Comics Speculation of Spider-Man Storyline for Summer 2007

Spider-man has saved the world? I thought he's saved New York. What stories has he saved the world, as in the Earth?

I like Spider-man but I have never thought or considered him to be a world saving hero. He's a street level character and street level heros aren't world saving heros.

Now Captain America and Iron Man as past and founding members of the Avengers are and would be world saving heros. Wolverine would be a world saving hero due to being apart of the X-men. Luke Cage and Spider-woman aren't world saving heros. Sentry can and should be one though.

I agree, Spidey is apart of a team and as such he isn't going to always be in the spotlight. Also he isn't going to be the only one supplying ideas. He isn't going to be the only smart person there. He most certainly isn't going to be the most experience or knowledgeable. Especailly around people like Iron Man and Captain America. Lets not forget that he has three solo titles already. He's a member yes, which is a great thing I feel but he doesn't have to be the center of attention.

I think he's out of his league at times during Avenger arcs and honestly I think he should be since I don't think he's used to doing things like this. Tony was right at the Senate. It wasn't that Peter's opinion wasn't valuable just that Tony understand that it wouldn't have matter due to the nature of things and how they are done. That's what it comes down to and that's how that situation played out. Anyone reading that scene can tell what Peter said was good and write but government doesn't always care what is right. They care about following the proper steps and Spidey clearly didn't in that situation and Tony knew it which is why he didn't want Peter going off and doing something like he did. That's why he shook his head cause he knew it wasn't going to do anything to the peopel they were talking to cause Tony most likely deals with people like that all the time in business and politics.

I don't see Peter as a yesman at all. He knows this is Tony's area and he lets Tony do his thing and respects his opinion. As smart as Peter is, he isn't a political person and isn't in politics. Just because he's an extremely smart guy doesn't mean he's going to pick up things right away or even fully understand an area unknown to him. Which is why people listen and learn in order to understand things. Which is what Peter needs to do if he's going to be employee by Tony and be his second. The whole situation seemed out of Peter's area, not to mention TOny has decent number of years on Peter in terms of experience, why shouldn't Tony have a better understand of the entire situation and bigger picture?

Effect said:
Spider-man has saved the world? I thought he's saved New York. What stories has he saved the world, as in the Earth?

Just off the top of my head, Spider-Man's larger contributuions to New York and the world include:

Teaming with the Thing to rescue Adam Warlock and prevent the stars from being snuffed out (Marvel two in one annual 2)

Stopping Doom and Dormammu from creating the bend sinister spell(ASM Annual 14)

Stopping a nuculer bomb from detonating in New York

Stopping Ock from poisoning the daily bugle ink suppl,y saving its five million readers in the process

Stopping Firelord from destroying New York

Defeating the Tri Sentinal and preventing a nuculer meltdown

If I'm missing anything feel free to fill it in

Citizen_Kaine said:
Just off the top of my head, Spider-Man's larger contributuions to New York and the world include:

Teaming with the Thing to rescue Adam Warlock and prevent the stars from being snuffed out (Marvel two in one annual 2)

Stopping Doom and Dormammu from creating the bend sinister spell(ASM Annual 14)

Stopping a nuculer bomb from detonating in New York

Stopping Ock from poisoning the daily bugle ink suppl,y saving its five million readers in the process

Stopping Firelord from destroying New York

Defeating the Tri Sentinal and preventing a nuculer meltdown

If I'm missing anything feel free to fill it in

To add to the list:

In the Doc Ock/Owl gang war he stopped Ock from blowing up New York.

In Return of the Sinister Six,Ock had a poison launched into the atmosphere which was destroying the Ozone layer at an alarming rate.Spidey got the antidote for it and saved the planet.

My memory sucks right now, but didn't he do something during the whole captain universe thing too?

spideylover89 said:
My memory sucks right now, but didn't he do something during the whole captain universe thing too?

