Star Wars Question

Like Leia claiming to have known her mother in Return of the Jedi and Lucas killing her off right after she was born?

The REALLY embarrassing part of that is the way fans over at Theforce.net will try to justify it.

she was talking about the woman who adopted her

she was talking about the woman who adopted her

Luke: Do you remember your mother? Your real one...?

That is the question Luke asks her. Leia is aware she was adopted and speaks of her REAL mother to Luke.

Yes, that is one of the "problems" that isn't a problem at all.
If you got 40 old Nintendo consoles, and one of them was the exact model I used to play on as a kid, I would not recognize mine.

Droids are just talking tools to the Star Wars people. There's R2-like units, there're protocol droids, etc. We just got to think of 2 of the droids as characters over the course of 6 movies, etc. But there are thousands of other R2 units that look and sound exactly like our R2D2.

There are way more egregious problems, like Matt mentioned about Leia remembering her mother was sad.

One way it could possibly not be impossible is if the young Leia was shown holograms of her real mother, when she was young...maybe a picture where she looked sad...but then why would they suddenly stop showing them when Leia was a teenager and why wouldn't she have a cherished one she kept?

A tfn Loser would say, "UMmMm....'cause....something happened when Leia was young, like, her family had to flee some palace and there stuff got destroyed in a battle...or...something."

So how do you get a scenario where Padme is still alive and somehow agrees to both of her children being separated? Well, it takes some thought, but it can be done, and G. Luc took the lazy way out.
He didn't even have the brains to have a REASON she died during childbirth, which would've been simplicity itself....she got injured, whether by Anakin or in action, and so died due to complications. Happens everyday in real life.

Here's a question. How come in ANH, Owen doesn't recognize C3PO when he owned him for like 9 years? You could say "He didn't say his name in ANH and he wasn't Gold in AOTC" Bs, he'd know. What gives?

I guess you're scared of reading 'cause I just amswered that in the post directly above yours. :o

I guess you're scared of reading 'cause I just amswered that in the post directly above yours. :o

I'd agree with your point on droids if it weren't for two things:

1) Owen owned C-3P0 for Nine years. And it is not as if there were hundreds of droids walking around his farm. C-3P0 was the only one there.

2) They may be tools, but they do seem to have personalities of their own, voices of their own, etc. I'd see it more as a pet than a tool. R2 is arguable as R2 units do not have a distinct voice and are unable to communicate directly...however C-3P0 is a whole different story.

I think adding R2 and 3P0 to the prequels when they are unneccessary is just lazy on Lucas' part. It is a way to have characters who do not need any establishment and can attract audiences on their own. Lucas didn't care that they didn't fit into the continuity. It was just lazy. And it would be one thing if they added something to the story...but name one thing in the prequels that the droids did that was really necessary to the plot. The only thing that comes close is R2 fixing the queen's ship, but even that wasn't necessary.

i tend to agree with wilhelms rationale ..there are tons of inconsistencies.. and you have to pick and chose your battles... there theories and rationale for some and for others you just gotta say WTF!....

for leia... correct me if im wrong.. but was it implied that leia KNEW she was adopted?? when luke asks about HER REAL mother.... and she doesnt yet know shes been adopted.. her REAL mother in her eyes would be her adopted mother....

secondly.. threepio has his mind wiped at the end of ROTS... he wouldnt recognize OWEN like you said matt differnt armor plating and no recollection of the area and was programmed for IMPERIAL ETIQUETTE which means different mannerisms although in all honestly he was just as wussy in all the movies.... but same voice doesnt mean same droid . but one can certainly argue that when he did come across him he would have that "do i know you?" look on his face when he hears him again....

like i said i dont disagree(im not that naive though i am a fanboy i like to tell it like it is) that Lucas effed up big..i love continuity and details.. and lucas did drop the ball...:cmad:

I really think to Owen it's just like if I had a shovel in the shed for 9 years, and then later, someone had painted the handle and sharpened it and polished the wood...I wouldn't recognize it.

They're just special characters to us 'cause we follow them on their adventures, and G.Luc imbued them with extra personality for reasons of story-telling.
I don't think they somehow magically "became real boys" like Pinnochio.
Whenever you see another protocol droid, they look the same and have a similar voice and mannerisms.

I really find more offensively stupid, things like, He created Boba Fett just as a throw away character, designed to get Han's body to Jabba. That's why he did/said so little and died so lamely.

But I've heard him say with his own mouth that Boba Fett never had any real significance to him, but AFTER he saw what a fan favorite he was, he decided to try and work him into the prequels, as the son of the "father" of the entire Imperial army. :whatever:

That's not the cool way to develop a story. It's embarrassing, akin to what people call "selling out" or "pandering".

The original GOOD movies were great because they didn't pander.

Stuff like, just jumping in on episode 4 from the start, with Leia being chased by a giant ship, and expecting YOU to have the brains to follow along and get accustomed to this new world.

And having the great, fabled Jedi bad-ass be a tiny green old man who waddles around scrounging candy bars.

i tend to agree with wilhelms rationale ..there are tons of inconsistencies.. and you have to pick and chose your battles... there theories and rationale for some and for others you just gotta say WTF!....

for leia... correct me if im wrong.. but was it implied that leia KNEW she was adopted?? when luke asks about HER REAL mother.... and she doesnt yet know shes been adopted.. her REAL mother in her eyes would be her adopted mother....

