests that it isn't totally the writers' fault. Yeah, I can see lots of ideas that they haven't tried. But those ideas are general and could apply to any and every relationship. Not merely Peter and MJ's. Let's face it; the marriage was really a forced issue. The problem might be that these two characters really don't mesh as well as some might like to think.

Dragon said:
But then, you do have to consider that after all this time if the stories regarding the relationship aren't working... That there might be a problem in the set-up to begin with.

The fact that so many writers have struggled with this relationship suggests that it isn't totally the writers' fault. Yeah, I can see lots of ideas that they haven't tried. But those ideas are general and could apply to any and every relationship. Not merely Peter and MJ's. Let's face it; the marriage was really a forced issue. The problem might be that these two characters really don't mesh as well as some might like to think.

Great post. I think you and I view MJ the same way. We like her as a character, but we don't view her as an "essential" part of the book. If we were in control of the marriage from the very beginning we probably could have come up with a lot of ways to develop the character (and marriage) more interesting.

That said, we both realize that this marriage was RUSHED. Neither the characters nor the relationship had been developed to the point where marriage was "inevitable". It's obvious that most of the editors and writers in control of the character aren't comfortable with Peter being married and it's really hurting the book. Does it have to be this way? No. But, it looks like no one at Marvel allows to write the books knows how to tell great stories with a married Spidey. The more I think about it, the marriage was a creative mistake. Like you said earlier, those two characters don't mesh as well as some people think they do.

I still think it would be better to kill MJ off than to divorce the couple. I also think MJ's "death" should have nothing to do with Spider-Man. What's your take?

Eye Doc

It is nice to see to some people being logical to this situation.:up: I've felt for quite a while that Spidey's been an abberation to character he was originally conceived as. It feels more like Superman and Lois lane to me, where they're both essential to each other. For example, Lois should absolutely be in a Superman movie, but Mary Jane shouldn't have to be in a Spider-man movie. She was, as someone pointed out here, just a supporting character and was thrusted to great importance because she's Spider-man's wife.
I respect the fact a lot of people like the marriage because that's where they came in to Spidey mythos and totally understand it. But I feel like I'm reading about Niles after he got hooked up with Daphne (Frasier) and nothing's happening anymore no tension or exciting, I gave the marriage a chance because I love Spidey, but it's time to have Spidey the way he was when I started reading. Just my opinion of course.

"It's time"?Theyve been married how long now?

Is this the start of another Redhead to Heaven in '07, but this time in comic form???

ben_reilly_s_s said:
Whats funny is that I tried to give up the Books when they killed off Ben Reilly.
I didnt pick one up for nearly a year.
Then, when Mackie "killed" MJ I would've stopped buying,

actually i believe john byrne killed off MJ, but this was because JMS wanted to write stories with just peter for awhile.( thats what i remember hearing)

actually i believe john byrne killed off MJ, but this was because JMS wanted to write stories with just peter for awhile.( thats what i remember hearing)

That's not true. Bob Harras, Eic at the time wanted MJ dead. Byrne said that he thought the only thing worse than a married superhero was divorced or widowed superhero. He drew he panel with an escap hatch falling off the plane that exploded as a backdoor way of bringing MJ back. I don't know exactly how Mackie felt about the situation. I do know that Byrne posted his comments on his website.

When JMS came aboard, he said he wanted to work on Peter before bringing MJ back as a fulltime member. That could be why Mackie packed her off the Cali in his last issue

Eye Doc

Eye Doc said:
Great post. I think you and I view MJ the same way. We like her as a character, but we don't view her as an "essential" part of the book. If we were in control of the marriage from the very beginning we probably could have come up with a lot of ways to develop the character (and marriage) more interesting.

That said, we both realize that this marriage was RUSHED. Neither the characters nor the relationship had been developed to the point where marriage was "inevitable". It's obvious that most of the editors and writers in control of the character aren't comfortable with Peter being married and it's really hurting the book. Does it have to be this way? No. But, it looks like no one at Marvel allows to write the books knows how to tell great stories with a married Spidey. The more I think about it, the marriage was a creative mistake. Like you said earlier, those two characters don't mesh as well as some people think they do.

I still think it would be better to kill MJ off than to divorce the couple. I also think MJ's "death" should have nothing to do with Spider-Man. What's your take?

Eye Doc

I do agree with you. Especially about MJ dying of some non-spidey related cause, such as cancer or the like.

