Stand-Alone Movies Stand Alone & Spin-Off Star Wars movies...what would you like to see get made?

It's possible they'll ignore it, but if I were putting money on it I'd say they'll keep elements of the EU, at least the broad strokes.

They're being based on treatments that Lucas wrote, and given that he's said in his world he'd have gone in a totally different direction than the EU, most likely theres not gonna be a whole lot of it in there. Not to mention it'd be best if Star Wars didn't become a bunch of loose adaptations like Superhero films. Really depends on the story though, they'll probably use elements as inspiration.

I'm not sure they can ignore Mara Jade completely. Even if they don't give her a major role, she'll probably be there in some small way. It seems pretty unlikely the film folks will write off the EU that much, change a few little things here and there sure...but outright remove such a huge part of Luke's character post-ROTJ? I don't see it.

I think that they will at least keep the EU mostly intact up until the New Jedi Order era. Stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire are great supplements to the post-ROTJ era. They provide great insight as to how the New Republic works, how Han and Leia's kids were born, and whatnot.

But once they hit the New Jedi Order and Legacy stuff...too much going on there, I think it will be completely discarded. I doubt Disney doesn't want to explain that Chewbacca is dead or how Darth Cadeus killed Luke's wife. I'm pretty sure they would like to use those characters in the Sequel Trilogy. And I think it will be too hard to fit the events of the Sequel Trilogy into the events of the New Jedi Order and Legacy stories.

They're being based on treatments that Lucas wrote, and given that he's said in his world he'd have gone in a totally different direction than the EU, most likely theres not gonna be a whole lot of it in there. Not to mention it'd be best if Star Wars didn't become a bunch of loose adaptations like Superhero films. Really depends on the story though, they'll probably use elements as inspiration.
Lucas has always been a ********ter. He says how he would have gone in a different direction and yet he often mined the EU for material like how he used Coruscant, Darth Vader being C-3PO's creator, double-bladed lightsabers, etc.

I'm sure the main storyline will be different, but if you people honestly think there won't be a ****ton of EU characters, locations, technology, etc. In the ST, you're kidding yourselves.

Not very in character to go running around either. Besides Star Wars isn't just lightsabers and planets. It's more about story and character than that, one of the big details that separates the films and the EU.

You have seen all the movies, yes? That's all they do is visit new places...lol, sure there is a story, but the locations are hugely important to how it's told.

You won't see anyway Star Wars movie without the characters going to & fro on other worlds to solve the story conflicts...

Lucas has always been a ********ter. He says how he would have gone in a different direction and yet he often mined the EU for material like how he used Coruscant, Darth Vader being C-3PO's creator, double-bladed lightsabers, etc.

Lucas has been known to display this quality, however treatments for these movies do pre-date EU. Gary Kurtz has spoken about them on several occasions. Yes they did also involve a very different Return of the Jedi, but they still probably were very different.

Courcesant was based off Ralph McQuirrie's art work for the Imperial Captial Haad Abadon, just renamed, and Double Bladed lightsabers are just a concept. It's not like they said Darth Maul is using Exar Kunns lightsaber or anything. I wasn't aware there was EU material stating Vader built 3P0 though so, touché.

Anyway I agree they'll definately use the EU for inspiration, it'd be almost impossible not to. However I can see them taking more than just elements and paying homage, allowing the EU to coexist in it's own universe. I agree the Thrawn Trillogy could be backstory, but I can't see any of Han and Leia's kids or Mara Jade being in it.

A lot of the EU was bogged down by Lucas' harsh rules for what could and couldn't go. Many adaptions of works where the original author is still alive suffer from the same problem, and though it may hinder some of the stories I agree it's a right they should have. Let's face it Lumiya, Darth Caedus, Darth Krayt, etc weren't as good villains as Darth Vader, Darth Maul, or the Emperor. The new films have chance to create better stronger characters and a better stronger continuity where Luke isn't Chuck Norris, and I say they should go for it.

You have seen all the movies, yes? That's all they do is visit new places...lol, sure there is a story, but the locations are hugely important to how it's told.

You won't see anyway Star Wars movie without the characters going to & fro on other worlds to solve the story conflicts...

It's not Star Wars though, it's a spin off movie. The way Revenge of the Sith ended was supposed to directly correlate with his introduction in A New Hope. It pays homage to the old Westerns, where the hero may have been defeated and walks away into the sunset. He dons his hood and turns away into the harsh desert of Tattoine. Then in a New hope, his hood is finally removed and we see the old man our hero has become, being beckoned for one more journey. Obi-Wan's character was one of the few things OT and PT can agree was done well, they should start screwing around with it too much.

Theres enough of a story to tell they wouldn't need to have him running about. Theres the Hutts, the Sarlacc Pit, the scum and slave traders thriving in the cities, the Sand People, Krayt Dragons, how Owen refused Luke learn the ways of the force, how Qui-Gon teaches him the way of immortality, and how Ben Kenobi establishes himself in the desert. Theres pleanty of Star Warsy things on this planet, and given that it's just a spin off, theres no reason it can't be different.

I'm sure the main storyline will be different, but if you people honestly think there won't be a ****ton of EU characters, locations, technology, etc. In the ST, you're kidding yourselves.
I think the only ones kidding themselves are those who expect 7, 8 and 9 to be exactly like what we've read in EU.

