Comics Spider-Man: Life Story

Has anyone seen the variant for the 70s issue? SICK!

Wow, Zdarsky's really high on himself. "Greatest comic ever"? Reminds me of Lebron James congratulating himself on Instagram for some record he broke. "Great game, Lebron!" - signed: Lebron James

Wow, Zdarsky's really high on himself. "Greatest comic ever"? Reminds me of Lebron James congratulating himself on Instagram for some record he broke. "Great game, Lebron!" - signed: Lebron James
Are you saying Lebron James has an ego...?! He has to hold onto that...because it's not like he has a bunch of national championships to hold onto! BURN!!

Ahem...

Also, read issue 2 of this. Man, that was some heartbreaking stuff. Really fun and different take on some classic Spider-Man stories. Mostly heartbreaking. Bagley's really on point with this series, and Zdarsky is nailing the voice of an older and more mature Peter Parker. Issue 3 looks totally amazing, and, given the events of this issue, I cannot wait to see how it goes! I think my only real complaint would be the revision to Spidey's costume was a little jarring. I mean, I thought I was reading a preview for a different Spidey comic for a second. Aside from that, it was amazing. I love that aspects from the first issue were not ignored, but the Captain America/Iron Man thing wasn't quite as distracting as it was in the first issue.

Well, technically he says Greatest Cover Ever, not Comic. So he's praising Michael Cho's art, not himself. The cover is pretty sick though.

Two issues in and I'm REALLY enjoying Spider-Man: Life Story. I'd even say the second issue may be slightly better than the first, primarily because no matter how crazy the departures it takes from continuity, these still feel like the characters we know. Okay, so they're into Disco, sure. Nobody's perfect. ;)

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man: Life Story No. 2 review

Two issues in and I'm REALLY enjoying Spider-Man: Life Story. I'd even say the second issue may be slightly better than the first, primarily because no matter how crazy the departures it takes from continuity, these still feel like the characters we know. Okay, so they're into Disco, sure. Nobody's perfect. ;)

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man: Life Story No. 2 review

Well, everyone was EXCEPT Peter. I love how they are still playing him as the guy "behind the trends". He's still an outsider, and, by 70's standards, he's a total square! MJ and Harry are drinking and popping pills, and Peter doesn't even have a glass of anything...in Studio 54! THAT is Peter written in character!

Yeah, this book is really working it's way into my heart. There is definitely a Hardcover purchase in my future of this story...especially after seeing the "00's" cover for issue 6!!

I didn't like the resolution of this issue at all.
Pete and Gwen are married.
Pete finds out that Gwen is a clone and just leaves her even though they've been together for what seems like a few years, Even though she has full memories and experiences? Seemed a little callous, even for Pete.

Pete finds out that Gwen is a clone and just leaves her even though they've been together for what seems like a few years, Even though she has full memories and experiences? Seemed a little callous, even for Pete.

I would say the same, except that the Gwen he fell in love with and married just got blown up by his best friend, and seeing the clone every day would make it impossible for him to ever adjust. I don't know, this whole comic is something I'm enjoying, I just hope they stick the landing. Curious how they will handle the Black Cat and Kraven stories in issue 3...

Finally caught up with this past week's issues...

Really enjoyed this. The thing that resonates most thru these two issues is that even with the changes made to the surrounding circumstances, the characters themselves remain intact--the core of who they are, hasn't really changed. The one OOC moment that I found and really maybe it's just me being nitpicky, MJ is engaged to Harry. MJ hides behind the party girl facade...she's a genuine person underneath however she still has a fear of commitment. It makes me wonder what happened that she would say "yes" to Harry on a proposal. Knowing about his drug use issues, what happened with Norman...I dunno, imo it doesn't line up with her character. Some time has passed and obviously this is an AU take so things are different but imo this was the one character sore spot. What do you guys think? I did enjoy MJ calling Peter out for Flash as harsh as it may be and then reveals that she's known his secret all along. He's conflicted about what the right thing to do would be especially when you have all these other heroes joining in the war effort.