But also, there's a serious catch-22 with MJ. People often refer to Stan Lee's statement about how much fun it was to write MJ. The thing is, that when she 'allowed' herself to love Peter the fun side of her character disappeared.
The thing is that it'd be possible to maintain that persona and have her in love with Peter. But TPTB didn't really try, so we have the mess we're in now.

Dragon said:
I do agree with you. Especially about MJ dying of some non-spidey related cause, such as cancer or the like.

But also, there's a serious catch-22 with MJ. People often refer to Stan Lee's statement about how much fun it was to write MJ. The thing is, that when she 'allowed' herself to love Peter the fun side of her character disappeared.
The thing is that it'd be possible to maintain that persona and have her in love with Peter. But TPTB didn't really try, so we have the mess we're in now.

Dude, I love your post(s).

You're dead on about MJ's fun side vanishing when she married Peter. Gwen also suffered a mischaracterization as soon as she and Pete became an item. Writers seem to forget how to make women interesting once the "chase" is over.

Out of all of Pete's girls, Felicia and MJ (at least in her original incarnation) are the most similiar. They're both gorgeous, funny, and overtly sexual. When I read the first 3 issues of Kevin Smith's "The Evil that Men Do", I realized that I'd write MJ the way he writes Felicia. The sexual banter, one liners, and witty remarks is exactly how Stan's MJ would act in a marriage to Peter.

No writer has been able to recapture Stan's "magic touch" or "spark" with MJ and the character has lost a lot (if not all) of her original appeal. MJ was once a funny and vibrant character, but she's not anymore. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Let's be honest, if MJ was drawn as seductively as Felicia, and given her personality (which is really what she had in the beginning), showcased in one or two good storylines per year, and given a life outside Peter I doubt Joe Q. or any fans would be so anti-marriage. She'd probably be interesting enough that readers would look forward to seeing her in each issue.

Unfortunately, the writers and editors have never seen MJ as the asset she could've been (and still can be). Marvel views her as a liabilty.

Dragon said:
Well, first we need to face the fact that ASM #121-122 are long past being trashed. They'll simply have to remain classic reads but have no bearing on present continuity. It's significance was destroyed when Osborn returned, and Peter did nothing to bring the man who murdered Gwen Stacy to justice.

True. But then why undermine it more by having the real Gwen come back? Why not just have Norman Osborn killed off or revealed to be a clone or something?

And as for the Wolfman run, it was pretty clear that Betty was meant to be nothing more than a brief fling. If it was meant to be more, it would have been easy enough to end her marriage and re-unite her with Peter.

Also, I believe it was a set-up to have Peter "explore his options" while apart from MJ. And something tells me, considering that it was during Wolfman's run that we got a glimpse of why MJ was afraid of commitment, he had plans to develop that subplot but his run ended before he could get around to it. It would be another five years, give or take a few issues before we actually learned the circumstances.

Going back to Gwen's resurrection- actually it's pretty simple at this point. And, sorry to say, but ugliness like Sins Past open the door even more to her return, by involving conspiracies, foreign countries and "hyper-aging children". A creative writer can pretty easily find a way to explain how Gwen didn't die.

One way could be that the person we thought was a clone of Gwen Stacy is actually the real Gwen Stacy and that the Gwen that fell of the bridge was a clone that, while complete, never attained life, so technically, the Green Goblin never actually killed her because the Gwen clone that Spidey thought was the real Gwen was never actually alive. How's that scenario?

And honestly, at this point, I'm more hoping they do bring her back. Frankly, all of this "Peter can't go on without MJ" stuff is wearing thin. If anything, Spidey really started to go dry after he married her. MJ has had her shot. 23 years is a good amount of time to give a character to become interesting. Gwen only got 8 and they whacked her. The only downside is that they'll likely drop the ball with Gwen as well. Hopefully Jeph Loeb will handle her return. PAD let me down, maybe Loeb will get it right.

I have a feeling that the Loeb mini, at least the way he hinted, would be structured like an episode of Lost, in which the series takes place in the "present" with flashbacks to the past (most likely the Stan Lee/John Romita run) that revolve around a common occurance, most likely a villain. This way, he can explore the deeper aspects of Peter's relationships between Gwen and MJ that we haven't known before and explore the idea how Peter's past has repercussions in the present and the difficulty in moving on because of it. At least that's what I envision.

