Stand-Alone Movies Stand Alone & Spin-Off Star Wars movies...what would you like to see get made?

A lot of people seem to forget that the new films aren't necessarily going off the EU. A lot of people are saying how an Obi-Wan movie would be boring because he stayed on Tattoine. Well that may or may not be the case anymore. They may borrow ideas from the EU but it most likely won't be the direct adaptations people are expecting. Lucasfilm has demonstrated again and again with the Clone Wars, they can overwrite anything and everything not in the films.

You keep mentioning that we've seen a lot of Obi, but I don't think I'll ever get the argument. If the movie's good, why would that matter? Especially if Ewan is willing to reprise. And especially since Disney is going to bomb us with SW films come '15, it's not like the Obi film will rob some other movie's chances of getting made.

People love the character, and he's not as overexposed as you make him out to be.

Obi-Wan already has a movie, infact he has three. I'm a big fan of the character too, even with my less than positive disposition on the prequels I believe Ewan did just as much for the character as Sir Alec. However an Obi-Wan spinoff would be like a Luke Skywalker Spin-Off, or a Frodo spin off from Lord of the Rings.

The story of the Saga (as it stands) is Anakin Skywalker's fall from grace and his redemption, however Lucas has stated several times the protagonists and Obi-Wan and Luke.

I would like to see a light sabre duel between Vader and Obi Wan in his prime, but I realise that is best left to the sidelines of a different character's film.

I'll throw my hat in for an Obi-Wan movie.

I would like to see a light sabre duel between Vader and Obi Wan in his prime, but I realise that is best left to the sidelines of a different character's film.

Would totally ruin the whole "i've been waiting for you obi-wan we meet again at last"

I want a Ponda Baba movie! He is the most misunderstood character of the franchise!

I'd rather see a movie about PRUNE FACE!!!

[YT]mdEUwHF7d7I[/YT]

Of course he's a popular character and of course if there is quality I'm all for it. However I think Disney is somewhat distancing themselves a tad from major PT characters to give the NT a different feel. That and Han is a lovable character as well. And there has been no talk of an Obi-wan one so right now it's more likely we will see the Han one ect.

We're speculating, of course, I know there's no word of a Kenobi film. Still, there are talks of a Yoda movie, so it doesn't look like they're trying too hard to move away from the PT. Obi was much more central in the PT, but he's not exclusive to it. To have a movie about him, even with Ewan, won't mean they're not distancing themselves from the PT. Besides, they may plan something for "Phase 2" (ugh), after Ep7 will have (probably) washed the PT taste off the general audience's mouths.

Would totally ruin the whole "i've been waiting for you obi-wan we meet again at last"
No, I thought about that, but realised it wouldn't. Vader's statement doesn't refer back to any specific incident, and I think it would be perfectly acceptable for the pair's rivalry to form the A>B, A=B, A<B pattern that was commonly used in old comicbooks. In the third prequel, we have the master defeating his student, while in A New Hope the master has "grown weak" and the roles are reversed. I think seeing the scintilla temporis when they are perfectly matched, and fight each other to a standstill, would be quite exciting.

Edit: notwithstanding Vader's comment that, last time, he was 'the learner'. That would still be the case if he had continued to develop as Obi declined.

Last edited:
Ah, ye olde "My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count" in RotS, which works for their AotC duel, as well as their Clone Wars cartoon encounter(s).

Sorry, I don't know the material, so you will have to explain.

Well, in RotS, it's Anakin's first line to Dooku, and it implies that it's the first time they've seen each other since their AotC duel. But Anakin and Dooku have fought again between that, during the Clone Wars, as chronicled in the cartoon of the same name. The line is vague enough to work for someone who's only seen the movies, as well as someone who's seen the cartoon, without creating a plot hole.

In essence, I'm with ya. I'd love to see a duel between roboVader and Obi sometime before ANH.

Personally, I hate when they do that A>B, A=B, A<B **** so I'm disappointed in you for even suggesting it.

I'm sure that there's some great EU material about Han, but I'm just personally not interested in the character beyond his role in the OT. It's a very subjective issue.

