Comics Boycotting Spider-Man

I am just a humble member of the Arachknights here to spread word of our cause.

Here are the words of our founder:

Heck, why stop there?

I'm boycotting anything with pictures and words! THAT'LL TEACH 'EM!

:whatever::whatever::whatever:

Ok as one of the most vocal boycotters of OMD peter parker on this board, I want to go on record as saying that's a horrible idea. One you're calling for someone, someone who in many ways helped save marvel, to get fired for their personal, though wrong, beliefs. That's petty and self-serving. And two you're calling for a boycott of an entire company for one factor. There are a lot of good marvel comics out there by different writers but you want to torpeado the whole thing for one issue? It's like a little kid holding their breath.

You want change, be an adult about it. Boycott the thing you have an issue with, nothing more and be as vocal as possible about the problems so they're kept in the forefront. What you cannot ever do is to show that you've become a raving lunatic or fanatic because those people don't count for anything in reality. Don't boycott marvel, boycott ASM (it's not hard, it's pretty bad with all the nonsense anyway). Use that money for something else, support a good marvel book like incredible herc or spider-girl or any of the other excellent stuff out there, or go one better and try an independent.

What's needed is patience and persistance, not grand and half assed gestures. We did it for the clone saga, we can do it again but it only works if we do it as responsible buyers and consumers and not fanatics.

But Quesada has proven that that wont stop him!
I've heard, from more than one comic store, that they lost 90% of their ASM subscribers. 90%!!!
Quesada doesn't seem to care one way or the other. The other thing that the Arachknights are worried about is that he'll start messing with other comics which is why we're telling him, enough is enough.

And I know for a fact that the fanatics not only count in reality, but they are the most import readers.
I've talked to the many owners of the many comic book store in my area and they say that no one notices when a few random fans pick a few intressting comics off the shelfs. They take notice when LOYAL fans subscribe and get the stores to order extra copies.

And about reading other good comics like SPIDER-GIRL (my favorite title), Quesada is cancelling it because "Mary Jane and Peter are still married in the title." This is spreading beyond ASM. It needs to be stopped before the heroes we know and love are gone for good.

I've heard, from more than one comic store, that they lost 90% of their ASM subscribers. 90%!!!
Quesada doesn't seem to care one way or the other. The other thing that the Arachknights are worried about is that he'll start messing with other comics which is why we're telling him, enough is enough.

And I know for a fact that the fanatics not only count in reality, but they are the most import readers.
I've talked to the many owners of the many comic book store in my area and they say that no one notices when a few random fans pick a few intressting comics off the shelfs. They take notice when LOYAL fans subscribe and get the stores to order extra copies.

And about reading other good comics like SPIDER-GIRL (my favorite title), Quesada is cancelling it because "Mary Jane and Peter are still married in the title." This is spreading beyond ASM. It needs to be stopped before the heroes we know and love are gone for good.

When you have to resort to making up crap to prove your point, you only prove how delusional you are.

And "Arachknights"?? Well I suppose if giving yourself some cheesy gang title helps, so be it.

Me? I'll continue to buy comics that I enjoy. Like Amazing Spider-Man. Oh, and like Amazing Spider-Man Family which will continue the Spider-Girl story along with the married MJ and Peter that you think Quesada's trying to erase from existence.

Again...:whatever:

When you have to resort to making up crap to prove your point, you only prove how delusional you are.

And "Arachknights"?? Well I suppose if giving yourself some cheesy gang title helps, so be it.

Me? I'll continue to buy comics that I enjoy. Like Amazing Spider-Man. Oh, and like Amazing Spider-Man Family which will continue the Spider-Girl story along with the married MJ and Peter that you think Quesada's trying to erase from existence.

Again...:whatever:

Aloha,
The term Arachknight was first used by Todd McFarlane in his debut issue of Spider-Man.
page1_01c00000L.jpg

We are not a gang-we are a philosophy.Our driving principle-With great power comes great responsibility.:spidey:
Spidey rules

Aloha,
The term Arachknight was first used by Todd McFarlane in his debut issue of Spider-Man.
page1_01c00000L.jpg

We are not a gang-we are a philosophy.Our driving principle-With great power comes great responsibility.:spidey:
Spidey rules

Oh, I definitely know where the term comes from!