As for the proported JMS/Joe Q mini they're planning to "fix Spider-Man," I somehow imagine this ridiculous scenario: Mary Jane gets a new acting gig on Broadway where she co-stars with a handsome actor. She and the actor hit it off well. Because Peter is busy being Spider-Man and juggling two jobs and MJ with preparing for her play, they’re too exhausted for any quality time and their sex-life takes a hit. MJ is invited to rehearse a scene at the actor’s apartment, one thing leads to another, and they have a one-night stand. Feeling guilty, MJ tries to avoid the actor, but, like the movie Unfaithful, he keeps hounding her. Peter, smart guy that he is, suspects MJ is having an affair and confronts her about it. After she breaks down and confesses, Peter is extremely angry and storms off into the night to vent his frustrations out as Spider-Man and MJ stays behind, sobbing. Meanwhile, the actor has managed to find the web-shooters Peter gave MJ for her wedding anniversary present in Web of Romance, and now knows MJ’s husband is Spider-Man. Jealous over the fact that MJ is married to a “loser” like Peter, he sells the info to Doctor Octopus, who rewards him by “killing” him. When Peter comes home, he finds Doc Ock is there and has captured MJ and Aunt May. Spidey and Doc Ock fight but in the battle, Aunt May is seriously injured. Doc Ock is imprisoned and chooses to hold on to the knowledge of Spider-Man’s real identity for himself. Aunt May is hospitalized, which makes Peter feel guilty and finds it very hard to forgive MJ. MJ is guilt-ridden over her affair and how she was indirectly responsible for what has happened. Despite Peter’s urging that they can work things out, MJ decides to head back to Los Angeles, that while she loves Peter, she feels that her constant presence put him in danger.

So once again, Peter and MJ are legally separated. This leads to the back-to-basics approach JMS/Joe Q want for Spider-Man, in that Peter Parker is single again and, like the Clone Saga, there is no mention of him ever being married to MJ (only that they had a relationship). It also sets up the return and revamp of the original love triangle between Peter (now legally separated) Betty Brant (now a widow) and Liz Allen (now a widow and a single mom) with a jealous Flash (now once more a jock/jerk) from the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run. They can claim there’s added tension because Betty is in love with Peter but blames Spider-Man for being partly responsible for the death of Ned (and Peter feels guilty because the Hobgoblin, who gained his equipment from the Green Goblin, was involved). And Liz, being the widow of Peter’s best friend Harry, who was also the father of the Green Goblin, who blames him for the death of Harry, makes Peter conflicted, especially with Liz’s son being the grandson of his arch-enemy and Flash having eyes for Liz again.

Eye Doc said:
Dude, I love your post(s).

You're dead on about MJ's fun side vanishing when she married Peter. Gwen also suffered a mischaracterization as soon as she and Pete became an item. Writers seem to forget how to make women interesting once the "chase" is over.

Happens all the time. Look at "Moonlighting" and "Lois and Clark," both popular shows that were built all around the sexual tension between the two leads. Once they got together, the shows declined in the ratings. Of course, this isn't to say writing about married life can't be successful, considering shows like "Mad About You" and "Everybody Loves Raymond." If it can happen in one medium, it can happen in another.

Out of all of Pete's girls, Felicia and MJ (at least in her original incarnation) are the most similiar. They're both gorgeous, funny, and overtly sexual. When I read the first 3 issues of Kevin Smith's "The Evil that Men Do", I realized that I'd write MJ the way he writes Felicia. The sexual banter, one liners, and witty remarks is exactly how Stan's MJ would act in a marriage to Peter.

Well, Felicia's personality is a lot like Catwoman's, but your assessment is pretty spot on. MJ should be the girl who is always flirtacious and telling Peter to relax, although not be such a groupie like Felicia is. BTW, your description of how MJ as Peter's wife should be in the comics IS how Stan Lee portrays her in his newspaper strip.

No writer has been able to recapture Stan's "magic touch" or "spark" with MJ and the character has lost a lot (if not all) of her original appeal. MJ was once a funny and vibrant character, but she's not anymore. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

With the exception of Felicia (and even she was just a rip-off of Catwoman, or at least became one) every writer after Stan Lee who has worked on the Spider-Man books hasn't been able to come up with a character on the same level as Gwen and MJ.

Let's be honest, if MJ was drawn as seductively as Felicia, and given her personality (which is really what she had in the beginning), showcased in one or two good storylines per year, and given a life outside Peter I doubt Joe Q. or any fans would be so anti-marriage. She'd probably be interesting enough that readers would look forward to seeing her in each issue.

Unfortunately, the writers and editors have never seen MJ as the asset she could've been (and still can be). Marvel views her as a liabilty.

