Comics Spider-Man: Life Story

Preview for Life Story issue #1

JAN190927.jpg

SMLIFESTORY.jpeg

SMLIFESTORY-2.jpeg

SMLIFESTORY-3.jpeg

SMLIFESTORY-4.jpeg

SMLIFESTORY-5.jpeg

Issue was way too short! And it jumped around a lot. I really hope they fix this in the next few. Otherwise, it was damn good!

What alternate timeline did we just jump into where every Spidey book for over a month has been decent or good?

It almost makes me scared. Lol.

I had a buddy of mine pick me up a copy yesterday. I'll read it later. He said they were sold out, so that is a good sign!

Issue was way too short! And it jumped around a lot. I really hope they fix this in the next few. Otherwise, it was damn good!

What alternate timeline did we just jump into where every Spidey book for over a month has been decent or good?

It almost makes me scared. Lol.

I've got my copy, gonna read it today.

One question, was this story canon?

Out-f***ing-standing.

Damn. This makes me sad that Zdarsky is not on Spectacular anymore. What a combo we'd have with him and Spencer in the same sandbox.

I answered my own question about it being canon. It's not. I can't say why without spoiling anything but there's a clear moment when it becomes known this isn't canon. It's an alternate take.

No hype, Zdarsky nails this to the wall. The characterizations, the dialogue, some really excellent scenes between Peter and Gwen, Peter and Flash and one between Spidey and another character (probably my favorite scene in the book)...ahhh it's so good. And Bagley backs up the story with some fantastic art.

I'm not sure what we did as Spider-Man fans to deserve so much goodness recently but I'm genuinely happy right now. Maybe it's cause we had to deal with 10 years of utter crap. Maybe.

With the next issue coming in the 70s...I wonder, this being an alternate take, if Gwen will die.

Out-f***ing-standing.

Damn. This makes me sad that Zdarsky is not on Spectacular anymore. What a combo we'd have with him and Spencer in the same sandbox.

I answered my own question about it being canon. It's not. I can't say why without spoiling anything but there's a clear moment when it becomes known this isn't canon. It's an alternate take.

No hype, Zdarsky nails this to the wall. The characterizations, the dialogue, some really excellent scenes between Peter and Gwen, Peter and Flash and one between Spidey and another character (probably my favorite scene in the book)...ahhh it's so good. And Bagley backs up the story with some fantastic art.

I'm not sure what we did as Spider-Man fans to deserve so much goodness recently but I'm genuinely happy right now. Maybe it's cause we had to deal with 10 years of utter crap. Maybe.

With the next issue coming in the 70s...I wonder, this being an alternate take, if Gwen will die.

I felt the same way. It didn't do anything truly groundbreaking...aside from being Spider-Man, which is awesome. The more grounded take on the 60's, with the benefit of hindsight, is incredible. Vietnam in the 60s was being fed to the public differently than what was happening. It's pretty awesome to see the heroes responding to it the way they did. Also, Bagley dialed it up to 11 on this one. Seriously, I think when he isn't having to churn out an issue every 2 weeks, he can do amazing things.

Also, yeah, Zdarsky gets it. I'm in for the long haul on this one. That ending was just gripping...on all fronts.

I admit, I was a little skeptical going into this as the premise sounded a bit gimmicky. But after this first issue, I'd would say, as I did in my review, that this first issue was a near masterpiece. Really looking forward to reading the rest of this series, especially if, aside from seeing Spider-Man genuinely grow up, the potential of seeing how history would've unfolded if the Marvel Heroes really did exist in our world. Because on the basis of the last page? That should have huge ramifications not just for the Vietnam War but for the Cold War between the US and the Soviet Union as well.

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man: Life Story No. 1 review

I admit, I was a little skeptical going into this as the premise sounded a bit gimmicky. But after this first issue, I'd would say, as I did in my review, that this first issue was a near masterpiece. Really looking forward to reading the rest of this series, especially if, aside from seeing Spider-Man genuinely grow up, the potential of seeing how history would've unfolded if the Marvel Heroes really did exist in our world. Because on the basis of the last page? That should have huge ramifications not just for the Vietnam War but for the Cold War between the US and the Soviet Union as well.

Good review, man!

