Spider-Man 2 WTF?!? Moments

My WTF moment and that is if i remember correctly is that the first time Doc Ock visit Harry its almost like and earthquake and you can hear his metal arms as they're moving and then the second time that he brings Spide-Man to the penthouse you don't hear a single noise from Doc Ock!

My WTF moment and that is if i remember correctly is that the first time Doc Ock visits Harry its almost like and earthquake and you can hear his metal arms as they're moving and then the second time that he brings Spider-Man to the penthouse you don't hear a single noise from Doc Ock!

So my WTF moment is pretty valid then : it is evidently the chocolate cake scene. I mean, WTF!!!!????? Even when I watch again SM2 from beginning until the end can't stop the WTF I had in mind at that particular point of the movie. But I don't wan't to start a pointless debate on this, I'm just raising an opinion here.

I totally agree! I mean, what was with that girl, anytime she was in it, I'm thinking "WTF?" I didn't get why she was in the movie at all! Was their any scene the the exteneded cut that explained her character more?

And, might I add, How the f does Harry know about Ock's hiding place? No way would I tell Harry if I was Ock.

The first valid complaint made in this thread :up: There's no way Harry could have known where Ock was, as he never told him on either of their meetings.

My WTF moment and that is if i remember correctly is that the first time Doc Ock visit Harry its almost like and earthquake and you can hear his metal arms as they're moving and then the second time that he brings Spide-Man to the penthouse you don't hear a single noise from Doc Ock!

That's because Ock had already arrived onto the balcony when that scene began. Harry turns around, and there is Ock standing in the doorway, brandishing Spidey like trophy.

The first valid complaint made in this thread :up: There's no way Harry could have known where Ock was, as he never told him on either of their meetings.

If you ask me I think both Peter & Harry was able to just put two & two together. Why waste time to make a completely new lab for what Ock wanted to do when a lab with just about everything just need a few fix ups here & there & just the final item was needed. Common sense was used to guess where Dock was. That is my take on it

If you ask me I think both Peter & Harry was able to just put two & two together. Why waste time to make a completely new lab for what Ock wanted to do when a lab with just about everything just need a few fix ups here & there & just the final item was needed. Common sense was used to guess where Dock was. That is my take on it

Are you serious?? Do you have any idea how big New York is?? Ock could have hidden in a hundred different places.

Put two and two together, my eye.

Really?
Because if I were to take a stab at it, I don't think I'd guess a rotting, collapsed pier would be the ideal place to try and build a successful, stable fusion reaction. Just my thoughts.
And yeah, I think the chocolate cake scene was more or less a "Peter needs to not be sh1t upon for five minutes" kind of thing. She was a nice girl, anyway. Not like MJ.

I thought the whole movie being made part was a "WTF" moment. lol j/k. But, uh, I can't think of anything right now. I still think they should've named this movie "Spider-Man vs. Ash". There's always SM4! Give it a chance Raimi!

Doc Ock and his magical thinking arms - WTF?

Peter's powers going away, and then coming back without so much as an explanation ("It's all in your head, dur!" doesn't count) - WTF?

Doc Ock and his magical thinking arms - WTF?

You never heard of artificial intelligence??

Peter's powers going away, and then coming back without so much as an explanation ("It's all in your head, dur!" doesn't count) - WTF?

Clearly you never read any of the Spidey comics from Stan Lee's day.

You never heard of artificial intelligence??

Sure I have. Does that mean it should contribute to Octavius' turn to crime?

IMO, absolutely not.

The story would've worked just as well if he'd gone crazy with grief over the loss of his life's work and his role in the death of his wife - a slightly tweaked version of the original origin.

Doctor Octopus said:
Clearly you never read any of the Spidey comics from Stan Lee's day.

Touche.

To be honest, though, the only story that I can think of off the top of my head is the original Sinister Six story (ASM Annual #1, was it? I forget), and that was never one of my favorites, even though it was a good one.

Either way, I don't feel that it works as well on the big screen as it did on the comic book page.

Sure I have. Does that mean it should contribute to Octavius' turn to crime?

IMO, absolutely not.

The story would've worked just as well if he'd gone crazy with grief over the loss of his life's work and his role in the death of his wife - a slightly tweaked version of the original origin.

But it did. It was all a factor. You saw him there in the warehouse brooding over what a mess his life has become. He lost his wife, and his life's work all in one go. Then the arms warped his mind and convinced him he had not miscalculated with his work and was justified in rebuilding his dream at ANY cost.

A man with nothing to lose is very easily convinced that he has much to gain. He was misguided. Ruthless but misguided. We were shown a preview of the kind of power madness and violence he was capable of at the demonstration.

"The power of the sun in the palm of my hand". And when his reactor went haywire, and Spidey tried to unplug it, Otto viciously swiped him into the wall. His power hungry ego cost him his wife.

Touche.

To be honest, though, the only story that I can think of off the top of my head is the original Sinister Six story (ASM Annual #1, was it? I forget), and that was never one of my favorites, even though it was a good one.

