The Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Sense in SM4

DACMAN

The Spidey Fan
Reaction score
So over the course of three films we saw the spider-sense used less and less. And I've heard the excuse that they just figure we'd get it by now. Which makes sense in the case of like the third one when Pete turns his head just in time so that the pumpkin bomb misses his head and gets thrown back at Harry. Obviously that was meant to be his spider-sense going off. I'm not talking about those scenes.

I'm talking about the burning building that Spider-Man couldn't detect the Green Goblin in. Or in the third, how he couldn't detect Harry coming up right behind him on the glider.

But any way the question is how would you like to see his spider-sense used in the next film?

I would like a scene that is much like the first when time slows down and we get a 360 picture of the room to see that there are guys with guns pointed right at him. They start to shoot and his is bouncing around every where without getting hit at all. We've seen this in the comics over and over and they've yet to do it in the movies at all.

Something like this...

27-1.jpg

On a side note I'd love to see this. This has been my favorite Spidey agility moment for a while.

636456-spidey44ve_super.gif

Last edited:
I like Greg Weisman's take on it:

Spider-Sense is another ability that I think has, over the years, been abused as well. Pete was bit by a spider, not by a psychic. If you buy the notion of SPIDER-sense at all, you need it to fit with (at best) our perception of what a SPIDER can do. So in our show, Pete can only anticipate an incoming blow. That to me, is key. Pete could walk right by a serial killer with a chainsaw hidden under a trenchcoat and not feel a buzz, unless the guy took a swing at him. (Again, he's not psychic. He doesn't have a built-in EVIL SENSOR.) Because having spider-sense is NEW to Pete, he's not even that great at taking advantage of it now. We've decided that his spider-sense doesn't go off (or at any rate it's too low a level to bother with) when he can see the danger right in front of him. That would be redundant. And unless there's a lot of anticipation to a blow coming from an unseen source, he just may not get enough warning or information. Often the warning comes too late for him to react. Often the warning comes. But it's generic. He knows he's about to get slammed - but doesn't know from where. (It's just a tingling sensation. It can't talk to him and give him more information.) I won't deny that some writers -- including, on occasion, Stan -- have in fact turned spider-sense into an all-purpose evil sensor. But personally I don't buy it.

If he doesn't even react to it what's the point of having it at all. Why write it as a power?

You guys understand what it is suppose to represent right? What spider's can actually sense and how they sense it right? Once you understand it, it actually works. The movie did it best when it portrayed it as a 360 picture of his environment.

His spider-sense is suppose to be a spider's ability to sense different levels of force using setae, from strong contact to very weak air currents.

As with other arthropods, spiders' cuticles would block out information about the outside world, except that they are penetrated by many sensors or connections from sensors to the nervous system. In fact spiders and other arthropods have modified their cuticles into elaborate arrays of sensors.

Spiders also have in the joints of their limbs slit sensillae that detect forces and vibrations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider

If that isn't spider-sense I don't know what is.

So in a nut shell it's his skin and hair that can detect changes in his environment and pin point things that may be a danger to him or just a point of interest. His body basically has a mental 360 snap shot of his environment.

I've even heard people go as far as to say that people have this to a much smaller degree. Want to try it? Close your eyes. Well not right now because you have to read this. But when you're done reading this close your eyes. Now take your finger and put it right in between your eyes close to the bridge of your nose. Do not actually touch your skin. But get your finger really close to it right in between your eyes. Feel that, that's your spider-sense.:D Kind of. You feel that because of the combination of the hair right there and your eyes. Which is exactly what spider-sense is.

Last edited:
i forgot what Spider=Man game it was, but the scene blew me away. Pretty sure he was chasing a villain in the streets of NY, something happens and a bunch of cars go flying at him, it soo cool seeing him dodging those cars like that in slow motion spidey sense

i forgot what Spider=Man game it was, but the scene blew me away. Pretty sure he was chasing a villain in the streets of NY, something happens and a bunch of cars go flying at him, it soo cool seeing him dodging those cars like that in slow motion spidey sense
That was during one of the Scorpion parts in Spider-Man 3: The Game.

