The Best Star Trek Movies

The Undiscovered Country should be listed with the good movies. It really showed the prejudice that Kirk had towards the Klingons, showing that his son's death really did have an impact on him. The movie was a mirror for the cold war (which was ending at the time of this movie). Showing the harshness of the Klingon prisons, and their unfair trials, we saw a lot of corruption in their government.

I used to think like you but when I started to really analyze the movie it felt apart.

For me, it would be .........

1) First Contact

2) Wrath of Khan

3) The Undiscovered Country

I thought First Contact was just excellent. Perfect blend of action, sci-fi, humour and a strong villain in the Borg Queen. I still love watching the first part of the movie, where the crew of the Enterprise listen in on an open channel as the fleet take on the Borg ............... before Picard decides "f**k our orders, we're going there to help them".

For me, it would be .........

1) First Contact

2) Wrath of Khan

3) The Undiscovered Country

I thought First Contact was just excellent. Perfect blend of action, sci-fi, humour and a strong villain in the Borg Queen. I still love watching the first part of the movie, where the crew of the Enterprise listen in on an open channel as the fleet take on the Borg ............... before Picard decides "f**k our orders, we're going there to help them".
I know what you mean, that movie is just awesome. You didn't even have to be a Star Trek fan to like this movie!
I used to think like you but when I started to really analyze the movie it felt apart.

To each his own I guess. Don't know why you think it fell apart.

That assassination scene was really amazing in that movie, imo.

To each his own I guess. Don't know why you think it fell apart.

That assassination scene was really amazing in that movie, imo.

because the whole movie doesn't make sense, is weakly written and consists of stupid jokes.

because the whole movie doesn't make sense, is weakly written and consists of stupid jokes.
What didn't make sense in the film? Well, if you say it is weakly written and has stupid jokes, that is your opinion. I happen to think otherwise.

What didn't make sense in the film? Well, if you say it is weakly written and has stupid jokes, that is your opinion. I happen to think otherwise.

Maybe he's confusing Star Trek VI with Star Trek V. If he is I agree Star Trek V is weakly written and has stupid jokes. I don't recall Star Trek VI as being very humorous.

Maybe he's confusing Star Trek VI with Star Trek V. If he is I agree Star Trek V is weakly written and has stupid jokes. I don't recall Star Trek VI as being very humorous.
Yeah, I think so, too. The Final Frontier was poorly made, and was trying to bring back the humor that was in "The Voyage Home." In that movie, the humor felt natural, like it belonged in the movie because we were watching people from the future trying to fit into a society from the 1980s. In the Final Frontier, the humor had no reason to be there.

1. ST:WoK
2. ST:2009
3: ST:FC
4: ST:VH

oh please.

It's not my "opinion", it's pretty much a fact.

1) Stupid Klingon dictionaries
2) the whole assassination attempt - how does Kirk know exactly what they are planning? Why does he throw himself onto the President
3) Spock finding out about how to track the cloaked bird of prey ("gas") which is nothing else than a deus ex machina
4) Uhurua who is suddenly - during the battle! - there to make a stupid joke when Spock and McCoy (why McCoy) are modifying the torpedo)
5) The lame non-sense escape from the Klingon prison
6) the non-sense search for gravity boots (which doesn't solve anything).
7) Saavik being exposed by the worst ruse ever, sickbay doesn't even have guards
8) what are the conspirators even up to? It's never explained.
9) Why is the whole business so urgent? It's a few decades they have left why the rush to make the treaty
10) why are Kirk and McCoy put on trial in the first place - just to let them be saved by Spock later... who is risking a war with that action!

... and so on...

==> Star Trek 6 is nothing more than a bunch of coincidences.

For me ST:WoK was so good I watched it two nights in a row.

For what it's worth here's my list

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Directors Edition
2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek III: Search For Spock
4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
5. Star Trek: First Contact
6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
7. Star Trek (2009)
8. Star Trek: Generations
9. Star Trek: Insurrection
10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
11. Star Trek: Nemesis

oh please.

It's not my "opinion", it's pretty much a fact.

1) Stupid Klingon dictionaries
2) the whole assassination attempt - how does Kirk know exactly what they are planning? Why does he throw himself onto the President
3) Spock finding out about how to track the cloaked bird of prey ("gas") which is nothing else than a deus ex machina
4) Uhurua who is suddenly - during the battle! - there to make a stupid joke when Spock and McCoy (why McCoy) are modifying the torpedo)
5) The lame non-sense escape from the Klingon prison
6) the non-sense search for gravity boots (which doesn't solve anything).
7) Saavik being exposed by the worst ruse ever, sickbay doesn't even have guards
8) what are the conspirators even up to? It's never explained.
9) Why is the whole business so urgent? It's a few decades they have left why the rush to make the treaty
10) why are Kirk and McCoy put on trial in the first place - just to let them be saved by Spock later... who is risking a war with that action!

... and so on...

==> Star Trek 6 is nothing more than a bunch of coincidences.

It is NOT fact that the movie is bad. If you analyze any movie, you will always find something that doesn't make sense. Now I am really tired of discussing this with you. I love this movie, and that's that.

my list :)

a tie for 1st place:
Star Trek 2009
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek Generations
Star Trek: First Contact

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
4. Star Trek: Insurrection
5. Star Trek Nemesis
7. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Here's my list:

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek 2009
3. The Voyage Home
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. First contact
6. The Search for Spock
7. Nemesis
8. Insurrection

I haven't seen the others

It is NOT fact that the movie is bad. If you analyze any movie, you will always find something that doesn't make sense. Now I am really tired of discussing this with you. I love this movie, and that's that.

those are major faults.

For what it's worth here's my list

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Directors Edition

I think The Motion Picture is one of the better ST movies, but I've never seen Robert Wise's cut. Is it worth seeking out? Is it that much better than the theatrical cut?

I think The Motion Picture is one of the better ST movies, but I've never seen Robert Wise's cut. Is it worth seeking out? Is it that much better than the theatrical cut?

It is a far better film with the changes and extra scenes. They even updated a lot of the sound effects.
My only gripe? There is only a DVD available, no Blu-Ray. Yet...

The only three I am ever motivated to revisit, and I do often because they are great, are...

Wrath of Kahn
First Contact
Star Trek '09

The Motion Picture is literally pure science fiction, and I really do love it.

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek: First Contact
4. Star Trek III: Search For Spock
5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
6. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
7. Star Trek: Generations
8. Star Trek: Insurrection
9. Star Trek: Nemesis
10. J.J. Abrams' Teen Trek

The Wrath of Khan
First Contact