The Best Star Trek Movies

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
Star Trek fans, how would you rank the star trek films?

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
3. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
4. Star Trek: First Contact
5. Star Trek (2009)
6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
7. Star Trek: Generations
8. Star Trek III: Search For Spock
9. Star Trek: Nemesis
10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
11. Star Trek: Insurrection

1:Star Trek 2:Wrath of Khan
2:Star Trek VI:The undiscovered country
3:Star Trek III:The Search for Spock
4:Star Trek
5:Star Trek First COntract
6;Star Trek V:The Final frointer
7:Star Trek IV The Voyager Home
8:Star Trek The Motion Picture
9:Star Trek Generations
10:Star Trek Nemesis
11:Star Trek Insurrection

You can tell I am more a classic Star Trek fan.

1. Star Trek VI-TUC
2. Star Trek II- TWOK
3. Star Trek (09)
4. Star Trek IV-TVH
5. Star Trek TMP
6. Star Trek: First Contact
7. Star Trek V- TFF
8. Star Trek: Generations
9. Star Trek III- TSFS
10. Star Trek: Insurrection
11. Star Trek: Nemesis

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've watched all the movies, but after the Abrams film came out here's how I ranked them, with my ratings

1.) Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan - 9/10
2.) Star Trek 2009 - 9/10
3.) Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home - 8/10
4.) Star Trek First Contact - 8/10
5.) Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock - 7/10
6.) Star Trek the Motion Picture - 6.5/10
7.) Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country - 6.5/10
8.) Star Trek Insurrection - 6/10
9.) Star Trek Generations - 5/10
10.) Star Trek Nemesis - 3.5/10
11.) Star Trek 5 The Final Frontier - 2/10

1. Star Trek: First Contact
2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
3. Star Trek (2009)
4. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
5. Star Trek III: Search For Spock
6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
7. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
8. Star Trek: Insurrection
9. Star Trek: Generations
11. Star Trek: Nemesis

Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are my favorites.

Though I did like Nemesis better than most people.

Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are my favorites.

Though I did like Nemesis better than most people.

There were definitely aspects of Nemesis that I really enjoyed. I thought introducing the Remen race was cool, and there were certainly aspects to terrorism and chemical warfare that were relevant to the day.

I rate the movie low because it was sloppily put together, the script was poor and unfinished. Alot of it was too much trying to copy what happened with Wrath of Khan.

Stuart Baird is one of the best editors in Hollywood, but he's a terrible director.

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
2. Star Trek: First Contact
3. Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
4. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
5. Star Trek III: Search For Spock
6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
7. Star Trek 2009
8. Star Trek: Nemesis
9. Star Trek: Generations
11. Star Trek: Insurrection

In order of release: Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact and Star Trek (2009).

Avoid the rest. You're welcome.

I still think Insurection's heart was in the right place but it felt flat and an extended episode instead of minimalistic and intimate.

I like Generations a good amount just because it combines Kirk and Picard. Plus it has Malcolm McDowell which is always win. I'm surprised to see it as low as it is on the lists here, its always been a personal fav.

I think the weakest element of Generations was the third act. It was anti-climatic and it did to earn that emotional response that it could have.

In order of release: Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact and Star Trek (2009).

Avoid the rest. You're welcome.

I'd add to your list, for me of course, Star Trek the Motion Picture the Directors Cut. Also Generations, Soran's character is so interesting.

1. Star Trek 09
2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
3. Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country
4. Star Trek: First Contact
5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
6. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
7. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

The rest, a big meh. Even the last two on that list can be meh to me.

As for series TNG then a tie between TOS and DS9 have all on DVD/Blu ray (hopefully DS9 will be on blu as well, TNG I will get over the next few years), never cared for Voyager or Enterprise.

Star Trek Generations isn't that bad, it just felt like a missed opportunity. I would have loved to see Kirk's reaction to a Klingon working on the Enterprise. Especially since the opening of the film takes place shortly after the Undiscovered Country

Star Trek Generations isn't that bad, it just felt like a missed opportunity. I would have loved to see Kirk's reaction to a Klingon working on the Enterprise. Especially since the opening of the film takes place shortly after the Undiscovered Country

I would have wanted him to spend the entire movie trying to engineer a three-way with Troi and Dr. Crusher.

What does everyone think the sequel to the reboot will be called?

In general I think that the ST movies are usually rather average or downright bad. Many episodes from the various series are vastly superior.

