Venom Stand Alone Film Moving Forward!

DarkSuperman

Sidekick
Reaction score
IESB Exclusive: Venom Stand Alone Film Moving Forward!
Written by Robert Sanchez
Saturday, 02 February 2008

Eddie Brock to get his stand alone film, Venom is coming back to the big screen!

One of the biggest disappointments from Spider-Man 3 was how they developed the villains, or actually how they didn't develop the villains, but between the three baddies that we had to contend with the biggest let down was Eddie Brock A.K.A. Venom.

Venom, by far one of the coolest villains in the Spider-Man universe, was played poorly by Topher Grace and was definitely one of the biggest let downs in the entire Spider-Man trilogy.

Not to say Topher Grace was the wrong man for the job, but with poor material and a badly put together movie, you just weren't going to get any stellar performances. I mean, asking God to kill Peter Parker is one of the lamest lines I've ever heard.

But Venom fans rejoice, Marvel is moving forward with a new stand alone film, yep you heard right, Venom is coming back to the big screen.

We've confirmed that "the studio" has met recently with several "A list writers" about a spin-off film.

Eight years ago, New Line Cinema held the theatrical rights to Venom. Since then, the rights have reverted back Marvel. But does Sony have complete control over the character since he was a part of Spidey 3 or does Marvel control the rights to the character with Sony only having distribution rights?

We have to assume that since there is movement and there has been recent meetings with writers this property must belong to Marvel since they have made an interim agreement with the WGA and proceed to develop projects during the current strike. Either way, one thing is for certain, Venom will get a second shot at the big screen.

Will it be a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of storyline or are we going to see other characters from the Marvel universe such as Scorpion or maybe even Carnage? Let the assumptions and speculation begin. We will try to get Marvel and/or Sony to go on the record early next week.

venomfront_250x205.jpg
Here is more info on Venom:

Venom, or the Venom Symbiote, is the name given to the first symbiote life form to appear in the fictional Marvel Universe. The creature is a sentient alien with a liquid-like form. It requires a host, usually human, to bond around for its survival. In return the Venom creature gives its host enhanced powers. In effect, when the Venom Symbiote bonds with a human to form a super-villain, that new dual-life form itself is also often called Venom. The symbiote, with or without a host, is an arch-enemy of Spider-Man, who was the first host it merged with before its evil motives were clear. After Spider-Man rejected it, the symbiote went on to merge with other hosts and so began its popular reign as the villain known as Venom.

The Venom Symbiote first appeared in Secret Wars vol.1, #8 where Spider-Man first encountered it and unwittingly merged together. After Spider-Man rejected it the Symbiote merged with Eddie Brock, its most well-known host, in The Amazing Spider-Man #300 (April 1988). Its current host is Mac Gargan, the villain formerly known as Scorpion.

Originally, the Venom symbiote was portrayed as a mute and lonely creature craving the company of a host. More recently, it has been shown as increasingly abusive of its hosts, and having the powers of speech. Also the Venom Symbiote itself has no known name, as Venom is essentially the moniker it has adopted since its history with Spider-Man on Earth.

According to S.H.I.E.L.D., it is considered one of the greatest threats to humanity, alongside Magneto, Doctor Doom, and Red Skull.

The Venom symbiote also appears in the film Spider-Man 3 first merging to Spider-Man's suit and then to Eddie Brock. Wikipedia

Stay tuned to the IESB as we continue to break the news that matters to movie fans.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=1&article=4249

Wow, interesting to say the least! There's still life in the Spidey franchise yet! I think would be the perfect platform to bring Carnage to life, or perhaps even doing separation anxiety storyline! That would rock! Who knows what they're going to do the possibilities are endless!

"WE ARE VENOM!" :sym:

I always thought it was stupid that Brock got killed in SM3

I always liked that solo project they pitched way back when. It makes more sense to make it now. THe project seemed very Carpenter-esque.

I would love to see Maximum Carnage on the big screen. Just think about this...if Marvel wants films based on some of their lesser known characters like Iron Fist, Cloak and Dagger, etc, what better way than to use a storyline introducing Venom's major enemy as well as the aforementioned heroes.