This was a solid issue. Great character work, excellent dialogue and that art. Bagley laying it down. So good.

I still think the original comic/story is better however this presents a entertaining take on what is another possibility. Still though I think it's great that the characters are still who they are. Not sure how I feel about Octavious being reformed. Miles Warren is still creepy as ever. You know, Zdarsky pitched this story wanting to do a mini series for each decade but it got denied and he was given one issue for each. I think I'd prefer seeing this as a mini. There's so much ground worth covering and the writing is so good...right now it feels too short.

Spider-Man is one of those characters where you can strip the comic of all the super hero stuff and still have all the makings of great story. Imo this issue is proof of that...Spidey suits up twice but there's no action. The issue succeeds on the character work and the interactions between them.

I think this is something where a mini series would benefit the story.

However, I don't believe this is OOC for Peter. The issue starts off in 1977 and the epilogue occurs in 1978. Some time has passed and so it wasn't an immediate abrupt decision. Peter is in such a dark place...moreso than I think he's ever been. He finds out the real Gwen was kidnapped and held captive in some weird mint condition type state. It would have to be difficult for him to continue seeing the Clone and knowing what really happened. Despite her memories it doesn't change the fact that it's a lie. In a way it mirrors what occurred in 616 when the Gwen clone shows up. The original is dead and Peter is faced with a tough decision about his true feelings. This AU version actually makes it worse for him imo.

Chip Zdarsky is up for two 2019 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards.

Best writer for his run on Spectacular and Best Single Issue for his Spectacular #310.

Eisner's mean nothing anymore.
I mean, they gave one to Bendis. That right there tells you...

Going to pick this series up. It’s Bagley and the concept seems pretty cool. It’s amazing that for the quality that Bagley maintains he still manages to also churn out work on time and quickly.

Going to pick this series up. It’s Bagley and the concept seems pretty cool. It’s amazing that for the quality that Bagley maintains he still manages to also churn out work on time and quickly.

Considering some books are continuously getting pushed out because someone can't keep up, that is saying something. Look at "Doomsday Clock" over at DC. It's looking like the next issue will be several months late! I think every title Dan Slott writes now is getting pushed back several months. It's weird.

Just picked up the first two issues. Read the first couple of pages... Artwork is fantastic. To be honest I don’t feel Bagley is on the level that he use to be though...The work is different which I’m sure is normal especially when an artist has worked with a character for as long as Bagley has with Spider-Man. Don’t get me wrong, the guy is my favorite Spider-Man artist of all time and it’s not even close for me. His version of Spider-Man is the definitive version for me when I close my eyes and envision the character. It’s just that his work is a few notches under what it was at one point for me especially in comparison to his ASM run back in the day and early USM days.

Last edited:
I’ve really loved this mini so far. It feels like a much more natural take on how Peter would evolve if he were allowed to age. I liked how he admitted that he needed the symbiote to make up for his age. Aunt May’s health problem is frightening but what you would expect for someone her age. MJ losing her cool at Peter and their argument feels much more realistic than the endlessly supportive wife she was written as. The Venom and Kraven twist was a little annoying but I loved how Kraven was portrayed. Can’t wait for issue 4.

I do kind of wish that they had added Hobgoblin, and less Secret Wars.

I know, I know, Spider-Man: Life Story #3 came out last week. But why not still write a review about it? Especially considering I think that not only is this some of the best work Chip Zdarsky and Mark Bagley have ever done, it's one of the best comic book miniseries out there right now and deserves as much attention as it gets.

Spider-Man: Life Story No. 3: A very different Black Costume Saga

I’ve really loved this mini so far. It feels like a much more natural take on how Peter would evolve if he were allowed to age. I liked how he admitted that he needed the symbiote to make up for his age. Aunt May’s health problem is frightening but what you would expect for someone her age. MJ losing her cool at Peter and their argument feels much more realistic than the endlessly supportive wife she was written as. The Venom and Kraven twist was a little annoying but I loved how Kraven was portrayed. Can’t wait for issue 4.

Yes, I'm really enjoying this Alt take as well. I read this last week but totally forgot to post my thoughts on here.

