Square Enix's Avengers

I tried to buy it from BestBuy on Black Friday and my order was eventually canceled.

From the moment they showed this game, from the discount looking Avengers to the talk of monetization, I knew this was trouble. But not in my wildest dreams did I imagine the special kind of failure this would end up being. It's super sad, because the team they had on this could've made something super special. But the publisher would not let them.

From the moment they showed this game, from the discount looking Avengers to the talk of monetization, I knew this was trouble. But not in my wildest dreams did I imagine the special kind of failure this would end up being. It's super sad, because the team they had on this could've made something super special. But the publisher would not let them.

The best meme that came out of that was the Space Balls joke ("You idiots! You captured their stunt doubles!").

Thinking back, there is one former poster who took any criticism for this game to heart. At a moment like this, all I can think is...

tLquSNV.gif

loki-very.gif

What a shame how this game turned out. I recently got PS Premium for the remainder of my current subscription period so I could do Arkham Origins for Christmas. Downloaded this, gave it a go for about an hour before just deciding against it. Figured I could have some fun just jumping into the open gameplay area with some of the characters, but no. It just sucked.

Its fitting that even the link for their announcement doesn't work properly.
:funny: :csad:

What an utter disappointment this has been. Was so looking forward to an Avengers game for so many years.

Yeah that first unveil was super rough, and accurate to the quality of what we ended up getting. Exactly, if that team had been allowed to give their best and make a straightforward game without all the enforced ****e on top we could have got something special. Modern Square have a whole bunch of issues.

A case like this, pulling a game from storefronts completely when you end support for it, is exactly why things like the upcoming Suicide Squad game and other massive titles forcing free-to-play-style live service mechanics are concerning.

I said from the beta that this game was a disappointment. It's only a shame this game limped on for as long as it did. I'm not sorry for what was lost, I'm sorry for what we could have had instead.

Marvel has dropped the ball as far as gaming goes (their TV content, animated especially, hasn't been stellar either). The mcu has been going on for so long now yet we're still starved for good gaming content. Say what you will about the early mcu tie-ins, but I'd still take them over this.

I said from the beta that this game was a disappointment. It's only a shame this game limped on for as long as it did. I'm not sorry for what was lost, I'm sorry for what we could have had instead.

Marvel has dropped the ball as far as gaming goes (their TV content, animated especially, hasn't been stellar either). The mcu has been going on for so long now yet we're still starved for good gaming content. Say what you will about the early mcu tie-ins, but I'd still take them over this.
Yeah, been very disappointing. Spider-Man by Insomniac at least has been quality and I heard good things about the mobile game Snap, and also have some friends who have been enjoying Midnight Suns. But most of all I want a AAA Avengers/X-Men/overall MCU game to become a huge success and comprehensively deliver on what fans want. They need to think about making the best possible game first and monetisation after - it will come naturally after making something that everyone loves.

A case like this, pulling a game from storefronts completely when you end support for it, is exactly why things like the upcoming Suicide Squad game and other massive titles forcing free-to-play-style live service mechanics are concerning.
Yeah, at the moment it is the forced implementation of these mechanics that is a significant contributor in these games being compromised.

The problem with the type of monetisation the gaming industry wants to implement is that it tends on catching "whales" who will just throw money at whatever whilst the rest of us turn our nose up at it.

I do still intend to play this game at some point just because super hero games are still pretty lacking. But sad to hear they're shutting it down. Thankfully the single player stuff will still be playable as that's all I ever play anyway.

And so the sun sets on the biggest Marvel game misfire in history. R.I.P.

They didn't even release half of the leaked characters.

Last edited:
This comes as a shock to nobody.
Okay im a bit surprised the game held on this long considering even before Release people didnt expect the game to get 6 months support.

Its a shame, because underneat there is a solid game to be found.
And the GAAS idea isnt even the worst idea ever...just that with a publisher like SE that is famous for throwing games away that sell good because they got more and more obsessed with NFTs instead...things were always looking grim.

With a better publisher that cares, this could have been a long lasting game.

Its a damn shame because the market is still so thin when it comes to Comic Book games, so i feel like ever misfire makes other Developers/Publishers wary of touching these.
Which sucks because i need far more Comic Book games.

And you are absolutely right to be concerned. . . because for the studios pushing them, this is a *feature* of GAAS, not a bug. Being able to unplug the servers and shut down the game means never needing to compete with your own prior products.

I do still intend to play this game at some point just because super hero games are still pretty lacking. But sad to hear they're shutting it down. Thankfully the single player stuff will still be playable as that's all I ever play anyway.
Can you play the entire thing in single player without the need for servers?

I don't get why this is being delisted. Like okay they could close the servers for the marketplace and multiplayer. But the solo campaign and the dlcs with story campaign, some people would actually buy the game for 10 dollars or less.

I just don't know an AAA game, that has a solo story campaign that has been delisted, removed from retail and digital stores, as someone who only caught up to plenty of ps4 games from 2018 to 2021.

I don't get why this is being delisted. Like okay they could close the servers for the marketplace and multiplayer. But the solo campaign and the dlcs with story campaign, some people would actually buy the game for 10 dollars or less.

I just don't know an AAA game, that has a solo story campaign that has been delisted, removed from retail and digital stores, as someone who only caught up to plenty of ps4 games from 2018 to 2021.
Square Enix botched this whole thing just like Rocksteady is about to botch Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League and go down the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"