First Avenger (Spoilers) Did Anyone Else Find It Sad...

...near the end when Captain America and Peggy are sharing their last message before the jet crashes and Cap gets frozen? I won't lie, watching that moment tore me up emotionally because I grew to love both of their characters over the movie and thought they were great together, and I thought it was so sad they didn't get a chance to see each other again after that :csad: The ending even left me feeling kind of depressed, when Cap awoke in the present day to see things had changed so much and to think he never got to see Peggy after that. It just hit me hard emotionally and I even recall getting more than a little misty-eyed during that entire moment.
I'm sure I'll appreciate it more when I get the Blu-Ray than in the theater because I was surrounded by a really crappy audience - coughers, incosiderate text messengers, and a bunch of bratty little kids with no parents to tell them to shut their Goddamn mouths. :cmad:

I thought the scene and their relationship resonated well. It was like the opposite of Thor and Jane.

Thor and Jane wearnt in love. She just wanted to 'pound his hammer'.

I had to fight back tears because my brother and dad were with me, but it was incredible. However, the most emotional moment for me in film this year was X-Men First Class, when Charles is trying to help Eric unleash his power.

I'd love it if he said, "Sorry, I'm late" followed by a bittersweet smile form her.

and then she says something like "you still didnt learn a thing about women did you?" but with a teary eyed smile.

id seriously revoke my man card.

Man cards would be extinct if they did that.....

Play nice Tom :) a smart guy like you shouldn't waste his time sarcastically commenting on a post your not interested in. Makes you look petty. :(

C'mon at least keep your schtick straight (though at 50 I know that's asking a bit much - BOOM). You called me rude. Don't turn around two posts later and say 'play nice'.

C'mon at least keep your schtick straight (though at 50 I know that's asking a bit much - BOOM). You called me rude. Don't turn around two posts later and say 'play nice'.
I guess you missed the sarcasm in play nice. (BOOM) lol

Jesus Christ are you serious how old are you guys. The whole love story was horrible. I dont know any even hard core comic fan that saw the movie that even for a second believed or felt invested in the two characters relationship at all. It was one of the biggest problems with the movie along with pacing. The love story was weakly done.

LISA

Jesus Christ are you serious how old are you guys. The whole love story was horrible. I dont know any even hard core comic fan that saw the movie that even for a second believed or felt invested in the two characters relationship at all. It was one of the biggest problems with the movie along with pacing. The love story was weakly done.

LISA

Your opinion ≠ Fact

LISA

Yeah...this post is in no way disrespectful and asking for action. Oh wait, too late :o

LISA
Lisa
I have to respectfully disagree with you.
This is my opinion and of course your welcome to yours I thought the love story was spot on!
We have to remember that both Cap and Peggy's lives and missions kept them on different paths through most of the movie making it hard to have a normal romance.
I like the story of an insecure with ladies skinny Steve who now despite his new body still carried the same insecurities.
Also liked how Peggy started falling/admiring for Steve as a man in the cab as she listened to him talk about his life experiences.
And what could have been more pure of heart when Steve said he was just waiting for the right partner, and we as viewers new he was sitting right next to her.
Also liked the way they kept close enough to pine for each other but because of the war not close enough to do anything about it.
I would bet that many of us can think of lost opportunities when it comes to love, I'm sure many can relate.
We also have to remember that Steve's mission lasted months! They must have wrote or talked by phone over that time.
It was touching to see that cap had added a picture of Peggy in a locket/watch or compass and she blushed when she saw it in the news-reel. That scene made me assume they at least had verbal contact over those months (who knows maybe more).
And I loved the finial scene as they planned their last date together both knowing that cap was about to die (Yes I know that has been done before but it worked for me).
Lastly what could have been more touching when Peggy sadly pulled out the picture of skinny Steve, it was at that moment you new she had fallen for him the person in the cab not when he had been transformed.
And for those who didn't get the emotion of the last scene with cap in the future saying with sad eyes he had a date. I thought it was a stroke of genius to reduce their love for each other into one line. You could feel the regret in his heart as he spoke that simple sentence.
In fact it was so true to the character of Caption America in this movie, a man of action and very few words.
I will agree the pacing was erratic but I think with a movie that had to tell an origin story and so much more JJ the director did a bad place of a job.
Oh! one more thing :) not sure how you can say you don't know any hard core comics fans who thought the romance between the two worked?
Spend a little time reading the reviews thread for the movie at this site you'll find many of those hard core comic there! :)

