Into the Spider-Verse Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse News and General Discussion Thread

Critics RT rating is 97% now (because Armond White's review was posted).
That Armond White 'review' was a ******* disgrace. He must have mentioned the movie twice and then goes on a racial rant. Review the movie or shut the **** up. Did you like the movie or not? Leave politics out of it.

IMHO Batman had;
The best live action superhero movie with The Dark Knight.
The best theatrical superhero animated movie with Mask of the Phantasm.
The best game superhero game with Arkham Asylum.

2018 has seen Spider-Man snatch two off the three of him with Spider-Man ps4 and Into the spider-verse.

It's always been hard for me to try to rank animated films against live action. But its easily top 5 Sony marvel films (including homecoming)

Is there a better comeback story than Sony going from the Emoji movie to Into the spider-verse?

DuZ__xbVYAAO9h8.jpg

‘Spider-Verse’ Catching $36M, ‘The Mule’ Carrying Near $18M, ‘Mortal Engines’ Fails To Start With $7M+

4th Update, Friday 11:26 PM: Evening estimates see Sony’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse with a solid weekend start of $36M after a $12.6M Friday at 3,813 theaters, and sources are eager to see how this A+ CinemaScore, 5-Star PostTrak-received film performs on Saturday when matinees kick in.

There’s anticipation that Spider-Verse could very well go higher (just look at its awesome 80% definite recommend in PostTrak exits), and if it doesn’t, then the pic will enjoy a great multiple well past the holiday season. Though Universal/Illumination’s Sing debuted on the Wednesday before Christmas two years ago, its 3-day of $35.2M yielded a 7.6 multiple with a final domestic take of $270.3M.

Says social media monitor RelishMix about the pic’s fantastic word of mouth, “fans are excited for this unique look on the comic book creation with its multiple universe storyline. Others are stoked not only by the unique animation look, but also by the Afro-Latino hero at the center of the story. Recalling the notable soundtrack, many fans are asking about the titles of songs in the film and calling out Sunflower and other music tracks which spurred them to watch the trailer and clips again. Finally, for those who have seen early screenings, they’re saying the film reviews and super-positive buzz are all real, and audiences should stay until the end of the credits.”

As we mentioned previously, exit demos for Spider-Verse were 67% non-families, with men 25+ repping 41% of moviegoers, followed by men under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout. Diversity demos were 43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African American and 15% Asian.

Spider-Verse cost an estimated net $90M before P&A and the movie’s marketing was further boosted by a global promotional partner campaign valued at $115M which spanned 12M boxses of General Mills cereal, Nike Air Jordans, Hasbro action figures and the Genting Cruise lines to name a few.

Spider-Verse‘s social media universe is reaching close to a half billion followers (comprised of a near 70M Facebook Fans, 16M Facebook video views, a near 19M Twitter Followers, close to 360M YouTube views and 20.2M Instagram followers per RelishMix). For comparison, the usual superhero film has an SMU of over 691M by opening weekend, however, the typical family/animated movie has 308.7M, which puts Spider-Verse in the middle. Even more amazing about Spider-Verse‘s SMU is that it doesn’t include “unboxing” videos for the related toys, nor the coordinated campaign connected to its PS4 (Playstation) game.

Spider-Verse videos on the web have gone viral at a great rate of 31:1, exceeding the 16:1 rate of the average family film. Spider-Verse’s average daily YouTube views for top clips far exceeded all genres with 378K, one of the highest levels RelishMix has seen this year for this metric.

It's really cool seeing the movie and thinking how much like his version Kingpin looked in the movie and then seeing this the next day as like a confirmation that it was indeed direct inspiration. That Daredevil graphic novel Love and War is underrated, just gorgeous to look at and that Kingpin stuck with me.

Did anybody else have a weirdly large amount of overtly religious themed trailers attached to their showing of this? The only other ones I got were Ugly Dolls and Shazam.

Did anybody else have a weirdly large amount of overtly religious themed trailers attached to their showing of this? The only other ones I got were Ugly Dolls and Shazam.
LOL YES! Only we didn't even get those two you mentioned. We had a mix-up at our showing - the projector wasn't working in our auditorium, so they moved us all to the Dolby Atmos auditorium instead (free upgrade, woo!), so when I saw all those religious trailers and not a single CBM trailer in the bunch, I thought we must be getting trailers meant for another movie or something, lol. But apparently not? The only "relevant" trailer we got that made sense with Into the Spider-Verse was the Lego Movie 2 trailer.

I only remember 4 trailers: Shazam, a movie about Sasquatch from the studio that did Kubo & The Two Strings, one about a dog finding his way home, and a religious themed one starring the overweight actress from This is Us. Those last two were long as hell, and pretty much showed the entire stories of both. I mean I'm not going to see them anyway, but for anyone that is interested I don't see the point lol.

The only explanation I have is that they assume Spider-Man is God to us. :o

Yah I got those trailers. Totally caught me off guard.

Got out of the theater 2hrs ago and I can say that it's definitely the best Spider-Man movie and one of the best comic book movies ever. God the animation was beautiful and Stan Lee’s got the entire theater right in the feels. This was truly a comic book brought to life.

I only have 2 complaints: Miles not having red webbing and Ganke, he'll probably get more screen time in the sequel considering the number of characters this one had.

I saw this today and it was great. It was the best Spider-Man movie since the Raimi trilogy. I didn't really like TASM movies or Homecoming. This movie was very good and I hope it gets many sequels. I liked the animation and the characters were great.

I only have 2 complaints: Miles not having red webbing and Ganke, he'll probably get more screen time in the sequel considering the number of characters this one had.

I'm sure he will have the red webbing in the sequel. He didn't have time to make a completely new suit in this movie.

Last edited:
Theatre near me has like 4 or 5 IMAX and 3D showings over the course of the day and 2 2-D showings....one at like 1145am and another at like 8pm. The ****.

Surpasses Homecoming as my favorite Spidey film. Loved it.

They could've tried their best to do this in live action like Scott Pilgrim but it wouldn't have been near as insane.

Yeah, that would have been a disservice to the story and characters. They are able to do so much more in animation. Maybe this could lead to some more big budget animated comic films.

This was a truly incredible ride. To think that so many of us (Myself included) completely dismissed this when announced. And now here we are. I still adore Homecoming, and SM2 has a special place in my heart, but I think this movie captures what Spider-Man means more than any previous adaptation. As others have mentioned, it's the perfect anti-thesis to Syndrome's line that "When Everyone Is Special, No One Is". ANYONE can be Spider-Man. That's what makes him so powerful. And Stan Lee's cameo really drove that home. So yeah, lots of tears were shed in this movie.

They could've tried their best to do this in live action like Scott Pilgrim but it wouldn't have been near as insane.

You also lose out on the different animation for different spiders. It could not be done in live action.

Saw it again last night and it's just incredible how well they pulled this off. Lord & Miller can do no wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"