I stopped reading after he said the "please...kill peter parker" line was stupid. That was my favorite line in the whole movie, and was one of the few times they showed Eddie perfectly, imho. He's a derranged f**k, and that line nailed that. Hopefully, they bring Topher back as Eddie, as I did like him in the role.

I really don't know...but if they don't put Carnage in SM4.....then I'm all for a Venom movie. and they could introduce other characters as well
I stopped reading after he said the "please...kill peter parker" line was stupid. That was my favorite line in the whole movie, and was one of the few times they showed Eddie perfectly, imho. He's a derranged f**k, and that line nailed that. Hopefully, they bring Topher back as Eddie, as I did like him in the role.
agreed on that. it was a strong line. showed how Eddie was truly desperate.
although I loved to see Topher as Eddie...I don't want to see him again as Venom.
1 - Topher's Venom died in SM3...and this new Venom can't resurrect from the deads. it would be stupid.
2 - Topher already said he wouldn't be in a Venom spin-off
3 - it must have no connections at all with SM3.
then I see it being good. and Carnage of course!

I doubt they'd use Carnage in Spidey 4. Cool tho he is. I just see them going in a completely different direction or something. Trying to bring more "Iconic" villains to the screen...ya know...Electro, The Scorpion, Kraven, Vulture...guys like that.

I think that having Carnage in the Venom spin-off is perfect tho.

I really don't know...but if they don't put Carnage in SM4.....then I'm all for a Venom movie. and they could introduce other characters as wellagreed on that. it was a strong line. showed how Eddie was truly desperate.
although I loved to see Topher as Eddie...I don't want to see him again as Venom.
1 - Topher's Venom died in SM3...and this new Venom can't resurrect from the deads. it would be stupid.
2 - Topher already said he wouldn't be in a Venom spin-off
3 - it must have no connections at all with SM3.
then I see it being good. and Carnage of course!

it would be incredibly easy to bring Tophers Eddie back...and I think having it not be connected to Spider-Man at all would confuse the hell out of the general audience.

I agree. The thing about Goyers original project was they had to change the origin in order to fit a Spidermanless world. It seems much easier as a spinoff. Although now that I think of it, you wont end upsaving much space on exposition since the suit did come out of nowhere with no explanation.

Wow, interesting to say the least! There's still life in the Spidey franchise yet! I think would be the perfect platform to bring Carnage to life, or perhaps even doing separation anxiety storyline! That would rock! Who knows what they're going to do the possibilities are endless!

"WE ARE VENOM!" :sym:

What in the world makes you think there's no life in the Spidey franchise? :woot:

I would love to see Maximum Carnage on the big screen. Just think about this...if Marvel wants films based on some of their lesser known characters like Iron Fist, Cloak and Dagger, etc, what better way than to use a storyline introducing Venom's major enemy as well as the aforementioned heroes.

Because it will take ten hours to introduce each hero and villain that participated? You're talking mini series man, not movie.

it would be incredibly easy to bring Tophers Eddie back...and I think having it not be connected to Spider-Man at all would confuse the hell out of the general audience.
I don't really think so.
the idea of killing Venom was Topher's idea (d@mn you!) and he said a Venom movie with no Spider-man would flop like the other's spin-off.
besides...Venom evaporized. Raimi confirmed in the DVD that Venom really died. and he did. he can just resurrect like that. it would have to be a new story...with the true Eddie Brock.

Standalone Venom movie probably won't go over too well, and considering the ending of SM3? I just don't think it's a necessary venture.

as long as it has nothing to do with SM3...I'm ok.

I don't really think so.
the idea of killing Venom was Topher's idea (d@mn you!) and he said a Venom movie with no Spider-man would flop like the other's spin-off.
besides...Venom evaporized. Raimi confirmed in the DVD that Venom really died. and he did. he can just resurrect like that. it would have to be a new story...with the true Eddie Brock.