Last edited:
Lisa
I have to respectfully disagree with you.
This is my opinion and of course your welcome to yours I thought the love story was spot on!
We have to remember that both Cap and Peggy's lives and missions kept them on different paths through most of the movie making it hard to have a normal romance.
I like the story of an insecure with ladies skinny Steve who now despite his new body still carried the same insecurities.
Also liked how Peggy started falling/admiring for Steve as a man in the cab as she listened to him talk about his life experiences.
And what could have been more pure of heart when Steve said he was just waiting for the right partner, and we as viewers new he was sitting right next to her.
Also liked the way they kept close enough to pine for each other but because of the war not close enough to do anything about it.
I would bet that many of us can think of lost opportunities when it comes to love, I'm sure many can relate.
We also have to remember that Steve's mission lasted months! They must have wrote or talked by phone over that time.
It was touching to see that cap had added a picture of Peggy in a locket/watch or compass and she blushed when she saw it in the news-reel. That scene made me assume they at least had verbal contact over those months (who knows maybe more).
And I loved the finial scene as they planned their last date together both knowing that cap was about to die (Yes I know that has been done before but it worked for me).
Lastly what could have been more touching when Peggy sadly pulled out the picture of skinny Steve, it was at that moment you new she had fallen for him the person in the cab not when he had been transformed.
And for those who didn't get the emotion of the last scene with cap in the future saying with sad eyes he had a date. I thought it was a stroke of genius to reduce their love for each other into one line. You could feel the regret in his heart as he spoke that simple sentence.
In fact it was so true to the character of Caption America in this movie, a man of action and very few words.
I will agree the pacing was erratic but I think with a movie that had to tell an origin story and so much more JJ the director did a bad place of a job.
Oh! one more thing :) not sure how you can say you don't know any hard core comics fans who thought the romance between the two worked?
Spend a little time reading the reviews thread for the movie at this site you'll find many of those hard core comic there! :)

What 50yroldfffan said.
:yay:

It was a very powerful scene.
I felt sad. I might have watered up a bit I don't remember. But I didn't really cry.

The believability of the romance is what drove the scene home. You wanted them to be together, you know they were meant to be together, but you also know he couldn't have made any other choice.

What made it more impactful for me personally is that I saw my own relationship with my GF reflected in theirs in some ways (my GF is even English and I'm American. She's tough and I could totally see her in that shooting the shield scene), which connected it for me in a way it otherwise might not have. And made the ending that much sadder.

However.
I was actually extremely DISAPPOINTED with how the movie ultimately ended. The movie would have been a lot more powerful if they had ended on making you believe rogers was dead (especially since comic heroes are almost never killed off in movies), and only then show you he was in modern times after the credits.
At the very least they shouldn't have ended it on such a high musical note. And for anyone not familiar with the comics it might not be obvious to them rogers was frozen and survived that way. They don't ever make that clear.
Although that that point I'm arguing about achieving perfection, because although it took away some of the impact of the plane crash it was still impactful enough that it didn't ruin the movie (and knowing what would happen anyway, it still hit me. I just don't think they gave us enough time to really let the loss sink in).

It is my personal favorite marvel movie. I was looking forward to this for years. I was hoping they would do it right. They didn't disappoint. It could have been better, but it did so much right that I can overlook what it did wrong.

I think one reviewer nailed it when he said that the after credits ending, rather than leaving you looking forward to the avengers, actually leaves you wishing for more Captain America movies. I had a similar feeling.

Last edited:
Well, you gotta admit, when compared to the two other MCU Hero films that ended with the Hero being separated from his love interest due to the acts of his heroism (Thor and Hulk), Captain America's film certainly leaves the biggest emotional impact out of all of them.

I didn't feel nearly as sad for Thor and Banner as I did for Steve.

I actually did feel bad for both Thor and Banner, but I agree at the same time that this scene in Cap did pull on the heartstrings a little.

I think what made Peggy's and Rogers romance that bit more emotional was that even in the little amount of time they spent together, you could tell they were in love, and the fact that they didnt really get to be together other than a quick kiss made that final scene a bit more emotional as well.

I respect all of what was said. Here is what I am saying. As for some back story let me say that I am a woman, a grown woman, and worked on the film. I have been working in film for 15 years now. I have been reading books my whole life. I never want a comic movie to fail. But...

Breaking down the story panel by panel doesn’t sum up the experience of the movie. I could take the intentions of the worst movie of all time and write it out point by point because I have some vested interest in it but that doesn’t make it good. If you saw the film and got into it great, I am jealous as I wish every film could push my buttons like that. But there were big problems with the pacing of the film in general and the chemistry between the leads even on set, that's just how films go. In contrast, though I didn't work the flick, but the last hulk had a great connection between the leads Norton and Tyler and I honestly usually don't enjoy her. But it was felt by everyone on set.

Point by point the story should have been working it all sounds good. But looking at the film as a film and not a comic film of a character I like, judging it against any character piece, the story never got smoothly going it was choppy. No one I personally worked with on the film, nor from the industry, or went to the film with or talked to, felt the movie moved right. But everyone thought it looked ridiculously beautiful. The movie not working doesn’t make a hardcore fan happy, I again want all comic based films to be beyond great which is my point. I guess we hope that if fans ask for more, than we will get it. We hope comic fans will be creative fans and not fan boys arguing about Marvel and DC like they are football teams. And that includes great films like Nolans, which are great films just in some peoples eyes not great Batman films. At least not the Batman we grew up with in the comics, maybe an alternate universe Batman with a hard lisp and poorly shot fight scenes. Anyway sorry for the tangent.

I hope that clears my point up and sorry if I insulted anyone but I hope that you might get where I am coming from. I always ask myself if this was just a story with no action, special effects, costumes, just about the characters would I have liked it.