I agree that we could see a lot of great new places with a shadier character like Han, but I'd honestly rather see an original character explore those places instead. I don't know why, but I just feel like Solo's story has run it's course, and any further exploration in the form of prequels would feel like backtracking to me. You could probably say the same about Obi-wan, but I'm selfish. I didn't completely like he way he was handled in the prequels and I'd like to see him get another chance to shine. Plus, he's probably my favorite Star Wars character. For me, I think this is just a matter of unfounded, extreme bias. :oldrazz:

Not to say that I wouldn't watch a Han Solo movie (I certainly WOULD skip a Yoda film though). It's just that I would rather see an Obi-Wan movie, first.
Personally, I don't see how you could even compare/prefer a new character over Han, as a new character is a non-existing entity. It would be akin to saying you prefer Godfather Part 4 to the first two. It doesn't exist, so you really have no clue if its superior or not.

I'd like to see a movie based on the bounty hunters we got a short glimpse of in ESB. It be interesting to see their background stories such as Bossk, Dengar, IG 88, etc. Another background character I think would be perfect would be BoShek (guy Kenobi speaks with inside Mos Eisley cantina).

I'd like to see a movie based on the bounty hunters we got a short glimpse of in ESB. It be interesting to see their background stories such as Bossk, Dengar, IG 88, etc. Another background character I think would be perfect would be BoShek (guy Kenobi speaks with inside Mos Eisley cantina).
On this line of thinking, it would be cool to get to know rebel pilots more, for example Wedge. I had hoped if the Live Action tv show happened that they would feature more of the rebel pilots. Hopefully Disney is looking into the LAS ideas and can do something like that if not for movies, at least for tv :yay:

Greedo the movie! :woot:

No, I thought about that, but realised it wouldn't. Vader's statement doesn't refer back to any specific incident, and I think it would be perfectly acceptable for the pair's rivalry to form the A>B, A=B, A<B pattern that was commonly used in old comicbooks. In the third prequel, we have the master defeating his student, while in A New Hope the master has "grown weak" and the roles are reversed. I think seeing the scintilla temporis when they are perfectly matched, and fight each other to a standstill, would be quite exciting.

Edit: notwithstanding Vader's comment that, last time, he was 'the learner'. That would still be the case if he had continued to develop as Obi declined.

No you forget the entire sequence of events. The way Vader went crazy when he sensed his presence and ran all over the station searching for him. The fight was generally dull visually and the whole thing that drives it is the tension between the two characters. By taking your approach it would be effectively undermined, as would Kenobi's entire arc in the film.

Well, in RotS, it's Anakin's first line to Dooku, and it implies that it's the first time they've seen each other since their AotC duel. But Anakin and Dooku have fought again between that, during the Clone Wars, as chronicled in the cartoon of the same name. The line is vague enough to work for someone who's only seen the movies, as well as someone who's seen the cartoon, without creating a plot hole.

In essence, I'm with ya. I'd love to see a duel between roboVader and Obi sometime before ANH.

No it created a pretty big plot hole there too. Only thing was Dooku and Anakin didn't have the same developed relationship Vader and Obi-Wan do. The old "two wrongs makes a right" has never been a solid basis for an argument.

No you forget the entire sequence of events. The way Vader went crazy when he sensed his presence and ran all over the station searching for him.
I don't recall Vader running anywhere, and the line you are referring to ("something I haven't sensed since...") is no more evidential of anything specific than the dialogue during the fight itself.

That fight has to succeed on its own merits, because the exact relationship of Obi and Vader was not known at the time. It is a mistaken inference to say that the scene could be "ruined" by the subsequent modification of the context of another scene subsequently scripted and filmed.

I don't recall Vader running anywhere, and the line you are referring to ("something I haven't sensed since...") is no more evidential of anything specific than the dialogue during the fight itself.

He also had an entire conversation with Tarkin, who assured him the Jedi have been dead for some time and he's the last of his kind. You also have over looked the fact that film isn't just dialogue it's visuals. His reaction to sensing Obi-Wan is taken a back, like he's thinking "No it can't be".

That fight has to succeed on its own merits, because the exact relationship of Obi and Vader was not known at the time. It is a mistaken inference to say that the scene could be "ruined" by the subsequent modification of the context of another scene subsequently scripted and filmed.