Luke's dialogue implies otherwise. Luke wouldn't say "Did you know your mother...Your real mother, I mean" unless he knew and Leia knew she was adopted.

I really think to Owen it's just like if I had a shovel in the shed for 9 years, and then later, someone had painted the handle and sharpened it and polished the wood...I wouldn't recognize it.

They're just special characters to us 'cause we follow them on their adventures, and G.Luc imbued them with extra personality for reasons of story-telling.
I don't think they somehow magically "became real boys" like Pinnochio.
Whenever you see another protocol droid, they look the same and have a similar voice and mannerisms.

I really find more offensively stupid, things like, He created Boba Fett just as a throw away character, designed to get Han's body to Jabba. That's why he did/said so little and died so lamely.

But I've heard him say with his own mouth that Boba Fett never had any real significance to him, but AFTER he saw what a fan favorite he was, he decided to try and work him into the prequels, as the son of the "father" of the entire Imperial army. :whatever:

That's not the cool way to develop a story. It's embarrassing, akin to what people call "selling out" or "pandering".

The original GOOD movies were great because they didn't pander.

Stuff like, just jumping in on episode 4 from the start, with Leia being chased by a giant ship, and expecting YOU to have the brains to follow along and get accustomed to this new world.

And having the great, fabled Jedi bad-ass be a tiny green old man who waddles around scrounging candy bars.

I concede how the droids COULD go unnoticed. My point is it was stupid to include them to begin with. It is just like you said, pandering.

and Oooooh, Darth VADER BUILT 3PO! :eek:
So every time 3PO says "Thank the maker.", he's really thanking darth VADER. :eek:
WTF was that? lol
That's like fan fiction from an 8 year old. lol
w0rse

So every time 3PO says "Thank the maker.", he's really thanking darth VADER. :eek:
WTF was that? lol
w0rse

That was crap. Lucas decided, "Hey, for the prequels, I'll just have all the characters are linked to each other."

Thus, Yoda and Chewy are best pals, Anakin built Threepio, Artoo hung around with Anakin as he did Luke, and Han Solo used to mow the Emperor's lawn.

WTF was that? lol
w0rse

That was crap. Lucas decided, "Hey, for the prequels, I'll just have all the characters are linked to each other in pointless and suspension-of-disbelief-threatening ways."

Thus, Yoda and Chewy are best pals, Anakin built Threepio, Artoo hung around with Anakin as he did Luke, and Han Solo used to mow the Emperor's lawn.*

*Not a euphamisn

Well, you have to remember that Sith were once exiled Dark Jedi on the planet Korriban, and Dark Jedi were once...yep, you guessed it, Jedi. I mean, I guess it would make sense for them to detach and renounce themselves from all things Jedi and never touch a lightsaber again, but I suppose they figure "hey, why should we be the ones to stop using these uber-cool laser swords?"

No, no, no.....forget the spin-off media. The only proper Star Wars is Star Wars, is the six films. They are a complete work in and of themselves. Not to say the books and comics are not worthwhile (especially to Lucas' bank account), but they have to be aknowledged for what they are. And the films themselves say nothing about the origins of the Sith or the Jedi.

Roegelle's usually the man, but you're wrong about the crawl.
It's perfectly normal for a first film to start with background.

For instance, the very begining of Fellowship of the Ring.

Or, how the very begining of the very first Buck Rogers episode says:

"The year is 1987 and NASA launches the last of America's deep space probes. In a freak mishap Ranger 3 and its pilot, Captain William 'Buck' Rogers, are blown out of their trajectory into an orbit which freezes his life support systems and returns Buck Rogers to Earth 500 years later."

TPM was just telling you who these goons in brown bathrobes were and why they were about to be sneaking around a ship and fighting harmless robots, etc.

FotR and Buck Rogers are not saturday matinee serials. Look at King of the Rocketmen or Flash Gordon, that was what Lucas was doing. And they don't have crawls over their first episode.

I may be alone in this, and truth be told it's not especially important anyway. But by adding the crawl to Episode I, Lucas was using Star Wars traditions, whereas I would have applauded him for remembering the matinee style he wanted for the original films and dropped the crawl. Everybody else would have gone, "Huh?" but I'd have applauded.

Also, imagine watching TPM without the crawl. Does it make any difference? No. The first five minutes of the film explain what is going on. The Jedi discuss between themselves what they are there for, and the Trade Federation talk to both Queen Amidala and Darth Sidious in the first five minutes. It's all very clear, perfect for the seven year old audience Lucas wanted.

I didn't know if you freeze the scene where Vader tosses the Emperor to his death, at just the right spot, you can see Vader's skeleton..?

dvbones02.jpg

^If that skeleton showed his arms and legs we could all yell "pl0t h0l3"

Coolness.
I love threads that diss the terrible prequels. :up:

Why does Palpatine look scaly and old in ROTJ but looks scarred in ROTS?

Why does Palpatine look scaly and old in ROTJ but looks scarred in ROTS?
Read Star Wars: Visionaries.
It shows how Palpatine stays young after 100's of years.
I imagine it would have and effect on the scars that gave him the scaly appearance.

Parts are. The Clone Wars TV series, novels, and comics are. This story takes place during the Clone wars.

George Lucas needs to either lose some weight or lose that beard. I can't stand looking at it. Right under his beard is a big slab of fat, it's pretty disturbing.

lucasgeorge_cp_6352586.jpg

George%20Lucas%20Caricature.jpg

He needs to hit that can of slim fast and quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"