I'm just saying, it's annoying enough when any anti-BNDers put up the whole Holier-Than-Thou attitude, but now there's a couple that are naming themselves like they're in some sort of exclusive club?? It's just laughable.

Note: I'm not saying that ALL anti-BND people are like this. There are plenty that are very good at voicing their opinions without trying to make themselves sound like the only "true" Spider-Man fans, and the above comment is not directed to them.

I seem to recall the term "Arachknight" being first used by Peter David in his run on Spectacular Spider-Man circa '85 or '86... I remember reading it (and this was shortly after The Dark Knight Returns was released) and I rolled my eyes a tad...

I need to look it up on Donald's site...

:yay:

Getting the Q fired? No.

You hate the OMD/BND thing, that's cool. I hate it, too. However, alot of people like it. The Spidey books are selling more now than they were a year ago, and that's what matters in the grand scheme of things. Each one of those numbers is a person who likes it. That, or there are a few poeple buying thousands of copies each.

I'm not a fan of the new direction, and I haven't bought any Spidey other thatn Ultimate, Spider-Girl, and Amazing Spider-Man Family since the reboot....but firing the guy who is keeping Marvel afloat and who has made Captain America an A-list book again, that's beyond stupid. Marvel is a business, first and foremost. They are out to make money.

Also, firing Quesada wouldn't change anything for the better.

Also, firing Quesada wouldn't change anything for the better.

And you should be extremely wary of getting what you wish for, because next in line at Marvel for EIC could very likely be

DUM dum DUMMMMMMM....

[BLACKOUT]Bendis.[/BLACKOUT]

ok.

One: quasada isn't the ****ing devil, just a misguided fan trying to do what he thinks is best. Kinda like the people reading ASM right now (decent types, just misguided).

Two: if that many people actually stopped reading the book, we'd already have peter parker as a hero again, they haven't yet. But craptacular stories are leading the way to this. (menance is just sooooo cool)

Three: he's a pretty decent guy overall, people that want his destruction are a fanatical.

Four: Incredible Herc, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captian America, Iron Fist, AtI, Thor....all good reasons to not boycott Marvel. Some of the new directions are pretty damn good.

Five: everything Shin said, that guy's got a damn fine head on his shoulders.

I have to confess, what kind of amuses me in this debate is that I stopped reading ASM back in the day BECAUSE of the marriage. I thought it was a poorly conceived gimmick without any sort of foundation that was not at all true to the character of Peter Parker. I boycotted the title for a good two years because I thought the marriage had ruined him--especially marriage to the shallow model MJ. I was a Gwen-o-phyle and could have at least understood had Pete married Betty (though I thought marrying the character off was generally a bad idea) but not MJ. Well, to make a long story short, I got over it, came back to the character, never exactly liked the fact Pete was married to MJ, but I got back to enjoying the stories and the character. I like the direction BND is headed. No, I thought the "deal" with Mephisto was an abomination, and not true to the character, but I liked the end result. To me, the biggest problem with the character today is the lack of relevance. The old Lee/Ditko stories were poorly written by today's standards, but many had a social awareness the present stories lack. Pete also had much more of an "edge" back then as well. If it were up to me, I'd kill USM--despite the fact I love Bendis as a writer, I think the USM Pete has little to do with the 616 Pete--kill Marvel Adventures--I hate the idea of a "kiddie title"-- and work to make ASM the best it can be. I think Marvel's trying to do that. While I'm probably a minority, I think Quesada's done a bang up job on the Marvel Universe. I still think he's a fan first and a corporate guy second. He's got a tough balance to maintain, and I think he's done a (pardon the bad pun) marvelous job.

Gwen was awesome. Over time, they basically turned MJ into Gwen. That was part of Raimi's inside joke of using a natural blone (Dunst) for MJ and a natural redhead (Howard) for Gwen. I just hope Marvel doesn't screw up and re-marry Pete. I only want them to repair the Mephisto part of it--maybe make MJ the deal maker and leave Pete out of it.

People who are alike rarely make good couples, and if they do they always end up boring as hell.