That would be the tri sentinal :up:

He also smacked the Hulk around, if that counts for anything

Thing is that it's all right if Spider-Man saves the world--or at least the city of New York--just as long as either A) He doesn't get any recognition or thanks for it, unless it's from say somebody like Cap or Nick Fury in private, B) Nobody else knows about it except him, which again means he doesn't get any recognition, or C) J. Jonah Jameson blasts him in the papers for possibly being in cahoots with the villain that was threatening the city (or the world) and Spidey get so pissed that he leaves, even though the cops really do appreciate his help but too little, too late. With Spidey being on the Avengers, he's not only appreciated for his efforts by the public, he gets the credit--and that's a far cry from the "hard-luck superhero" that he started out as and which is part of his appeal. Basically, the only real reason why Spidey is even in the Avengers at all is to be a sales booster. Hopefully, Joe Q will decide that Spidey needs to be the underestimated and underappreciated hero and that the JMS mini will somehow involve that--along with wrapping up the whole new age mystical spider-totem crap once and for all.

spideylover89 said:
You're right, he doesn't need to be a leader, but he definitely deserves more respect. Pete is a brilliant guy and he has saved the world plenty of times as spider-man, and yet he's been reduced to a yesman for Tony. Look at how he was treated at the senate meeting. It was "just keep your mouth shut," as if his opinion wasn't as valuable. Pete had some excellent points and instead of supporting him, Tony just sits by and shakes his head. There's nothing wrong with spidey being in the avengers, but he should be respected for the great hero he is.

I understand your point. You want Spidey to have more respect in the New Avengers book.

So, what do you want? Do you want Iron Man and Captain America figuratively massaging Peter Parker's ego, telling him how much of a contribution he's made to the city, world, and superhero community each and every issue of New Avengers? :confused:

I figured, you know, Captain f'n America approaching you, as you're leaving your workplace in civilian identity, asking you to be in the Avengers would pretty much say, "Hey, Peter Parker...Spider-Man...you're a great hero".

But there are OTHER characters in the Avengers. Captain America and Iron Man aside. You have Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Sentry, Ronin, and the Marvel comics ****e, Wolverine.

So those characters can't get any respect either? Luke Cage doesn't even have his own ongoing title...what kind of respect is that?

Ronin. When's the last time we saw Ronin/Echo in New Avengers? Almost got killed by a bunch of ninjas and completely disappeared. What kind of respect is that?

While many Spidey fans have a problem with how Bendis writes Spider-Man, which is fine and dandy.

I think Spider-Man gets by just fine when it comes to respect. I don't really know what Spider-Man fans want from this? Did you just want Peter Parker to tell Tony Stark to shove the new suit up his ass? Or Peter to say, "Listen, Tony, outside this fictional world people LOVE ME. I'm one of the most popular superheroes in the world. Compared to me, you're a FOOTNOTE! So, you call me BOSS, boy!!!"

Because if Peter told Tony Stark to take a hike about the new suit and about the job and assisting him. What would that make Peter? Yeah, it'd kind of put him out of character, in my opinion. And while many Spidey fans are upset with the state of the Spider-Man character I think there is one character who has been doing just fine, and that's Peter Parker. Let's not destroy that.

SpideyInATree said:
I understand your point. You want Spidey to have more respect in the New Avengers book.

So, what do you want? Do you want Iron Man and Captain America figuratively massaging Peter Parker's ego, telling him how much of a contribution he's made to the city, world, and superhero community each and every issue of New Avengers? :confused:

I figured, you know, Captain f'n America approaching you, as you're leaving your workplace in civilian identity, asking you to be in the Avengers would pretty much say, "Hey, Peter Parker...Spider-Man...you're a great hero".

But there are OTHER characters in the Avengers. Captain America and Iron Man aside. You have Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Sentry, Ronin, and the Marvel comics ****e, Wolverine.

So those characters can't get any respect either? Luke Cage doesn't even have his own ongoing title...what kind of respect is that?

Ronin. When's the last time we saw Ronin/Echo in New Avengers? Almost got killed by a bunch of ninjas and completely disappeared. What kind of respect is that?