The good movies:

1. First Contact (great entertainment, but some sloppy writing prevent it from being truly great)
2. Wrath of Khan (works as Star Trek, works as a separate movie)
3. The Voyage Home (good comedy)

The average movies:

4. Insurrection (good idea, but too flawed)
5. The Undiscovered Country (not a good movie IMO, the sloppy writing ruins it)
6. Nemesis (tried to hard to be the new Khan, but some nice action and essentially the same movie as the lame reboot)
7. Generations (interesting to see the tv series step directly to the big screen but the nexus doesn't make any sense and why make Kirk only interact with Picard. Wasted)
8. The Final Frontier (I don't get the hate, at least it's somewhat funny)
9. The Search For Spock (too boring)

The bad movie:

10. The Motion Picture (pretentious crap)

Wrath Of Khan is still the best one. Will take some beating

In general I think that the ST movies are usually rather average or downright bad. Many episodes from the various series are vastly superior.

The good movies:

1. First Contact (great entertainment, but some sloppy writing prevent it from being truly great)
2. Wrath of Khan (works as Star Trek, works as a separate movie)
3. The Voyage Home (good comedy)

The average movies:

4. Insurrection (good idea, but too flawed)
5. The Undiscovered Country (not a good movie IMO, the sloppy writing ruins it)
6. Nemesis (tried to hard to be the new Khan, but some nice action and essentially the same movie as the lame reboot)
7. Generations (interesting to see the tv series step directly to the big screen but the nexus doesn't make any sense and why make Kirk only interact with Picard. Wasted)
8. The Final Frontier (I don't get the hate, at least it's somewhat funny)
9. The Search For Spock (too boring)

The bad movie:

10. The Motion Picture (pretentious crap)

I agree that many episodes are far superior to the movies (Best of Both Worlds for example), since Star Trek's prime has been and shall always be on television. However, I disagree with some of your critiques (but I do respect your opinion).

The Undiscovered Country should be listed with the good movies. It really showed the prejudice that Kirk had towards the Klingons, showing that his son's death really did have an impact on him. The movie was a mirror for the cold war (which was ending at the time of this movie). Showing the harshness of the Klingon prisons, and their unfair trials, we saw a lot of corruption in their government.

The Motion Picture is rather slow and boring, though it reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It has the feeling of what it would feel like to be in outer space. It was the only Star Trek film that showed what it really felt like to exist in the future (or the future in the Star Trek universe anyway). It was a pure Sci-Fi film, and it had a great twist at the end if you were willing to watch it. It had a beautiful score, and introduced many elements that we grew to love in the ST franchise (the new look of Klingons, the theme music, the warp core engine design, etc). This at the very least should be average, not "bad," especially since you list "the Final Frontier," "Insurrection," and "Nemesis" as average.

Search For Spock is a bit boring, but only when viewed as an individual film. It is a nice bridge between "Wrath of Khan" and the "Voyage Home." It had a lot of fun moments, such as both the stealing and the destruction of the Enterprise. I view ST II - ST IV as a trilogy within a larger film series.

Star Trek (the reboot) was done brilliantly. While it is still a reboot, it has a connection to the original timeline, where Prime Spock and Nero originate. Many Trekkies will hate it, others will accept it. It has the ability of creating a whole new Star Trek fan base while pleasing at least a decent amount of Trekkies.

Here is my list of the movies:

Great movies:
Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Star Trek (2009)

Good movies:
The Motion Picture
Search For Spock

Average movies:
Generations
Nemesis

Bad movies:
The Final Frontier
Insurrection

Last edited:
1: Wrath of Khan
2: Voyage Home
3: Insurrection
4: First Contact
5: Star Trek: 2009
6: Generations
7: Nemesis
8: Undiscovered Country
9: The Motion Picture
10: Search for Spock
11: Final Frontier

The Motion Picture is far better than people give it credit for. Yes, it's pretentious, but that doesn't make it crap. It's the only Star Trek movie that really tried to be more than another action sci-fi movie, outside of the Voyage Home.

I love First Contact because of the action it has and the actors involved(most Cromwell), but it has GLARING and I mean GLARING flaws.

The Motion Picture also has a plausible link to the Borg as well, and it's a severe injustice to Star Trek that the evolution of life present at the of The Motion Picture is never present in another movie or expanded on. I don't know if it ever was in the novels or various series (still working through Voyager and DS9).

The Motion Picture is purely sci-fi, as I mentioned in my last post. It was like the opposite of Star Wars, which was more sci-fi fantasy. The Motion Picture felt real... take that transporter accident for example. It was the equivalent of a modern day car crash. It was very scary, and believable.

If it wasn't for the Motion Picture, Star Trek wouldn't be what it is today. There would have been another show, Star Trek Phase II, and that would be it probably. No Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, TNG movies, or any reboot. It probably would have died out by the 80s.

1.The Undiscovered Country
2.The Wrath of Khan
3.Star Trek The Motion Picture
4.The Voyage Home
5.First Contact
6.The Search for Spock
7.Insurrection
8.Generations
9.The Final Frontier
10.Nemesis

3 and 4 are interchangeable and I can't quite place the new movie somewhere yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"