Square Enix's Avengers

Absolute waste by Square. Shame they got the license.

Will be a while before we see another attempt at an Avengers game.
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Black Widow
Shang-Chi
Eternals
Blade
Fantastic 4
X-Men

Those should be in the works.

Will be a while before we see another attempt at an Avengers game.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ultimate Alliance 4.

Now, a game focused on the MCU Avengers, on a super big budget, not likely.

Now, a game focused on the MCU Avengers, on a super big budget, not likely.
The funny thing is if the MCU had started up just a few years earlier we'd have gotten video game adaptations of most if not all of the films and not just Phase 1 from Iron Man through Captain America. The majority of them probably would have been terrible but the line of MCU video games got cut short after developers and studios generally stopped caring about most non-Lego movie adaptation games.

I say they focus on individual Character games for a while first. (super excited for the Wolverine game for instance)

Its way easier to focus on getting one character's fighting style/special moves/weaponry correct and feeling good than it is to balance a whole team, plus its a bit immersion breaking to make all the characters feel equally capable when the are not exactly all equal. Then you add in the online multiplayer and live game elements they tried to include here and that's just too much.

At best, if you want to do a team game, have each mission give you the character you will be using, who is custom tailored to that mission. Stealth Missions with Cap/Widow/Hawkeye, Flying levels with Thor or Iron Man, Horde Mode battles as Hulk, etc.

I still argue that the solution, if you want to do a team based game rather than picking one hero? Stop trying to turn it into an action-RPG. A turn-based RPG or strategy game allows for a much deeper level of abstraction.

So I'm playing the main Avengers Assemble storyline through again and man... There is still a really great game there, underneath all of the live service gimmickry.

I just can't express enough how great this game would've been if the development team wasn't divided between two competing game identities. If you strip out all of the live service stuff, add more fleshed out campaign content and weave your multiplayer through the game more organically, you've got a really solid game.

Then just release expansion packs that add to the story but don't bother about live service at all.

The loot system is largely pointless, and cosmetics and all that would've been great rewards best unlocked instead of purchased. I think a gear system similar to AC Valhalla would have been perfect, where it's not random loot drops but pieces of gear that actually affect the gameplay style, that you can invest in.

E.g. Iron Man's repulsor blasts change to lasers, etc, other stuff based on what gear you have on.

The biggest frustration I have is, when the game works, I have a blast. My fully levelled out Iron Man is SO much fun. And seeing all the MCU skins in the story cutscenes, it gives you a real thrill. And then you finish the main campaign and it's just a wasteland of content. And the content that they have isn't even particularly compelling. There's no real incentive to keep playing, and the weird load screens and seperate areas are constantly interrupting the flow.

I don't think Live Service itself is the problem, but you can't just throw that in as an additional value add to your largely single player campaign. Maybe if it was built live service from the ground up, we'd be looking at a different kind of game. But there's a whole art form to getting them right. If you look at something like Destiny, each piece of content is still stuffed with content, emotional story hooks, rewarding incentives and smooth design that just keeps propelling you from activity to activity.

It would be easier to hate this game if it was start to finish horrible, but the parts of it that are great are so completely at odds with the other stuff, it just seems to be a complete failure in vision more than anything.

I honestly would still love a sequel to the core game, but with a more focused vision. Levels designed specifically around co-op. I wouldn't even care if they lock it in with 4 characters only, for more precise gameplay. OR Similar to say Halo 5 or Gears 3, different teams for different story chapters.

One of my favourite, favourite, FAVOURITE things for a great co-op game is when developers actually let their players split up. E.g. It Takes Two, or the Gears games where the game makes you split up and take different paths. Imagine an awesome Avengers level where Thor and Iron Man are fighting alien ships in the air, while Cap and Black Widow infiltrate a base below, that kinda thing.

I've honestly wanted a Marvel game like that for so long, and it kills me to get so close with this one and still feel so far haha

I thought Bucky might've been a copy of Cap, but with the use of firearms seems like he's gonna be more of a Widow clone.