I felt the same way. It didn't do anything truly groundbreaking...aside from being Spider-Man, which is awesome. The more grounded take on the 60's, with the benefit of hindsight, is incredible. Vietnam in the 60s was being fed to the public differently than what was happening. It's pretty awesome to see the heroes responding to it the way they did. Also, Bagley dialed it up to 11 on this one. Seriously, I think when he isn't having to churn out an issue every 2 weeks, he can do amazing things.

Also, yeah, Zdarsky gets it. I'm in for the long haul on this one. That ending was just gripping...on all fronts.

Bagley was on fire in that issue. I loved it.

Always enjoy your reviews!

Spider-Man did the aging in real time thing once before. It was called Spider-Girl.

And that too was good.

Out-f***ing-standing.

DUUUUUDE!

Godammit I LOVED this issue, too.

It was a great way to tackle a "one-off" concept and a concept in general. Obviously this series has to pertain to its era/time which is its gimmick while still telling a new Spider-Man story, and wow did they pull that off. Again, this is what I'm talking about here/love. You can tell new stories...you can even tell different sides of them, but in order for them to be good, I think you still have to honor the mythos. Even though this comic came out one week ago, the issue felt like it came out one decade ago. Or more.

Gonna mirror what UWH said -- the characterizations are on point. I have to say -- Zdarsky is a talented writer because he makes this feel like something so much else from his SPECTACULAR run. It's insane. And I think a HUGE part of why that is is Bagley. AHHHH. Where has he been? His art mixed with the dialogue and the tone, and the setting really made it feel like its own thing! It was a 50/50 effort from both sides. Loved this.

Hopefully Zardski gets another Spider title when this wraps up!
He absolutely killed it with Spectacular, this seems to be damn good as well!
I want him on Amazing! Not that Spencer is bad, but imaging what Zardski can do!

Out-f***ing-standing.

Aloha,Yes it's an alternate take but very well done. Of course, I love Bags and he did not disappoint in this first issue.
Spidey still rules

Also, I would be remiss not to mention that, if you like Zdarsky, his Daredevil run is shaping up to be a killer. Seriously. Story and art on it are amazing.

Hopefully Zardski gets another Spider title when this wraps up!
He absolutely killed it with Spectacular, this seems to be damn good as well!
I want him on Amazing! Not that Spencer is bad, but imaging what Zardski can do!

I really like Spencer on Amazing and as much as I've been impressed with Zdarsky it'd be pretty cool to have them writing out of the same sandbox with Z on Spectacular. I've only read bits and pieces of his run but I think part of the issue is that he was stuck in Slott's universe.

Also, I would be remiss not to mention that, if you like Zdarsky, his Daredevil run is shaping up to be a killer. Seriously. Story and art on it are amazing.

You haven't steered me wrong yet. I will check that out.

Zdarsky makes me want to buy it. I like Bagley, but I hate that they get Marcos Martin do do the covers (who I love), and then Bagley to do the interiors (who I just like). The great thing about Bagley is that I know the mini won't be needing a fill-in artist by issue 3, as Marvel has been prone to doing, lately.

Wow, I'm totally in agreement with you on the Bagley/Martin thing. I really like Bagley. I loved his work on Amazing back in the 90's and loved his work on Ultimate Spider-Man. However, a project like this really doesn't make any sense for Bagley to draw the 60's. I could understand Bagley doing the pencils on this miniseries when they get to the 90's. If you're doing 60's, you HAVE to have Martin do those interiors. He EMBODIES Steve Ditko. It's crazy.

The only thing that I could understand is if maybe Martin just couldn't fit it into his schedule or something. You never know with artsits but...yeah, that's a MISSED opportunity.

Wow, I'm totally in agreement with you on the Bagley/Martin thing. I really like Bagley. I loved his work on Amazing back in the 90's and loved his work on Ultimate Spider-Man. However, a project like this really doesn't make any sense for Bagley to draw the 60's. I could understand Bagley doing the pencils on this miniseries when they get to the 90's. If you're doing 60's, you HAVE to have Martin do those interiors. He EMBODIES Steve Ditko. It's crazy.

The only thing that I could understand is if maybe Martin just couldn't fit it into his schedule or something. You never know with artsits but...yeah, that's a MISSED opportunity.
I agree with you -- I think Martin would've killed these earlier eras but Bagley is doing great so far imo. No complaints.

Bagley is still looking really great but there are just something about his pencils that don't fit with the tone of this story, or from what I gather from these preview pages. I would like to see a Martin or a throwback to an artist from that era. Maybe tap George Perez or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"