Stan Lee Dead at 95

Chadwick boseman’s musical tribute to Stan Lee was so unique and touching. What class, seriously that was poetic

Oh wow I had no idea we were the problem. Thanks for that insight Maher :o

He's an idiot quite apart from trashing Stan Lee. And this bit shows exactly why:

Bill wrote an essay on his blog, saying he has nothing against comic books, but they're for kids ... and when you grow up you should "move on to big-boy books without the pictures."

He mused that around 20 years ago, adults had a revelation ... "They didn't have to give up kid stuff. And so they pretended comic books were actually sophisticated literature."

Has he never heard of multiple intelligences? Where you can have more than just literary or mathematical intelligence? There are such things as visual intelligence or kinesthetic intelligence etc.

Any educationalist would tell him that he is doing exactly what educationalists would say is precisely the wrong thing to do. He assumes that only certain types of intelligences are valid. In schools, and academia, a lot of emphasis is put on either being literary or mathematically intelligent, as if these are the only measures of intelligence or the only learning styles.

But there are more than just those two styles of learning. Many people learn visually. That's precisely what comic books do.

He obviously doesn't realise that, which shows that he is actually stupid and dumbed down.

Last edited:
Without any real basis, I'm willing to guess a good number of folks- probably not here, anyway- outraged at Bill Maher have probably never watched his show or stand-up material before. It's bad timing, but not unlike anything else Maher would say about modern culture.

Sounds like most of my college professors telling me comics were lesser than any other artistic avenue, I tuned them out and kept digging what I dig.

BdQm3bd.jpg

Bill Maher has always been a smug a-hole. I may agree with him on a few things politically, but the way he goes out of his way to attack people who aren't atheists is despicable. I'm not much of a believer either but I recognize that people need faith.

His statement on Lee's passing is the same bait. He thinks people can't enjoy entertaining things and still hold complex views on other things.

Which itself kind of reveals Maher himself is intellectually incapable of holding complex views. Like when his Religulous movie cherry picks the dumbest religious people he can find to mock, and avoids anyone who could actually halfway intelligently debate him.

Reactions: CJ
That's usually what a lot of those types of things do. You can't find someone that actually is the thing you're mocking and have them actually be rational. That ****s up your whole thing.

Bill Maher has always been a piece of **** and he's only gotten worse with age.

I find it funny he's criticizing Stan Lee and comic books when he appeared in IM3 as himself talking about Iron Patriot. Guess he had no problem taking whatever paycheck they gave him for that cameo.

Ill let the great C. S. Lewis respond to Maher:

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

So go right ahead and worry about "adulting" and appearing "adult", Mr. Maher. I'll be over here enjoying Mr. Lee's wonderful legacy.

I'm not sure where else to put this as this seems a fitting place so:

Also interesting that Lee was a big advocate for civil rights and acceptance, and actually addressed this in letters to the readers. But according to Maher all he did was dumb kids down.

I find it funny he's criticizing Stan Lee and comic books when he appeared in IM3 as himself talking about Iron Patriot. Guess he had no problem taking whatever paycheck they gave him for that cameo.
I completely forgot about that.

Also interesting that Lee was a big advocate for civil rights and acceptance, and actually addressed this in letters to the readers. But according to Maher all he did was dumb kids down.

While Maher is not so subtly racist, transphobic, and Islamophobic.

Bill Maher is not a debater. All he does is mock. In many ways the lowest form of comedy.

I should've said my peace on this a lot sooner. Truth be told, I haven't ever purchased a Marvel comic book, (Well I did buy the 'Ultimate Spider Man: Learning Curve' trade paperback in 2002..) but I have experienced Stan Lee's many creations via movies, television and video games.

I never met the guy, but he always seemed so energetic, even at his old age. He was very passionate about geek culture and his warm personality shined through in his many cameos. Stan seemed like a man with a great sense of humor.

With the exception of Batman, I always preferred Marvel Comics due to their legendary roster of characters. Spider Man, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men, Fantastic Four, just to name a few. The guy was a golden goose, hatching brillant idea after brillant idea.

(Spider Man will always be my favorite comic book character of all time because he is so relatable, and the ability to swing across skyscrapers is just so darn cool.)

His creations not only established a long running comic series with devoted fans, but also inspired many great filmmakers like Sam Raimi and Jon Feaverau to create iconic pieces of cinema, bringing in new generations of fans to experience his timeless characters.

RIP Stan. You truly were 'the man'

What an ass. I don’t know a thing about comic books but I’m going to assume they’re bad.

But talk about making my point for me: Yeah, I don't know very much about Stan Lee and it certainly wasn't a swipe at Stan Lee,"
Maher said.

Maher continued, "Yeah, fine. I am agnostic on Stan Lee. I don't read comic books. I didn't even read them when I was a child. What I was saying is, a culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb [frick]ing culture. And for people to get mad at that just proves my point."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"