I'd only pay $2 for this game if it comes with all the cosmetics for free

I do still gotta get GOTG though

found it for PS5 new for under 20 not too bad a deal sold my PS4 one for what i paid for this to a friend so it was free, win/win!

Everyone initially complained about Guardians of the Galaxy being able to play only as Star-Lord, but that probably benefitted that game in the long run. The devs modeled it after Mass Effect where the other team members are given commands or such during battle, but you aren't directly playing as them.

The problem is that Avengers is a team ensemble group, and that's harder to pin down in modern gaming without making this multiplayer live service garbage.

It will be interesting to see how Suicide Squad turns out in that respect since it's being made by Rocksteady who redefined comic book superhero games with Batman Arkham Asylum.

Everyone initially complained about Guardians of the Galaxy being able to play only as Star-Lord, but that probably benefitted that game in the long run. The devs modeled it after Mass Effect where the other team members are given commands or such during battle, but you aren't directly playing as them.

The problem is that Avengers is a team ensemble group, and that's harder to pin down in modern gaming without making this multiplayer live service garbage.

It will be interesting to see how Suicide Squad turns out in that respect since it's being made by Rocksteady who redefined comic book superhero games with Batman Arkham Asylum.
Good reminder to play both Guardians and ME Legendary edition. :up: Was supposed to play them both ages ago but not had time.

Maybe a modern version of the X-Men legends style could work well for other team games.

Good reminder to play both Guardians and ME Legendary edition. :up: Was supposed to play them both ages ago but not had time.

Maybe a modern version of the X-Men legends style could work well for other team games.

Well that's basically Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 which came out three years ago on Switch.

Ultimate Alliance 3 is inferior from previous Ultimate Alliance games. It was a disappointment.

Yes and no. The RPG elements are near non existent, but Ultimate Alliance has been working toward that ever since it came out after X-men Legends 2. The combat is actually some of the best of the series though.

The game just looked cheap Imo compare to Ultimate Alliance 2. Looked like the numerous mobile games Marvel have released, while the first two games looked like console games when they were released.

It also didn't help that the game just went quiet after it was released even before the dlcs were released.

Idk who in Marvel thought it was a good idea to make a sequel for the Switch only, and with Switch level graphiX.

The game just looked cheap Imo compare to Ultimate Alliance 2. Looked like the numerous mobile games Marvel have released, while the first two games looked like console games when they were released.

It also didn't help that the game just went quiet after it was released even before the dlcs were released.

Idk who in Marvel thought it was a good idea to make a sequel for the Switch only, and with Switch level graphiX.

I mean, its Team Ninja. Not quite sure what you are expecting. And its a Nintendo game for the same reason Bayonetta is a Nintendo game. Nintendo paid for the game.

The style is very much within a comic book style. I guess if you want a more "realistic" take, you can stick with the Avenger's knock off looks.

I'm also not sure what you were expecting from the devs. They announced their DLC waves, and released them as promised. This isn't a GAAS. You don't get constant updates.

The cheaper made game definitely is a better game than this AAA massive failure, though.

Well I didn't eXpect Team Ninja and it to be eXclusive to Switch, especially given MUA 1/2 were released in different platforms. And I've seen Team Ninja games before, the graphiX weren't on that cartoony level. Bayonetta games to me look even better imo.

Thats like eXpecting X-Men Legends III to be Switch eXclusive and to looks as cartoony as Pokémon when it is announced.

And Idk you are only mentioning Avengers with its "knock off looks" for more photo realistic looks... when there's Spider-Man 2018, Arkham quadrilogy, Injustice 1/2... and I've played X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance back on ps2. The cinematiX especially XML2/mua1/2 were going for photo realistic at that time.

Anyway both Avengers and Ultimate Alliance 3 were both disappointments.

Yeah but Nintendo is the only reason UA 3 got made in the first place. That's the rub. It was not designed as a multi-platform release.

Surprised this is still getting updated with Square’s western studios sold off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"