Spider-Man: Pre-Brand New Day or Post-Brand New Day?

I sure do enjoy TMOB's long history of direct personal attacks and flaming against other posters.

It pales in comparison to your brilliance in putting others in their place... :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

:yay:

The problem with that is you were telling loyal readers the Spider-Man they were reading for the past 20 years was a clone.

I wasn't telling loyal readers anything. :oldrazz:

I was a loyal reader myself who happened to think that Ben Reilly being the original Peter Parker was a dynamic thing. And, even so, Marvel, the writers and editors, were not tell you that the past was worthless. It seems that no one reads these stories sometimes and they just want to shoot from the hip about how their favorite character is used.

Whether Peter Parker was a clone or not it's still not worthless. The whole moral of the story was that clone or real person that deep down Peter Parker would always do the right thing and continue the motto of "Great Power comes Great Responsibility". Whether the clone was Ben Reilly or Peter Parker it still boiled down to the fact that Peter's character could never be broken. He was always a good person. Heck, even Kaine, who was a very flawed clone, still had that goodness buried deep down inside of him despite everything that happened. Peter Parker being the clone, to me, still wouldn't cheapen the stories. It was still Peter Parker, clone or not, and it was still Spider-Man. There really was no difference if it had been the real Peter or the cloned Peter. It always boiled down to Peter Parker doing what was right.

Peter Parker would have went off to Oregon with his wife and child and lived happily ever after. Hell, Marvel could have done a spin off with Peter. Meanwhile Ben Reilly continues on the spectre of Spider-Man, being single, and Peter and Mary Jane would still be married. Baby May would still be in continuity, and by now she would probably be entering later childhood and developing her spider-powers.

It didn't turn out that way and hindsight is always 20/20. That's just the way I felt about the Clone Saga. Just like I don't think One More Day didn't erase 20 years of continuity. The only thing that it erased was the marriage and his identity being public knowledge.

Hahaha, also his history of telling laughably obvious lies to justify his behavior, mustn't forget that.

Oh noes... Dan Slott's girlfriend is yet again poking fun at me... :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Wait a second, What in God's name is a Rumpy Bulge....(no,no,nono...forget I asked that)

It's a Survivor thing... I'm helping a fellow New Brunswickan out... :o

:csad:

First off... to MOB/Rumpy Bulge the lesser....

Yeah, we both went a bit overboard in this thread. Sorry about that. I've been sick like mad the past three or four days and it sure didn't help that I was on here debating BND/OMD which I'm still deeply affected by. Sorry to take it out on you.

Oh, and Pop > Soda :D

What's with the Rumpy Bulge stuff?Did I miss something?

I was a loyal reader myself who happened to think that Ben Reilly being the original Peter Parker was a dynamic thing. And, even so, Marvel, the writers and editors, were not tell you that the past was worthless. It seems that no one reads these stories sometimes and they just want to shoot from the hip about how their favorite character is used.

Whether Peter Parker was a clone or not it's still not worthless. The whole moral of the story was that clone or real person that deep down Peter Parker would always do the right thing and continue the motto of "Great Power comes Great Responsibility". Whether the clone was Ben Reilly or Peter Parker it still boiled down to the fact that Peter's character could never be broken. He was always a good person. Heck, even Kaine, who was a very flawed clone, still had that goodness buried deep down inside of him despite everything that happened. Peter Parker being the clone, to me, still wouldn't cheapen the stories. It was still Peter Parker, clone or not, and it was still Spider-Man. There really was no difference if it had been the real Peter or the cloned Peter. It always boiled down to Peter Parker doing what was right.

Peter Parker would have went off to Oregon with his wife and child and lived happily ever after. Hell, Marvel could have done a spin off with Peter. Meanwhile Ben Reilly continues on the spectre of Spider-Man, being single, and Peter and Mary Jane would still be married. Baby May would still be in continuity, and by now she would probably be entering later childhood and developing her spider-powers.

It didn't turn out that way and hindsight is always 20/20. That's just the way I felt about the Clone Saga. Just like I don't think One More Day didn't erase 20 years of continuity. The only thing that it erased was the marriage and his identity being public knowledge.

I understand what your saying, but i still think it was incredibly foolish to think you could fake out your readership like that. If Peter was a clone all this time, would you be able to go back and read all those old stories the same way? Its also kind of insulting to all those writers who wrote Spider-man during the supposed "clone" period. So all that time they were writing a copy of Peter Parker and not the real one. I know i would be insulted if i were one of them.

I loved Ben Reilly to death but at the end of the day Peter Parker is the one true spider-man, and marvel was insane to think fans would've accepted the fact that the stories they were reading for 20 years were a lie. Yes the stories are still there, but if they kept peter as the clone, those stories would have forever been tainted with the fact that we weren't reading the "Real" spiderman.

I'm well aware of your (and 'clone's) opinion on the Clone Saga. Yes, it would have been a bold and interesting move. Your point is valid. The thing is, something like that should only be over year or two of stories, not 20.

The thing is, when we read Spider-Man, we are reading the individual Peter Parker, who was orphaned and raised by Aunt May & Uncle Ben, bitten by a radioactive spider, became Spider-Man, and lived the adventures of the first 149 issues.

If it turned out Ben was the real deal, that individual was on the road and not seen in 20 years. For 20 years we followed another individual. He may look, act, sound, and think he's Peter, but he's not. He's a totally different individual, just like Kaine.

In other words, we pick up Amazing to read the story of Peter Parker, an everyman who became a super hero, not a clone created by the Jackel to mess with Peter's life.

See, that's what I objected to, not because I think the clone is some lesser human being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"