Your point is once again moot, in both senses of context in the film and context in the trilogy. At this point in the film we know that Vader was once Obi-Wans apprentice who fell to the darkside and Obi-Wan was hero who helped the princess' father years ago in the war.

Not to mention the whole story of Star Wars is based heavily upon the omni-myth and Joseph Cambells outline of the heroes journey. The final step of which is retirement and the call back to duty. Obi-Wan wasn't out fighting the Empire between Episodes III-IV, he was an old hermit on Tatooine protecting Luke. Bringing up another problem as to why Obi-Wan would leave Luke and at the end of the journey decide he needs to go back and be a crazy hermit.

Retcons are more often than not, a bad thing. If there was really a need to make an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, Vader should not be a part of it, and he shouldn't leave Tattoine.

EDIT: You say it's just A>B, A=B, A<B, but it's just not the case. Look at Gianakins response about the Clone Wars and Dooku, he gave the perfect example. "My powers have doubled since the last time we met Count" like when last week? It was like Luke and Vader, when Dooku last saw Anakin he was just a student falsely believing he was ready and now he's the real deal. Well with the Clone Wars he's encountered Jedi Anakin for some time and it just doesn't have the same effect. He's like a saturday morning cartoon villain and Vader and Obi-Wan should not be that.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't see how you could even compare/prefer a new character over Han, as a new character is a non-existing entity. It would be akin to saying you prefer Godfather Part 4 to the first two. It doesn't exist, so you really have no clue if its superior or not.

There is no guarantee that a movie will be good whether a new character is being introduced, or if there is a returning personality played by a new actor. Each scenario presents its own set of challenges.

I want a new character because Han Solo is not very interesting to me. He was stale by RotJ. I never compared a non-existing character to Han Solo. That's ******ed.

I said that I wanted to see an original character because I felt like examining Solo's backstory would feel like unnecessary backtracking. How is that hard to understand?

He also had an entire conversation with Tarkin, who assured him the Jedi have been dead for some time and he's the last of his kind. You also have over looked the fact that film isn't just dialogue it's visuals. His reaction to sensing Obi-Wan is taken a back, like he's thinking "No it can't be".

Your point is once again moot, in both senses of context in the film and context in the trilogy. At this point in the film we know that Vader was once Obi-Wans apprentice who fell to the darkside and Obi-Wan was hero who helped the princess' father years ago in the war.

Not to mention the whole story of Star Wars is based heavily upon the omni-myth and Joseph Cambells outline of the heroes journey. The final step of which is retirement and the call back to duty. Obi-Wan wasn't out fighting the Empire between Episodes III-IV, he was an old hermit on Tatooine protecting Luke. Bringing up another problem as to why Obi-Wan would leave Luke and at the end of the journey decide he needs to go back and be a crazy hermit.

Retcons are more often than not, a bad thing. If there was really a need to make an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, Vader should not be a part of it, and he shouldn't leave Tattoine.

EDIT: You say it's just A>B, A=B, A<B, but it's just not the case. Look at Gianakins response about the Clone Wars and Dooku, he gave the perfect example. "My powers have doubled since the last time we met Count" like when last week? It was like Luke and Vader, when Dooku last saw Anakin he was just a student falsely believing he was ready and now he's the real deal. Well with the Clone Wars he's encountered Jedi Anakin for some time and it just doesn't have the same effect. He's like a saturday morning cartoon villain and Vader and Obi-Wan should not be that.

Respectfully, your view seems to be premised on the movies to date being factually galvanised. I don't think that is reasonable. Although I can see much of the merit in what you say, and anticipated your argument, I am willing to keep an open mind on the creation of new events preliminary to the OT, as long as they do not agitate against it too much.

I want a movie(s) that takes place between the events of III and IV. I've always wanted to see the events surrounding Vader hunting down the Jedi.

Respectfully, your view seems to be premised on the movies to date being factually galvanised. I don't think that is reasonable. Although I can see much of the merit in what you say, and anticipated your argument, I am willing to keep an open mind on the creation of new events preliminary to the OT, as long as they do not agitate against it too much.

I can agree to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"