Actually, I believe that it wouldn't have mattered what woman Peter married. We would still be getting the arguments that Peter needs to be a young, single, teenager and that his marriage doesn't do that regardless of who his wife happens to be.

Actually, I believe that it wouldn't have mattered what woman Peter married. We would still be getting the arguments that Peter needs to be a young, single, teenager and that his marriage doesn't do that regardless of who his wife happens to be.

I pretty much agree with you. But, I still think even the naysayers would be more likely to accept the marriage if MJ were more appealing as a character and Spidey's adventures were as good as they were in the past.

The writers really haven't made MJ an asset or strength to the series. They seem to resent her to the point that it even affects their ability to tell a straight supehero story. I can see how having a wife robs Peter of much of the romantic subplots you could explore if he were single. However, Peter's marriage really shouldn't affect his crimefighting life as Spiderman. If you ask me, Marvel seems unable to tell a basic good vs. evil Spidey story with a solid beginning, middle, and end with the book's current status quo.

Eye Doc

spider greg said:
It is nice to see to some people being logical to this situation.:up: I've felt for quite a while that Spidey's been an abberation to character he was originally conceived as. It feels more like Superman and Lois lane to me, where they're both essential to each other. For example, Lois should absolutely be in a Superman movie, but Mary Jane shouldn't have to be in a Spider-man movie. She was, as someone pointed out here, just a supporting character and was thrusted to great importance because she's Spider-man's wife.
I respect the fact a lot of people like the marriage because that's where they came in to Spidey mythos and totally understand it. But I feel like I'm reading about Niles after he got hooked up with Daphne (Frasier) and nothing's happening anymore no tension or exciting, I gave the marriage a chance because I love Spidey, but it's time to have Spidey the way he was when I started reading. Just my opinion of course.

Agreed. It's basically a relationship that's been built on MJ being upset most of the time that Peter puts on the Spider-Man costume and saves peoples lives. Maybe not right now currently in the book. Because JMS does a good job of writing the marriage. But through the 90's that's basically all that it was, FOR YEARS! She even took up smoking because she was so, "worried".

Though when she started smoking it made things a little more interesting again. But during that time period MJ was really acting like a weirdo and if Pete weren't such a good hearted guy she'd have been kicked to the curb. :o

You know this is sad. Gwen's memory was tainted along with her death (one of the greatest spidey stories of all time), Peter Parker has gone from the average working man to a wannabe Tony Stark, the entire origine of spider-man has be questioned, we suffered through 12 issues of crap just to wind up with a stupid new costume and stingers, and all you guys are talking about fixing now is the marriage? Whether it's a problem or not doesn't even matter because there are so many things wrong with spider-man right now that need to be fixed, but we're going to toss that all aside to spend more time fixing something that is maybe only a minor problem. MJ is not the reason Peter hasn't worked a day since last year, she is not the reason a spider god is what made him a superhero, she is not the reason a single story can't be written without gaping plot holes and continuity errors, MJ is not the problem.

I don't care if you think I'm arguing this because I like MJ; I do, there is no denying it, but I also like spider-man and right now I'm having a real hard time understanding how anyone could think it's worth it to waste another six months tearing apart one of the most famous marriages in comic book history. I want spider-man fixed. I want good writing, solid stories, and shocking as it may be, something that doesn't try to proclaim itself as the event that will rock the Marvel universe forever.

You want the old spidey back? How about getting him out of the Avengers tower first? Maybe get his job back, take away the luxery of being an avenger. When JMS started out on the spidey books people really liked him, and for once we were starting to get some decent spidey stories, why? Peter had a job, he had to work his butt off just to stay in the same little apartment, he didn't live with his Aunt, and he wasn't dealing with life shattering stories every freaking day, he just the Peter Paker we knew and loved. And in the past year that has all gone to hell, not because he has a dull marriage, but because of two little events called Sins Past and The Other. Poorly written stories that ignored continuity and ignored the very foundation of the spider-man characters.

So the solution? How about instead of just kicking everything to the curb that doesn't work out, try fixing it for once. The entire time spidey has been married, has anybody actually tried to help make the marriage interesting. There are only like two writers who have been able to handle it. Everbody else walks in with the stupid attitude because they don't like spidey being married, and instead of trying to work on the marriage to make it better, they just made it worse. Turn MJ into a b**** so the fans hate her as much as I do. Lets write her the same way every issue because we don't want to have to actually work at making something better. :rolleyes:

So I don't care what you think of me if I defend the marriage, to me it's a part of spidey's history and I like it. It can work it people actually tried, but it's just far too easy to stop caring and give up on it. All I know is the second MJ is gone, so am I. :spidey:

Perhaps they think that all of the things wrong with Spider-man (I liked The Other all the same and would like to see his new powers explored to be honest, I find the whole Totem thing interesting to be honest) branch out from one point. That point being the marriage between Peter and MJ. I don't actually see how it could be but hey my knowledge of Spider-man comics is limited.

