Star Trek (2009) vs. Star Trek Into Darkness

I think the 2009 film was the bigger, more exciting movie overall because it was brand new. It was also incredibly risky and ambitious: the creation of an alternate timeline with time travel could have EASILY failed, but it worked incredibly well. It would be very hard to top the 2009 film in that sense. Otherwise, I think STID is a much more exciting movie, and I enjoyed it from start to finish. I think Cumberbatch was a good Khan, I liked the Kirk death scene as a mirror to Spock's death, and so on.

I give both the 2009 film and STID an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Star Trek definitely felt more fresh (I swear STID reuses some of the same shots...), and it was a more exciting romp of a film.

But STID has a more satisfying story, and a tone that felt a little less Star Wars-lite, and I imagine I'll be coming back more to this one on rewatch.

They're pretty close though (...a bit too close imo).

Last edited:
Star Trek definitely felt more fresh (I swear STID reuses some of the same shots...), and it was a more exciting romp of a film.

But STID has a more satisfying story, and a tone that felt a little less Star Wars-lite, and I imagine I'll be coming back more to this one on rewatch.

They're pretty close though (...a bit too close imo).
I can agree with this. :up:

Whoa. We do indeed have pretty much the same opinion on the films.

I remember a bunch of reused shots/angles in STID… the quick zoom outs, the rotating camera, etc.

I remember a bunch of reused shots/angles in STID… the quick zoom outs, the rotating camera, etc.

I'm specifically thinking of the shots where the ships appear in front of another.

We get a shot from the Enterprise bridge and then a far shot of the two ships facing each other, with the enemy ship being much larger than the Enterprise.

I'm specifically thinking of the shots where the ships appear in front of another.

We get a shot from the Enterprise bridge and then a far shot of the two ships facing each other, with the enemy ship being much larger than the Enterprise.
I don't remember those so I'll have to rewatch and look out of them. :)

Star Trek 2009 by a long shot.

Here here. All STID was bigger and shinier. The heart, and most importantly the fresh ideas was all dried up. I may give Into Darkness another view, see if I can see what some of you other guys got out of it. But I think RT has it right with STID at 87% and ST09 at 95%, though I personally wouldn't give STID that much at the moment.

Both films are f***ing amazing and I never even liked Star Trek before Abrams got ahold of it. They're both tremendously entertaining and well-acted films. Most of the complaints I've read about the series are from fans who already have thoughts about who these characters are and what makes the series great. But from someone who is unaware about the history of these characters...man, both films are brilliant.

I can't wait to see what JJ does with Star Wars and I really hope Orci doesn't **** up the third film :).

I prefer Star trek into darkness. But i haven't seen ST09 more than once so i can't say it for sure.

Both films are f***ing amazing and I never even liked Star Trek before Abrams got ahold of it. They're both tremendously entertaining and well-acted films. Most of the complaints I've read about the series are from fans who already have thoughts about who these characters are and what makes the series great. But from someone who is unaware about the history of these characters...man, both films are brilliant.

I can't wait to see what JJ does with Star Wars and I really hope Orci doesn't **** up the third film :).

Pretty much this. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"