Just wait for ASM 666 and the revamp. (around the time ASM drops below 40K, stop buying people, I know you want to scratch that itch, but it will only lead to infection).

Personally I liked that Peter Parker was the most normal superhero in that he actually had a wife and life outside of being a superhero. It wasn't just a secret identity, it was the real Peter Parker, and that was a level of awesome Superman or Batman or anyone else couldn't come close too. But now he doesn't deserve to come home to some like that. Probably the only thing OMD/BND has right is that the person Peter deserves to come home to currently is Vin.

I disagree. It's just a matter of preferences. I liked the fact he wouldn't drink because he was worried about what might happen if he got loaded. I liked the fact he ended relationships because he knew he would put those whom he loved most at risk if his secret identity were ever revealed. To me, part of the "great responsibility" was knowing that he could never live a normal life as long as he chose to remain Spider-Man. Much of the tension in the earlier stories was premised on his desire to live a normal life and his recognition that to do so, he would need to abandon being Spidey forever. His desire for a normal life was always in conflcit with his belief that he had to use his powers because of his responsibility. I thought the marriage--especially to a character like MJ--betrayed the basic tenets of what made Pete unique. In my view, the marriage was a major misstep. But, so was the Mephisto deal. Still, I prefer the new direction to the old direction.

Your preference sucks.

Awaits your 100th post telling me why I suck (I love to be involved in momentous occasions).

I dont know whether you suck or not. You just have a preference that is different from mine. Nothing wrong with that. You can even get married in Vermont. I appreciate you pushing me to my 100th post, tho. :)

I dont know whether you suck or not. You just have a preference that is different from mine. Nothing wrong with that. You can even get married in Vermont. I appreciate you pushing me to my 100th post, tho. :)

Awesome, but kinda lackluster in the approach meehaul.

I just kinda liked the idea of Pete as the most realistic superhero, it fed into his dynamic. Real people eventually take their relationships to the next level. Also MJ added a layer to pete that gave him an actual happy ending dispite what he had to overcome and made him a more interesting character because she was so different from dorky Peter Parker. Gwen never struck me as anything more than a girl version of Pete, which just seemed so boring. With MJ they had a dynamic they never really utilized. She was of another world from Pete and any writer could have ran with that, but they rarely did. In addition, being married added responsibility to a character founded on that, he wasn't just fighting for what was right and to not die, he actively had someone counting on him to come home as well.

Reign.

Requiem#2.

The last spec annual.

^all recent and all some of my absolute favorite Spider-man tales which delved deeply into what the relationship really means, check them out if you haven't read them. (and yes I did read blue, but frankly I've never really liked anything Loeb has ever written)

Most people have a crappy sense of humor anyway, so that's fine by me. Meehaul got it and fired back with a pretty good gay joke and that's all that matters. Anyone that takes anything on the internets too seriously is pretty much a waste of a flesh bag anyway.

Most people have a crappy sense of humor anyway

That depends on what your definition of humour is. For example, I noticed that you called anyone who's enjoying ASM right now misguided.

Was that humour, too? I don't know you well enough to recognise your brand of humour.

Anyone that takes anything on the internets too seriously is pretty much a waste of a flesh bag anyway.

Again it depends on what it is you're discussing. Discussing anything comic book related should not be taken too seriously though.

It's only fiction.

That depends on what your definition of humour is. For example, I noticed that you called anyone who's enjoying ASM right now misguided.

Was that humour, too? I don't know you well enough to recognise your brand of humour.

Again it depends on what it is you're discussing. Discussing anything comic book related should not be taken too seriously though.

It's only fiction.

But my personal tastes are the only one's that matter. Didn't you get the memo?

As for the misguided but ultimately decent individuals duped into buying ASM right now the joke is clearly on them, or at least on their wallets (my preference is for heroes in superhero comics).

But my personal tastes are the only one's that matter. Didn't you get the memo?

I did, but I burned it in a big 'ol pile of money :hehe:

As for the misguided but ultimately decent individuals duped into buying ASM right now the joke is clearly on them, or at least on their wallets (my preference is for heroes in superhero comics).

If they're enjoying it, then it's obviously money well spent for them. If you buy a comic book that you enjoy, then it's never a waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"