Civil War Spideys Back!So what Role will Panther play?

WBwins

Sidekick
Reaction score
Before Spidey returned to Marvel,Black Panther was set to play the role of the masked hero torn between chossing sides in the civil war.

Essentially the role Spiderman fufilled in the comics

But now Spideys Back so what use is Panther in the movie?What role do you guys think hell play?

I don't think Spider-Man is going to play as huge a role as people are thinking so I'd say Panther is fine. They're completely different characters and there are thing you can do with one you can't do with the other, and vice versa.

I still don't believe Panther was ever going to play Spidey's role to begin with.

I still don't believe Panther was ever going to play Spidey's role to begin with.
RDJ and Evans fighting over him at the announcement might have been a hint. They didn't have Spidey at the time either.

One is the king of a hyper-advanced African country, the other is a teenager going to high school. How people get this idea that one character can replace the other is beyond me.

RDJ and Evans fighting over him at the announcement might have been a hint. They didn't have Spidey at the time either.

Spider-Man is in a completely different place than he was in the comics. In the comics he was a seasoned superhero who was an Avenger and thus teammates and close friends with both Steve and Tony. That's why it was such a big deal and why so much emphasis was placed on him being conflicted about which side to join. It was basically a kid being asked to choose between his divorcing parents.

That isn't going to work in the MCU because Spider-Man is not an Avenger and barring a very cheap retcon, doesn't know Cap or Iron Man yet. There's no real reason to fight over him or try to curry his favor. He'll still play a part and will probably eventually end up joining some iteration of the Avengers, but it's unlikely he's playing the same role.

Now Black Panther? He's a little more relevant for the sake of discussion here. He's also not an Avenger yet and likely doesn't know Captain America or Iron Man, but there's a reason both sides would want to recruit him. He's a superhero warrior king from one of the most heavily armed and technologically advanced places on Earth. Both sides would view that as a valuable asset, and in Cap's case Wakanda provides a place they could flee to and plan from if they're branded fugitives in the U.S.

We also know part of Age of Ultron will take place in Africa and involve Vibranium, so that provides a logical set-up for Panther to join the plot.

Last edited:

That doesn't really prove much since everyone picked sides in the Civil War story.

Doesn't Wakanda have a space program? Could that be a tie-in to the infinity war?

I'm not sure he was ever going to play that role either, the actor and film was announced, and because the actor was announced he had to be asked which side he would play, and the actor himself (not being allowed to release info on his role) played as if he couldn't choose. I think he will be neutral, but not necessarily a key character. I thought for the most part he was referred to as a side character, or that he would make an 'appearance'. As for spidey, we don't REALLY know if he will play this role either. We can only wait and see.

I still think BP will play a bigger role than PP.

RDJ said pick a side, and Boseman said Panther is his own guy.

If anything that exchange suggested Black Panther isn't going to be on anyones side, the complete opposite to Peter

I guess we'll have to see. I hope that T'Challa's part, though presumably modest, has some impact in this film. I wonder how long this film is going to be, if it has to juggle the Bucky, Registration, vs. Stark, and now Spider-Man/Panther storylines.

T'Challa is the king of a nation. Peter Parker is a child. Both Stark and Rogers will want T'Challa's support because if he agree's it may have a domino effect and other nations will agree. Spider-Man will pobably have a small background role where we see him struggling between sides, but not as important as T'Challa's role. He is a masked hero so he'll get the support of the heroes that have identities to protect like Daredevil and Iron Fist.

Everything except for the last part I go from a video on youtube by Venom2000000

Spidey still needs an awesome intro scene. I dont even mind if its not a huge role in the film. Just something that makes everyone go nuts when he shows up. The dream scenario would be if Spidey and Black Panther both have a good amount of screentime kicking ass

Yeah, I'd like it if that as well. Here's the things that Spider-Man has to do in this film for me. -Like you said, an awesome intro.
-Interact with Captain America and Tony Stark

That's really it. Black Panther can have everything else if they go that way.

With the MCU's Civil War being about government regulation, it's clearly obvious Black Panther will have more relevance to the plot as well as a bigger role in the story than Peter Parker.

I think vibranium will play an important role in the movie. Maybe there will be an 'arms race' of sorts for both sides to get some and use it. Or maybe the Winter Soldier is hiding out in Wakanda (an isolationist country) so maybe both sides try to invade or get permission to enter. Or maybe Iron Man allies with BP for vibranium, while BP gives refuge to Cap and his allies.
^ a bunch of different possibilities for the story, but BP will obviously have a bigger role than Spidey.

With the Civil War synopsis emphasizing the global aspect of the SHRA, T'Challa could help illustrate the perspective of the international community. His responsibility, first and foremost, would be Wakanda's security. So, I can easily see him initially aligning with Stark in the pro-Regulation camp.

Here's how I see it...

So, Spidey aligns himself with Cap and is basically playing vigilante as is his usual MO. BP goes after Spidey (who Stark deems is flagrantly, publicly continuing to break the law) and wounds him quite seriously. BP learns Spidey's identity and realizes he's just a kid. He's a little overcome with guilt and tends to his wounds. Let's say some secret Wakandan medicinal herbs are involved.

BP's still undecided on whether to serve up Parker to Stark. They have a philosophical debate, and BP sees that things on the ground aren't as black/white as he previously thought and decides to join up with Cap's crew.

I think this would emphasize Spidey's inspirational quality while simultaneously giving BP his due by making him a prime mover that might tip the balance.

Also, this has the added advantage that T'Challa's acting alone, against the wishes of T'Chaka, who's currently still very much alive and on the throne. So, it's just T'Challa who's on Cap's side, and he doesn't necessarily have the backing of Wakandan's resources.

No, that wouldn't work. That was the problem, well the big problem anyway, with the comic. They SAID that it was going to be fair to both sides, but it wasn't. Instead, Cap was made out to be the saintly martyr whole Tony and his side were demonized. Having BP "jump" to Cap's side, or at least doing so and then not having someone from Cap's side jump to Tony's as well, only reinforces the idea that Marvel is biased towards one side. Which is NOT how you do a concept like CW.

Is this still Cap's threequel or is it name only?

Based on the synopsis that was released, I'd say this is Cap 3 INO
Sounds much more like an Avengers film to me

How about we wait until we actually get some info from Marvel. Seriously some of you guys like jumping to conclusions.

that's not a conclusion
it's "the only solid bits of info we have makes it sound like this"
and it's not jumping, it's more "attempting to deduce"

obviously we'll only know when the movie comes out, but it don't mean we can't have concerns

People realise there was no official synposis right, collider said they got it from a casting call, when there was none to be found.

You can't have AoU ending with a New Avengers as well as Civil War splitting the Avengers up, one or the other happens.

had not heard that
all the websites reported it as "first official synopsis released"

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure it's not official, perhaps it's correct but it's not official, one site sources another which sources another and they link back to Collider which say they got it from a casting call, but no casting call i've seen has given a synopsis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"