That was the one time I didn't mind a chase in a game. It actually made chasing him fun. I loved the scenes in that game that really showed off his agility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycj20gD0Y0k&feature=related

I agree with wiseman, if (for example) he is having a conversation with norman osborn and is in no danger then his spider sense shouldn't tingle

I too feel that this is one of the powers not fully realized on screen. But they can't over-do it. I think if you go slow mo everytime, it will get repetetive. For the longest time, though, I have envisioned a scene where Spidey is fighting a lot of guys (wouldn't be that hard to imagine, right?). His spider-sense kicks in and everything slows down, except Spidey, who's moving at regular speed. This would also showcase his speed, power and agility. I like the way the 90's series did it. Perhaps have everything go negative, maybe an audio cue, then we're back in the action. We should be able to infer that it tells Spidey where it is coming from and how big a threat it is. If a fist is coming at his head, he gives the slightest dodge, if a missile is coming at his feet, he leaps. Simple, yeah? But oh so effective.

The comics have always been pretty vague on how the spider-sense works, it's all been dependant on the writer.

As far as I can descern, spider-sense works the same as a sense of smell, in that unfamiliar, identified threats and a strongly 'sensed' objects would induce a reaction.

Examples of this would be: A stranger, someone he knows to be a villain or direct threat to him, and fast moving objects (bullets etc).

Where as familiar objects, or people not yet identified as threats would not.

Examples of this would be: His loved ones could in essense sneak up on him without him knowing, Harry Osborn as he had not been a physical threat to Peter until the point of first attack.

There are of course exceptions that circumvent this rule

Examples include: The symbiote (reason given is because they have been previously bonded), Osborn developed a pheramone that blocked spider-sense as well.

This kind of gives loose explanations for certain things.

The Goblin may not have been detected in the fire as Spider-Man's sense may have thought the threat was the fire and not the strange woman. Spidey was still able to dodge the razor bats.

Harry was able to get the jump on Peter as it was their first physical encounter.

The key thing to keep in mind is that Peter's Spider-Sense is NOT psychic, if it were, not only would he sense danger, but know the direction and the aggressor.

"I sense something unfamiliar close by"

not

"I sense Norman Osborn is about to attack me in 30min"

The original idea of spider-sense came from how certain spiders can sense objects through the hairs on their body (change in wind direction etc) as well as slight vibrations in their web.

This also explains how Spider-Man did not associate the Goblin as a threat as Norman Osborn was not a threat to him, that he knew of.

at the same time, he wouldn't know why the Goblin wasn't a threat. He just senses danger not who is attacking.

The original idea of spider-sense came from how certain spiders can sense objects through the hairs on their body (change in wind direction etc) as well as slight vibrations in their web.
Seriously? Do you not read previous posts before posting?

This is a very intriguing thread, and I've always wanted to go in depth to how it works. I also wanted to see more depictions of it in the film, but haven't exactly been sure how to go about that.

They showed his Spider-Sense working good in the 1st film.

When Flash goes to punch him, the room slows down, Pete see's the punch coming etc.

It would be good to see it more on screen, not all the slow-down stuff, just like a flash of sound or light, so we and he knows something is going to happen.

Tbh, I think seeing more of the Spider-sense would be cool, but I do think it works even if we don't see it happening. I mean, we know he has spider-sense, and we know he uses it. Besides, with all the loud noises and music during battle, it would stand out.

Last edited:
One of the aspects I didn't like was how the Spider-Sense was slowly ignored through the sequels. Let's be realistic here.

In the first film where Spidey is in the burning building and he assumes that an old lady is in danger. Of course we all know what transpired after that. However, his spider-sense would've been off the charts. It senses danger and that was a stranger danger if anything.

I would like to see it referenced more and more. I don't know if I want to see it utilized through minor fights. But if something fatal is about to happen then it needs to be used.

Like, I wish they would've explored more of why Venom didn't trigger his spider-sense. Hence why I hate that Avi made Sam cram Venom in just to please fanboys and the studio.

They need show more of it like they did in the first movie. I love that sound that they used.

One of the aspects I didn't like was how the Spider-Sense was slowly ignored through the sequels. Let's be realistic here.

In the first film where Spidey is in the burning building and he assumes that an old lady is in danger. Of course we all know what transpired after that. However, his spider-sense would've been off the charts. It senses danger and that was a stranger danger if anything.

I would like to see it referenced more and more. I don't know if I want to see it utilized through minor fights. But if something fatal is about to happen then it needs to be used.

Like, I wish they would've explored more of why Venom didn't trigger his spider-sense. Hence why I hate that Avi made Sam cram Venom in just to please fanboys and the studio.

Doesn't change the fact Harry should have set it off. And just because Sam was forced to do something doesn't give him a blank check to screw it up.

Peter knew that Harry was coming. You could see the look on his face just before he grabbed him.

I have it on BluRay. You can CLEARLY see Peter with a look of confusion on his face. Like he knows something is coming. It's a split second before Harry grabs him. Pete's facial expression changes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"