While many Spidey fans have a problem with how Bendis writes Spider-Man, which is fine and dandy.

I think Spider-Man gets by just fine when it comes to respect. I don't really know what Spider-Man fans want from this? Did you just want Peter Parker to tell Tony Stark to shove the new suit up his ass? Or Peter to say, "Listen, Tony, outside this fictional world people LOVE ME. I'm one of the most popular superheroes in the world. Compared to me, you're a FOOTNOTE! So, you call me BOSS, boy!!!"

Because if Peter told Tony Stark to take a hike about the new suit and about the job and assisting him. What would that make Peter? Yeah, it'd kind of put him out of character, in my opinion. And while many Spidey fans are upset with the state of the Spider-Man character I think there is one character who has been doing just fine, and that's Peter Parker. Let's not destroy that.

Your missunderstanding me, praise and respect are two different things. I don't mean he needs to be praised all the time, hell that would be nausiating. I just think he shouldn't be shot down everytime he has a hunch or discovers something. In the hydra arc Pete followed his instincts and even though the rest of the team ignored them, Pete was right. And the Tony Stark bossman thing is really annoying. You said the Avengers are a team and no one should be hogging the spotlight, but the way Pete is always following Tony around like a yesman puts Tony up on a pedestal. Yeah he set up the new avengers, but that doesn't mean everyone has to follow him around kissing his ass. They are all equally good superheroes and they should all be treated at the same level. It's ok to have a load of respect for some, like Pete would with Cap, but that doesn't mean he should be his little sidekick.

spideylover89 said:
Your missunderstanding me, praise and respect are two different things. I don't mean he needs to be praised all the time, hell that would be nausiating. I just think he shouldn't be shot down everytime he has a hunch or discovers something. In the hydra arc Pete followed his instincts and even though the rest of the team ignored them, Pete was right. And the Tony Stark bossman thing is really annoying. You said the Avengers are a team and no one should be hogging the spotlight, but the way Pete is always following Tony around like a yesman puts Tony up on a pedestal. Yeah he set up the new avengers, but that doesn't mean everyone has to follow him around kissing his ass. They are all equally good superheroes and they should all be treated at the same level. It's ok to have a load of respect for some, like Pete would with Cap, but that doesn't mean he should be his little sidekick.

Of course Spider-Man was right in the Hydra arc. Because the Hydra arc was in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN! The flagship title of Spider-Man. If they didn't make Spider-Man look good that'd completely defeat the purpose of him having his own title. And I don't recall the rest of the team ignoring Spider-Man. They were just wrong and he was right.

Well, once again, with the sidekick crap. Sigh. You do know about Civil War, right? How the heroes are going to become divided. One side wants registration and public ID's. The other side wants things the way they were. So, Pete being closer with Tony, at the moment, makes things a little interesting considering Tony is FOR the act. So, is Pete going to side with the guy who wants Pete to register and reveal his identity so all his crazy rogues can find him? Or is Peter going to betray his "boss" and side with Captain f'n America? Makes the story more interesting.

So if Peter was all like, "Tony, you're a poophead for giving me the new suit and giving me a job" That'd make this plot point in Civil War the same?

Once again, just because Spider-Man is popular with the people OUTSIDE OF THE FICTIONAL PLANE...doesn't mean that he should act like the Superman of the Marvel Universe.

Yeah I'm talking about AMZ, not the New Avengers. Sorry, that's probably why we're on different pages. :D

spideylover89 said:
Yeah I'm talking about AMZ, not the New Avengers. Sorry, that's probably why we're on different pages. :D

I thought this was all about because someone said Spider-Man doesn't get respect in the New Avengers. :confused:

Don't see what any of that had to do with the Amazing Spider-Man.

I figured because this is spidey speculation for '07 we were discussing the spidey books, not NA. lol whatever, I don't care what they do with him in NA, just so long as he gets respect in his own title.

And depending on what type of Spidey fan you're talking to that "respect" in his own title is seriously up for debate. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"