Either way, I don't feel that it works as well on the big screen as it did on the comic book page.

Regardless of whether you feel it works on screen or not, it is taken from the comic books. So, it's hardly a WTF moment, as it's not something Raimi pulled out of thin air.

But it did. It was all a factor. You saw him there in the warehouse brooding over what a mess his life has become. He lost his wife, and his life's work all in one go. Then the arms warped his mind and convinced him he had not miscalculated with his work and was justified in rebuilding his dream at ANY cost.

A man with nothing to lose is very easily convinced that he has much to gain. He was misguided. Ruthless but misguided. We were shown a preview of the kind of power madness and violence he was capable of at the demonstration.

"The power of the sun in the palm of my hand". And when his reactor went haywire, and Spidey tried to unplug it, Otto viciously swiped him into the wall. His power hungry ego cost him his wife.

But he was resistant at first. When the arms started talking to him (ugh) and were all like "Dude, totally redo the experiment" he was like, "Um, no way."

You're right that he was more suceptible because he had nothing to lose, but why did he have to be convinced by an outside force? That scene would have worked MUCH better (IMO) if he had been raving only to himself rather than discussing something with his arms.

The film would have worked fine (better, IMO) if his mind was merely warped by a.) the explosion, b.) his grief, and c.) his stubbornness to accept that what happened was his fault. He didn't need the arms to convince him of it.

A man who is overwhelmed by grief and greed is enough. The inclusion of AI tentacles didn't add anything at all, IMO, and in the end detracted from the character.

Doctor Octopus said:
Regardless of whether you feel it works on screen or not, it is taken from the comic books. So, it's hardly a WTF moment, as it's not something Raimi pulled out of thin air.

Very true, but in the theatre, I actually went, "Oh, WTF." Does that not make it a "WTF moment" regardless of whether Raimi got it from a comic book or in his ass?

But he was resistant at first. When the arms started talking to him (ugh) and were all like "Dude, totally redo the experiment" he was like, "Um, no way."

Of course he was hesitant at first. He thought he had miscalculated, which he had. But then the A.I. makes him believe he had not miscalculated.

They played on his ego. What's easier to believe?? Your life's work is a success or a failure??

You're right that he was more suceptible because he had nothing to lose, but why did he have to be convinced by an outside force? That scene would have worked MUCH better (IMO) if he had been raving only to himself rather than discussing something with his arms.

The film would have worked fine (better, IMO) if his mind was merely warped by a.) the explosion, b.) his grief, and c.) his stubbornness to accept that what happened was his fault. He didn't need the arms to convince him of it.

A man who is overwhelmed by grief and greed is enough. The inclusion of AI tentacles didn't add anything at all, IMO, and in the end detracted from the character.

Oh, I completely agree that a closer comic book translation would have been better. But from the perspective of the movie, Octavius was very real, in that he was a man who was swept up in the ruthless determination he had to make his dream succeed.

The tentacles were like a devil on his shoulder. But ultimately it was his own vanity and humbris that was his downfall.

He was a very 3 dimensional villain, and he and Spidey came full circle by the end of the movie.

Very true, but in the theatre, I actually went, "Oh, WTF." Does that not make it a "WTF moment" regardless of whether Raimi got it from a comic book or in his ass?

That's true. It is your WTF moment. But people overcome with stress or grief, thinking something that is not true, is hardly a strange concept is it??

Of course he was hesitant at first. He thought he had miscalculated, which he had. But then the A.I. makes him believe he had not miscalculated.

They played on his ego. What's easier to believe?? Your life's work is a success or a failure??

Oh, I completely agree that a closer comic book translation would have been better. But from the perspective of the movie, Octavius was very real, in that he was a man who was swept up in the ruthless determination he had to make his dream succeed.

The tentacles were like a devil on his shoulder. But ultimately it was his own vanity and humbris that was his downfall.

He was a very 3 dimensional villain, and he and Spidey came full circle by the end of the movie.

That's true. It is your WTF moment. But people overcome with stress or grief, thinking something that is not true, is hardly a strange concept is it??

I agree wholeheartedly. I remember coming away very impressed with 'Fred's performance, though noting it was not strictly comic-accurate. I think he did a great job portraying the elliptical mental path he took in the movie.

And I mean, come on...when has artificial intelligence EVER been portrayed positively in a movie? You know those things are evil as soon as he says it.

I suppose you're right in that sense, but I honestly feel that the story would have worked just as well without the AI. While Ock IS portrayed tragically in the movie (Molina did do a good job), he is still influenced by an outside and wholly sci-fi source. Would it not have been MORE tragic had he fallen completely victim to his own ego - unable to stop despite the fact that his work caused the death of his wife - without any outside interference whatsoever? That, I think, is far more human, far more believable, and in the end, more tragic.

It also makes his redemption (or whatever you call it) at the end of the film all the more triumphant, as he is overcoming his personal demons, as opposed to an artificial intelligence which merely preyed on his weaknesses.

I dunno. That's just my opinion. I'm willing to concede that I may be wrong. In all, I have greatly enjoyed this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"