Well,Raimi probablywouldnt be directing the spin off so his opinion prolly wouldnt matter. The producers, writers, whoever makes those decisions will probably rewrite the ending of SM3 or find some clever way to redo it. It'll be the first movie-verse recon(i think). This is def more of a lower budget, less mainstream type of movie IMO.

Well,Raimi probablywouldnt be directing the spin off so his opinion prolly wouldnt matter. The producers, writers, whoever makes those decisions will probably rewrite the ending of SM3 or find some clever way to redo it. It'll be the first movie-verse recon(i think). This is def more of a lower budget, less mainstream type of movie IMO.
lol
no, I really can't see Raimi directing the spin-off.
also..changing the final of SM3 just to make a Venom movie would fool people.
"what're they thinking? that we're fool?"
it really has to be a stand alone movie. with no connections with SM3.
if it is still connected, then Venom will want to go out there to hunt Spidey and kill him. and Spidey won't be in a Venom movie. think about it.

lol
no, I really can't see Raimi directing the spin-off.
also..changing the final of SM3 just to make a Venom movie would fool people.
"what're they thinking? that we're fool?"
it really has to be a stand alone movie. with no connections with SM3.
if it is still connected, then Venom will want to go out there to hunt Spidey and kill him. and Spidey won't be in a Venom movie. think about it.

Itsnot about fooling people,its just a loophole to get around inorder to not redo an origin story since its obvious the reasoning is that interest of the character is up since SM3. And why does Spidey have to be involvved, the ideaof Goyers film was that Venom was the lesser of 2 evils with Carnage being the enemy which will probably be held up for this project (which may or may not have anything to do with Goyers project)

I dont see venom working without spider-man.. so unless they can come to an agreement with sony for at least using a random actor in a spider-man costume so they don't have to do peter parker, thats the only way i see it working.. u have to have spidey in there somewhere

If this will be done by Sony, then by all means do it.

If this will be done by Marvel, then for the love of God – don’t. There are plenty of heroic characters to be explored. Daredevil, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Deadpool. Etc, etc.

Finally, Venom is not one of the greatest threats to humanity. It’s just some souped up city-level evildoer with a hunger problem. Certainly not of the same level of Ultron, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Red Skull and Loki.

Here's all you have to do to have it be a spin off...

Show the final fight scene, where he gets skeltonized. Then cut to underneath the building, later, and have the symbiote stuck to the roof in a big gooey pile. It lowers down, and reveals Eddie. Eddie talks to the symbiote, and finds out that to fool Spider-Man into thinking it killed him, it made it self look like bones, and disconnected that part of it, so it only looked like he got vaporized. Problem solved.

The only way this might be any good is if it is a reboot and has nothing to do w/
Venom in SM3, who was terrible, Venom-lite. Diet Venom, ugh.

I imagine this film not being made. It's moving forward NOW but things change.

Why can't they just have Venom talking to the audience the same way they have Parker do in all the spiderman films? He can explain (Vaguely if they want) how he reacquired the symbiote and that afterwards a secret Government Agents started hunting him down. In the midsts of all this perhaps Venom repents for being an Ass in Spidey 3 and tries to change himself, but the beast within AKA The Symbiote constantly struggling to make him do evil.

You can even throw other symbiotes in the mix a la Separation Anxiety or Maximum Carnage to give Venom a adversary on par with Spider-Man.

Here's all you have to do to have it be a spin off...

Show the final fight scene, where he gets skeltonized. Then cut to underneath the building, later, and have the symbiote stuck to the roof in a big gooey pile. It lowers down, and reveals Eddie. Eddie talks to the symbiote, and finds out that to fool Spider-Man into thinking it killed him, it made it self look like bones, and disconnected that part of it, so it only looked like he got vaporized. Problem solved.
nice job joker

Sanchez is an idiot... can we wise up guys? Cmon....

I doubt they'd use Carnage in Spidey 4. Cool tho he is. I just see them going in a completely different direction or something. Trying to bring more "Iconic" villains to the screen...ya know...Electro, The Scorpion, Kraven, Vulture...guys like that.

I think that having Carnage in the Venom spin-off is perfect tho.

agreed!:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"