Having Peter age in real time during these events, i.e. Battleworld, KLH, is interesting. I think that's something most fans have wanted--to watch Peter continue to grow up. At the same time though it's disheartening to watch him grow and age...even though that's a part of real life it also makes this story seem more real. I just think aging in general is a depressing thing. And Peter is making bad decisions...he keeps the symbiote to help keep him young. It's understandable I guess but you feel for him in that regard. I love May having dementia as it puts Peter in a tough spot...it's another real life issue. It's heartbreaking. MJ's blow up at Peter was great. Zdarsky is doing a good job of putting these characters through the ringer.

I can't say enough good things about Bagley.

3 solid issues in a row. Can't wait for 4.

I know, I know, Spider-Man: Life Story #3 came out last week. But why not still write a review about it? Especially considering I think that not only is this some of the best work Chip Zdarsky and Mark Bagley have ever done, it's one of the best comic book miniseries out there right now and deserves as much attention as it gets.

Spider-Man: Life Story No. 3: A very different Black Costume Saga

Another solid review.

Now before I say what I’m about to say, let me first say Bagley is my favorite artist ever by far. No one else even comes remotely close for me. His version of Spider-Man is the one I envision when I think of the character. He captured that lean muscular agile frame of the character Better then anyone else....

That being said.....I feel like his work has dropped off. It’s definitely different which I’m sure is normal for someone who has drawn A character for as long as he has. I just feel it’s not what it use to be. I still love it but there’s just something missing. However it’s still amazing to me that he’s always on time and maintains good quality through out. The definition of solid and reliable.

Same here . I’m absolutely loving it. IF this series can manage to stay strong and finish on a high note I feel that chip will have a classic on his hands here. Top notch storytelling combined with great art as usual from Bags.

I’m enjoying the little twists and this definitely feels like a very natural unforced aging process for the character. Hoping he gets that happy ending when it’s all said and done....but I don’t see that coming .

Are they doing an issue for the 2010s or are they ending it in the 2000s? Either way they may have an elderly Peter dealing with Morlun. Not an ideal thing for him.

Are they doing an issue for the 2010s or are they ending it in the 2000s? Either way they may have an elderly Peter dealing with Morlun. Not an ideal thing for him.

According to the solicitations, yes, there will be an issue for the 2010s. Peter will be 72 years old. That is the last issue for this mini.

FINALLY read issue 3. Wow. This is a heart-breakingly great read! Everything is firing on all cylinders. Art, story, and Peter's journey into middle age is sad but relevant.

Zdarsky and Bagley are creating a masterpiece. This is Spidey's Dark Knight Returns even more than "Reign" was.

In a perfect world this series would end with Peter and MJ growing old together.....if it finishes strong this series is up there with “Blue” in my opinion for Spider-Man classics.

Sucks, I've been lagging on titles lately but had a chance to catch up on these this past Mem Day weekend.

Just gotta say...LIFE STORY is turning out to be seriously one of my favorite titles period. It's slaying, it's insane.

#2 is probably the best issue so far. I won't write in-depth reviews but again -- Zdarsky is able to pen these issues packed with so much in the narrative but fleshes out all the components. Peter and his responsibility factor that MJ questions -- is Spider-Man to make up for the fact that Peter is cowardly? Peter and his unrelenting need to do good and how that conflicts with Reed. Such great great stuff.

#3 wasn't AS good as #2 but still an awesome issue. Their take on SECRET WARS. "Our Secret Wars" alluding to their inner demons or what have you. I think it was UWH or someone who brought up the fact that Peter KNOWS he's aging and getting weaker so uses the symbiote out of desperation.

Have to spill for Bagley again. Top 3 Spidey artists if not my favorite. So happy with the work. Love all the alt suits they've been showing, too.

This alternate take on the universe is perfect -- it feels inspired and for some reason doesn't feel like a cheap effort to change things for the sake of change. Not sure how they pulled it off but things like the Death of Gwen Stacy, Black Goblin, Warren, Venom, Flash etc etc.

3 for 3 so far..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"