I don't think anyoen can say that the marriage wasn't rushed. Every comment on it seems to agree that it was done that way and there wasn't much of a build up to it to readers believe they should be married. Even so fo the writers at the time didn't want it to happen. All of that isn't a good foundation I think.

Better writing is needed I agree, but more then that I think better planning might be the way to go. Take advantage of the three titles better I think. Instead of having all these storylines going why not use two of them to tell a single story and make one a single issue story deal. This way they can get through and try new ideas. Make the two titles canon and the other not but try out their new ideas and directions there instead of making everything canon and then trying to fix it later on via retcons or just undoing things.

The Other introduced me into Spidey comics to be honest. I was mainly a movie and cartoon fan before, though I was reading Ultiamte Spider-man. The Other introduced me to 616 Spidey. I like the story but I think that might be because I didn't read what came before. I didn't read Sin's Past and I don't think I ever want to after reading summaries of it.

I'm starting to think that if they want to fix things just seriously reboot the entire character. Not deage him or anything but throught some mystical means redo his past, fix things and show them change through a montage of images and just continue on. Evne after Civil War, just rework Spidey as a New Avenger member (keep him as that, he's earned it I feel and that annoys me when people say he shouldn't be apart of it) and his Civil War interactions to fit the new changes and just have all other Marvel titles recognized or reference the new changes and not the old ones. Then move on from that. Make it clear to the readers in the title via letter what was done and move on.

Effect said:
Perhaps they think that all of the things wrong with Spider-man (I liked The Other all the same and would like to see his new powers explored to be honest, I find the whole Totem thing interesting to be honest) branch out from one point. That point being the marriage between Peter and MJ. I don't actually see how it could be but hey my knowledge of Spider-man comics is limited.

Now you're starting to sound like Joe Q. ;)

I don't think anyoen can say that the marriage wasn't rushed. Every comment on it seems to agree that it was done that way and there wasn't much of a build up to it to readers believe they should be married. Even so fo the writers at the time didn't want it to happen. All of that isn't a good foundation I think.

It's been almost 20 years, when are they going to just get over it. So the marriage was rushed, they've had plenty of time to flesh it out, but have they? Things were starting to look good in the development department when MJ got pregnant, but we all know how that turned out. I think it's time to get over the whole rushed thing and start moving the relationship forward instead of keeping it stuck in the same boring place.

Better writing is needed I agree, but more then that I think better planning might be the way to go. Take advantage of the three titles better I think. Instead of having all these storylines going why not use two of them to tell a single story and make one a single issue story deal. This way they can get through and try new ideas. Make the two titles canon and the other not but try out their new ideas and directions there instead of making everything canon and then trying to fix it later on via retcons or just undoing things.

I definitely agree with you on that. Too much is going on between three seperate issues, it doesn't even feel like one universe anyomre. And the retconning/undoing seriously needs to stop. How far are they going to go before all continuity is lost due to constant do-overs.

The Other introduced me into Spidey comics to be honest. I was mainly a movie and cartoon fan before, though I was reading Ultiamte Spider-man. The Other introduced me to 616 Spidey. I like the story but I think that might be because I didn't read what came before. I didn't read Sin's Past and I don't think I ever want to after reading summaries of it.

Haha, good choice. If you want to get a feel for some good spidey stories check out the essential books. I started out with those and they really give you a good appreciation for spidey's history...and good writing.

I'm starting to think that if they want to fix things just seriously reboot the entire character. Not deage him or anything but throught some mystical means redo his past, fix things and show them change through a montage of images and just continue on. Evne after Civil War, just rework Spidey as a New Avenger member (keep him as that, he's earned it I feel and that annoys me when people say he shouldn't be apart of it) and his Civil War interactions to fit the new changes and just have all other Marvel titles recognized or reference the new changes and not the old ones. Then move on from that. Make it clear to the readers in the title via letter what was done and move on.

I think people are less upset about spidey being an avenger and more upset with what it has done to his character. Since he joined the team he's been somewhat dumbed down. He is just as good a hero as Iron Man and Cap, but he's treated like the rookie. Plus he's become Tony Stark's lap dog and that's frustrating. I think if it was handled better, this whole avengers thing would have been much more accepted by the fans.