Sorry, but i wholeheartedly disagree. I know she's loved by fans, but she's one character i'm really hoping that they ignore from EU.

Seconded. I never saw the appeal to that character.

It's not Star Wars though, it's a spin off movie. The way Revenge of the Sith ended was supposed to directly correlate with his introduction in A New Hope. It pays homage to the old Westerns, where the hero may have been defeated and walks away into the sunset. He dons his hood and turns away into the harsh desert of Tattoine. Then in a New hope, his hood is finally removed and we see the old man our hero has become, being beckoned for one more journey. Obi-Wan's character was one of the few things OT and PT can agree was done well, they should start screwing around with it too much.

Theres enough of a story to tell they wouldn't need to have him running about. Theres the Hutts, the Sarlacc Pit, the scum and slave traders thriving in the cities, the Sand People, Krayt Dragons, how Owen refused Luke learn the ways of the force, how Qui-Gon teaches him the way of immortality, and how Ben Kenobi establishes himself in the desert. Theres pleanty of Star Warsy things on this planet, and given that it's just a spin off, theres no reason it can't be different.

These are thing you may want to see, but what about mass appeal? They will stick with the basic outline of the other movies...mark my words...Look at your James Bond movies, they have stuck with the formula thru 20+ movies, this won't change either...

These are thing you may want to see, but what about mass appeal? They will stick with the basic outline of the other movies...mark my words...Look at your James Bond movies, they have stuck with the formula thru 20+ movies, this won't change either...

going off mass appeal is a marketing technique not something film makers should use. What I'm saying is an Obi-Wan movie where he just says screw it and leaves who he believes to be their "last hope", wouldn't be the right direction to go. I agree if they made an Obi-Wan movie most likely he'd be running around the galaxy, however that probably wouldn't be the best way to go. Not to mention usually the films that stand out the most in a series or even a genre are the ones that break formula.

On a side note I do whole hearted agree with you however on your point about the EU fans fooling themselves. Most likely they're just gonna toss it. If they used Mara Jade or Jacen Solo it'd be a lose lose situation. The casual fans won't care about who they are and the EU fans will be annoyed if they aren't what they had in mind. It'd be the prequels all over again, I'm not real big on those movies, but theres tons of people that say everything in them is wrong with the soul justification that it's not what they had in mind. Best route is to start from scratch and maybe borrow weapons or planets.

Obi-Wan may find it in Lukes best interest to deal with any threat away from Tatooine, & not risk attracting attention so close to home...The way I see it, Luke is discovered quite by accident and someone is running to sell this information, but Obi-Wan follows him off world in an effort to keep the secret intact & do away with him far from where it could attract attention in Lukes vacinity...the rest writes itself ;-)

Obi-Wan may find it in Lukes best interest to deal with any threat away from Tatooine, & not risk attracting attention so close to home...The way I see it, Luke is discovered quite by accident and someone is running to sell this information, but Obi-Wan follows him off world in an effort to keep the secret intact & do away with him far from where it could attract attention in Lukes vacinity...the rest writes itself ;-)

That'd be good, but i still wish they'd do more with Owen Lars :/ it seemed like him and beru had such a good history with Anakin and had all of these little conflicts with Obi-Wan. If they make his spin off they better put some of that in there!

Well Anakin was only around Owen & Beru for a very short time...not sure how that equals good History...they barley knew him...I think the beef with Obi-Wan is simple, he was a Jedi, and they blamed him & the Jedi for what happened to Anakin, not that complicated really...They didnt want the same to happen to Luke...

I think the only ones kidding themselves are those who expect 7, 8 and 9 to be exactly like what we've read in EU.
Both are.

Exactly. they've stated from the get go that 7, 8 and 9 will be completely original material.

That's not the point at all.

Lucas stated the prequels would be totally original (and they were) but they still features scads of things born from the EU.

That's not the point at all.

Lucas stated the prequels would be totally original (and they were) but they still features scads of things born from the EU.

Of course. I would bet we see a good deal of characters from the EU, just not following an existing story line.

I know some stuff like the name Coruscant and Ayyla Secura were EU inspired and ended up in the films, but what other stuff came from EU? I'm genuinely curious btw, not trying to be a pain lol.

Of course. I would bet we see a good deal of characters from the EU, just not following an existing story line.
Exactly. That was my original point.

EU will serve as some inspiration no doubt, but we're not getting any actual adaptions of the EU and I'm pretty fine with that.

You know, i've been thinking about this and i'm sold on the idea. I really want there to be a series of films based on Darth Vader and Palpatine hunting down the remaining jedi. There will be a so what factor, but i just want to see a few more films with these two together with earl doing the voice and Ian as the emperor.

You know, i've been thinking about this and i'm sold on the idea. I really want there to be a series of films based on Darth Vader and Palpatine hunting down the remaining jedi. There will be a so what factor, but i just want to see a few more films with these two together with earl doing the voice and Ian as the emperor.

I'd bet they'd never do a series on this...but a film or maybe 3, that fill in the gap between 3 & 4, with Vader & Palps as part of it, now that would be something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"