The Amazing Spider-Man Is Webb going to simply ignore the Spider-sense?

spider-neil

spins a web any size!
Reaction score
Isn't the whole point of the spider sense that it is virtually impossible to sneak up on him but look at the times spidey was caught unawares in the movie.

Yeah I noticed this.

I thought after he'd been initially bitten he seemed to have a heightened sense of awareness, for example jumping on the subway car ceiling when the condensation from the beer bottle dropped on his head, catching the fly in front of Aunt May - which was perhaps signalling towards it?

A feeling I have is it's not fine tuned yet? Perhaps he's still working out how to use it or something? If this trilogy is all the origin story then maybe they'll do him perfecting his powers as we go?

Just spitballing here but definitely something I noticed as well.

When Peter reacts to the spider in his room that could simply be heightend senses.

When Peter catches the fly that is just reflexes.

Sure Peter reacts to the water droplet on the head in the subway but what about the guy putting a freaking BOTTLE on his forehead.

Peter fails to sense the Lizard behind him in the sewers (when the tail comes down).

Deleted scene (so doesn't really count) but Rafta sprays Peter in the face with knockout gas.

You could put together an arguement that Spidey doesn't even HAVE a spider-sense (extra sensory warning system) and simply has hightened senses and ridiculously quick reflexes

Last edited:
Yeah I suppose you're right to be fair. I was pushing it a bit haha.

I'd agree with your last point because when the Lizard came along there really wasn't any hint to a spider sense, when you'd expect it to be kicking in more so.

To be fair to Webb it's hard to 'show' the spider-sense. It's simply a buzzing sensation Peter feels, he doesn't 'see' the danger in the form of a flashback. And the spider-sense is an absolute tension killer.

True,but the spider sense activated miles away when the bridge, he heard the police and sensed danger, but when he follows the lizard to the sewers it activates but he doesn´t react maybe the spider sense is telling him somethings wrong but he can´t interpretate it right, and in the subway maybe bacause he was slept and when the drop falls to his forehead he just reacts subconciously?,idk

True,but the spider sense activated miles away when the bridge, he heard the police and sensed danger, but when he follows the lizard to the sewers it activates but he doesn´t react maybe the spider sense is telling him somethings wrong but he can´t interpretate it right, and in the subway maybe bacause he was slept and when the drop falls to his forehead he just reacts subconciously?,idk

Also to be fair, Peter has Just recieved his power so maybe hasn't learned to differentiate between the intensity of the buzzing/tingling.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops, if Electro is the bad guy in the sequel - electricity and all that, you'd think spider sense could come into it more. I guess time will tell really if they're ignoring it or not.

yes, bacause when the lizards are going to the web he starts looking everywhere and he follows the lizards and then he hears the Spidersense again but he doesn´t know where is the danger

Shouldn't Spidey's spider-sense be going off when he is webswinging? Technically he is hundred of feet in the feet so must be in 'some' form of danger.

Shouldn't Spidey's spider-sense be going off when he is webswinging? Technically he is hundred of feet in the feet so must be in 'some' form of danger.

maybe he is aware of that

So spider-sense ranges from dull buzz to blinding buzz that is so intense it hurts. Marvel handbook says the buzzing is at the base of the skull, if so where does the direction come from? i.e. if someone is sneaking up on his is the sensation at the back and when they are right infront of him the sensation is at the front?

Peter's Spider-sense went off plenty of times in the movie.

1. I'd say that his Spider-sense DID go off in the sewer scene, because he tilts his head and slowly turns around.

2. After the rooftop kiss

3. Final swing

Webb definitely needs to explore it in more obvious ways.

Also to be fair, Peter has Just recieved his power so maybe hasn't learned to differentiate between the intensity of the buzzing/tingling.
Exactly. Actually, he does sense the Lizard behind him in the sewers, he just doesn't react fast enough to avoid him.

Peter's Spider-sense went off plenty of times in the movie.

1. I'd say that his Spider-sense DID go off in the sewer scene, because he tilts his head and slowly turns around.

2. After the rooftop kiss

3. Final swing

right, he uses spidersense to swing here i forgot that! so he uses it and yeah, Peter needs to learn how to use it or interpretate it

right, he uses spidersense to swing here i forgot that! so he uses it and yeah, Peter needs to learn how to use it or interpretate it

I really hope that at some point, Peter actually acknowledges that he has a "Spider sense" when explaining his powers to Gwen or MJ. I liked how in Spider-Man 1, the scientist says that the spider in the lab has a "spider sense," so that is at least explained to us differently. But here, I want Peter to say just once, "My spider sense is tingling!" and not have it coming from a villain, like Eddie Brock in Spider-Man 3.

I really hope that at some point, Peter actually acknowledges that he has a "Spider sense" when explaining his powers to Gwen or MJ. I liked how in Spider-Man 1, the scientist says that the spider in the lab has a "spider sense," so that is at least explained to us differently. But here, I want Peter to say just once, "My spider sense is tingling!" and not have it coming from a villain, like Eddie Brock in Spider-Man 3.

Peter - 'My spidey sense is tingling'

Oh man, that sounds 'so' chessy.

I agree though, the spider sense needs exposition. The rule of screen writing is 'show, don't tell' but in this case it needs to be called out and explained.

When I get my blu ray what exactly will I be looking for (in the final swing)? A distortion effect? I missed this and I saw the movie 3 times.

You really didn't hear it even though you watched it 3 times?

I caught it the first time I watched it. :funny:

Spider-sense did go off in the sewer scene. You can hear the sound effect that cues the spider-sense going off, and then Spidey turns his head around.

You really didn't hear it even though you watched it 3 times?

I caught it the first time I watched it. :funny:

So it's a sound effect? Okay, will specifically listen for it.
In my defence my cinema was quite noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"