Last edited:
I think that the reason a lot of people (myself included) were emotionallly moved by Peggy and Steve's story is they seem to have great chemisty but they never got a chance to find out how they would be together.

I actually did feel bad for both Thor and Banner, but I agree at the same time that this scene in Cap did pull on the heartstrings a little.

I think what made Peggy's and Rogers romance that bit more emotional was that even in the little amount of time they spent together, you could tell they were in love, and the fact that they didnt really get to be together other than a quick kiss made that final scene a bit more emotional as well.
That is what i was trying to say.
You said it better.

I respect all of what was said. Here is what I am saying. As for some back story let me say that I am a woman, a grown woman, and worked on the film. I have been working in film for 15 years now. I have been reading books my whole life. I never want a comic movie to fail. But...

Breaking down the story panel by panel doesn’t sum up the experience of the movie. I could take the intentions of the worst movie of all time and write it out point by point because I have some vested interest in it but that doesn’t make it good. If you saw the film and got into it great, I am jealous as I wish every film could push my buttons like that. But there were big problems with the pacing of the film in general and the chemistry between the leads even on set, that's just how films go. In contrast, though I didn't work the flick, but the last hulk had a great connection between the leads Norton and Tyler and I honestly usually don't enjoy her. But it was felt by everyone on set.

Point by point the story should have been working it all sounds good. But looking at the film as a film and not a comic film of a character I like, judging it against any character piece, the story never got smoothly going it was choppy. No one I personally worked with on the film, nor from the industry, or went to the film with or talked to, felt the movie moved right. But everyone thought it looked ridiculously beautiful. The movie not working doesn’t make a hardcore fan happy, I again want all comic based films to be beyond great which is my point. I guess we hope that if fans ask for more, than we will get it. We hope comic fans will be creative fans and not fan boys arguing about Marvel and DC like they are football teams. And that includes great films like Nolans, which are great films just in some peoples eyes not great Batman films. At least not the Batman we grew up with in the comics, maybe an alternate universe Batman with a hard lisp and poorly shot fight scenes. Anyway sorry for the tangent.

I hope that clears my point up and sorry if I insulted anyone but I hope that you might get where I am coming from. I always ask myself if this was just a story with no action, special effects, costumes, just about the characters would I have liked it.
Thanks for the follow up!
I wonder if this could be a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees. :)
You say your worked on the film and saw some dysfunction plus have worked in the film business for 15 years. I hope working on this film hasn't left you just a little bit jaded :(
I really do respect your opinion and those of the circle of friends who's opinions you respect.
I'm just sorry you couldn't enjoy the movie as I did.
Let me give you some background on me.
I am that hardcore comic fan who grew up on Marvel Comics in the 60's.
To me these characters were more then pictures on paper they were alive. I'm also an illustrator, who even at my young age in the 60's looked at comics with the critical eye of a budding artist. I came to appreciate giants like Jack Kirby and many others for their talent of story telling through pictures, each in his or her own unique way and style. (Kirby was the best!)
I'm also a huge movie buff who has loved movies of all generes and from all angles cinematography, editing, writing, lighting, special effects, the list goes on.
Do I call this a perfect movie? no!
I agree with your comment that it was a ridiculously beautiful movie to look at.
Was the pacing choppy at times? Yes!
At times the jumps or cuts from scene to scene were abrupt and almost took me out of the moment.
But taken as a whole I loved this movie! I loved the details of the movie, the Easter eggs and the deft handling of the comic book material.
I loved the innocence and flavor of the period (40's) that JJ captured and the slick job of taking a character who in original red, white, and blue uniform could have fallen of the cheesy chart but instead was incorporated into the USO show that celebrated it. And cheers to the designers that then took said uniform and turned it into a practical real life old school look that we the viewer could believe he could fight in.
So many things were right about this movie (like the acting) then were wrong.
I'm afraid many of the critics who didn't get it just had to move from in front of that proverbial tree they were standing in front of to see the forest behind it. :)
I have to say again I liked the simple clean love story.
Was it a Doctor Zhivago love story? No!
But it worked for me, plus I wasn't looking for that terrible angst that was the love story in the Fountain. lol
I took joy watching this movies through the eyes of an adult movie lover/kid who loved these comics in the 60's.
Speaking of DC I'm glad the movie didn't move to the Batman/Nolan style of darkness. That's not what Caps origin story is about, besides it's been done ad nauseam.
I was so over the.. if I talk low and raspy nobody will know it's me (batman voice) in the last movie. lol
Thank god the movie was saved by the acting genius of the late Heath Ledger. nuff said!
I'm glad I didn't work on this movie.
I could experience it and the love story fresh. For me it wasn't tainted by the reality of the set or cries for MAKE UP!! lol
And like I said before as one reads through the majority of the fan reviews you'll find a good mix of hardcore and newbie fans who agree it was a darn good movie. The majority got what JJ was trying to sell them..
FUN!
Oh! one last thing! I loved how the previews showed a clip of Peggy unloading a clip on Caps shield. When in the reality of the movie she was actually acting out a bit of jealous rage after catching Cap smooching with some random dame.
bad place has no fury like a woman scorned! lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"