From what I've seen,Spidey comes off more like a side-kick on the Avengers

Spiderman needs someone to come home to. How many of you guys are married ? WTF she is vital because she gives him hope. He deserves success not to be the friggin Charlie Brown of the Marvel Universe in every aspect. Lose the job and maybe even the superhero friends, but in no way do you play around and make him all alone. Shoot if I want love triangles I'll read archie dammit.

I'm 31 and I've been reading since I was five. All of the major things I've been
through; clones, totem, costumes, space travel, buried alive.. MJ was there worrying with me. The marriage is one of the great things about spiderman books. I don't always see the dynamic written to its potential, but it is inherant that they belong together.

Everyone can't possibly be as lonely as you happiness hating bastards. So live vicariously through the nice guy that finishes second every once in a while.

And another thing. If he stays in the Avengers can he have some ideas ? He's been a hero just as long as everyone except Cap (wolverine doesn't count. he's a killer). I'm tired of the poor Pete needs help, Infirmary with broken ribs, errand boy hero. Dammit even Dick Grayson gets respect !

There are a couple of things I would like to see happen by the end of this year....

1) The whole mistical side of Spider-Man is wrapped up and finished with.

2) Spider-Man keeps the new costume with a few downgrades and with the old design or he creates a new costume with a few of the upgrades that he has liked in the new suit.

3) Mary Jane becomes more fun and easy going and makes friends of her own to hang out with outside Peter and the avengers

4) Spider man stays with the avengers but moves out of the Avengers mansion

5) He quits his job as Tony's secound and maybe gets a job as a supervisor for one of Starks small R&D deparments (maybe in charge of a small group or working on a project on his own)

Now if it was up to me (and thank god it is not because I dont think I could live with all the hatred that would be directed at me by the fans) I would rap up the mistical side of the story as quickly as possible. Maybe have a final confrontation where Peter has to make a decision forced upon him by the "Spider god" to choose to evolve into a higher being. We could have a story where MJ is dieing for some reason (sickness/injury) and Peter decides to use his new powers to heal her instead of evolving and by the end looses all his powers and becomes normal.

This near death could spearhead MJ's reflection on how she used to be and her decision to be more outgoing and live life to the fullest, like in her younger years. This can then remind Peter of his dreams as a young boy and of his love for sience and he can start using his brain again. He could tell all this to Stark and he could end up getting the job mentioned above.

This could also lead to a short arc where Peter struggles with his sense of powerless at not being able to help people anymore. He could even try and upgrade his new suite to try and simulate some of his spider powers so that he can go out and help people again, proving that it was not the powers that made Peter become a hero but a deep need to help people in need. This could lead to him getting his ass kicked since the suite is only simulating his powers and maybe even getting distroyed.

In the end his powers would come back to him but this would be the raidioactive spider bite reasserting itself rather than the whole mistical storyline, and we could end up with spiderman without the whole organic webs and the rest. And with the new resources he has and his rediscovery of his love for science we would see the return of the smart Peter who did not solve all his problems with his fists.

Anyway that is the way I would go about it, but lets face it the chances of even one of those ideas ever happening are very slim. I just hope that some of the stories I have heard serculating are not true (Such as Spidey leaving the Avengers, MJ leaving or him going back to work for the Buigle).

P.S. Let me know what everyone thinks of my ideas.... Just know that if you call them crap I will have to do something which you might regreat.

Abaddon said:
From what I've seen,Spidey comes off more like a side-kick on the Avengers

What makes him come off as a sidekick on the Avengers. It's a team. Not everyone is going to get the spotlight. And just because Spider-Man is the most popular Marvel superhero doesn't mean that the writers are going to make him the leader of the Avengers or something.

SpideyInATree said:
What makes him come off as a sidekick on the Avengers. It's a team. Not everyone is going to get the spotlight. And just because Spider-Man is the most popular Marvel superhero doesn't mean that the writers are going to make him the leader of the Avengers or something.

You're right, he doesn't need to be a leader, but he definitely deserves more respect. Pete is a brilliant guy and he has saved the world plenty of times as spider-man, and yet he's been reduced to a yesman for Tony. Look at how he was treated at the senate meeting. It was "just keep your mouth shut," as if his opinion wasn't as valuable. Pete had some excellent points and instead of supporting him, Tony just sits by and shakes his head. There's nothing wrong with spidey being in the avengers, but he should be respected for the great hero he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"