The Bad Batch Star Wars: The Bad Batch - Animated Series Coming to Disney+ in 2021

I might skip this season after the generic, boring, slow-paced kid friendly mess that S1 was.

I expected something similar to the greatness of TCW but got something far worse.

Might still check the Palpatine/Empire bits.

I might skip this season after the generic, boring, slow-paced kid friendly mess that S1 was.

I expected something similar to the greatness of TCW but got something far worse.

Might still check the Palpatine/Empire bits.
So I'm clear. You've have watched TCW, but found the Bad Batch too kid friendly in comparison? Did you like, only watch very specific episodes of TCW?

Bad Batch is high end TCW material.

Aftermath, Cut and Run, Reunion, Devil's Deal, Rescue on Ryloth, Return to Kamino, and Kamino Lost are top tier Star Wars in my book. After continual disappointment from live action Star Wars TV, I've got high hopes.

Aftermath, Cut and Run, Reunion, Devil's Deal, Rescue on Ryloth, Return to Kamino, and Kamino Lost are top tier Star Wars in my book. After continual disappointment from live action Star Wars TV, I've got high hopes.

I furiously binged Clone Wars prior to Bad Batch's premiere, and season one of BB stands up there with the top 10% of Clone Wars episodes. I think it's been so long, that some people forget a lot of what happened in Clone Wars. They remember the highs (as they should), but the lows have faded away. Clone Wars at its peak is still the upper echelon, no doubt, but Bad Batch was impressively consistent in its quality. Some may have issues with its episodic nature at points, but that's a different story.

They are bringing back a character from a very kiddy arc of the Clone Wars.

Admitidly, still 50/50 whether they kill him or not...

I furiously binged Clone Wars prior to Bad Batch's premiere, and season one of BB stands up there with the top 10% of Clone Wars episodes. I think it's been so long, that some people forget a lot of what happened in Clone Wars. They remember the highs (as they should), but the lows have faded away. Clone Wars at its peak is still the upper echelon, no doubt, but Bad Batch was impressively consistent in its quality. Some may have issues with its episodic nature at points, but that's a different story.
Yeah, I can get it not being someone's thing, but while Clone Wars is the show with the Siege of Mandalore, Mauldalore, Ahsoka on the run, Yoda and the force, and others, it's also the show with D-Squad, the Younglings, The Gungan General, and the one where the gungans pistol whip Grievous. And that's not saying anything about quality, I actually like every episode I just listed, but tonal consistency is not Clone Wars' strong suit. One week, R2 and 3PO reenact The Wizard of Oz and Gulliver's Travels, the very next week we dive into the Krell arc.

So I'm clear. You've have watched TCW, but found the Bad Batch too kid friendly in comparison? Did you like, only watch very specific episodes of TCW?

That scene where Crosshair and the new recruits gunned down a bunch of civilians was the most kid friendly SW moment in years. :o

Yes, I've seen the entirety of TCW and while it has some filler, the majority of has a purpose and is focused on characters from the prequels and stories that have relevance to the saga. It has it's fair share amount of filler episodes, but they are far in-between and the show never loses track of its purpose or what it wants to achieve. When it gets good, it gets really good.

90% of The Bad Batch is "Huntah!", Omega being captured and having to escape with their help and the Batch doing side missions from Cid. And there never comes a truly great moment to compensate for these.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen the entirety of TCW and while it has some filler, the majority of has a purpose and is focused on characters from the prequels and stories that have relevance to the saga. It has it's fair share amount of filler episodes, but they are far in-between and the show never loses track of its purpose or what it wants to achieve. When it gets good, it gets really good.

90% of The Bad Batch is "Huntah!", Omega being captured and having to escape with their help and the Batch doing side missions from Cid. And there never comes a truly great moment to compensate for these.
I love TCW. It had no direction until part way through season 3, and even then it tenuous to say it has a "purpose" or a "goal" until the end of season 5. Which was the end of it's regular run as a show. Nearly all the major character and arc stuff for Ahsoka, Anakin, and Ventress never made it to screen. Even Ahsoka's walkabout was truncated do to coming in the "final" season.

Overall, TCW is a fun action romp like the best of Star Wars, that at times delves deeper into things like the cost of war, the identity of the clones, and Anakin's rage issues, but not to a degree that you can say it isn't full of "kiddy" stuff. They have an entire arc about Jedi younglings, Jar Jar doing Jar Jar things, D squad, and pretty much all Ahsoka focused episodes pre-season 4, which are very much "kiddy" affair. I'm not complaining, I love a ton of it (so cool to see my wookie Jedi buddy coming back). But to say the Bad Batch stands out as, "kiddy" in comparison. And that's just not true.

Crosshair is legit the "darkest timeline" for the clones. An admitted murderer, who likes it and his brothers having to deal with what to do with him. The series starts with the scarring of Kanan and the fallout of being turned into a murder machine.

You don't have to like the Bad Batch and TCW got darker as it went on, but your assessment of what is kiddy and what isn't, just doesn't hold up to any sort of muster.

Some of the best animated series had content that was "kiddy".

Now, Bad Batch is a lot more episodic than what Clone Wars eventually evolved into. And really, thank god for that. Some plots really didn't need 4 episodes.

Don't like Bad Batch, fine. But thinking its more kiddy than Clone Wars is just a weird complaint.

People have criticized the filler aspect of Bad Batch, but after Rebels, I would not be surprised if almost every single one of those episodes ends up being relevant to the larger plot further down the line.

People have criticized the filler aspect of Bad Batch, but after Rebels, I would not be surprised if almost every single one of those episodes ends up being relevant to the larger plot further down the line.

Yeah, I think sometimes people confuse episodic television with "filler". There doesn't need to be a constant plotline that advances with each episode. In this case, the growth comes in the form of the characters. You look at a show like Star Trek: The next Generation. Pretty much every episode was self-contained. But the characters grew and evolved over time, through the events of each episode. That was the progress that was made. It feels like we've lost that kind of television in an era of binging and seasons being dropped all at once.

Some of the best animated series had content that was "kiddy".

Now, Bad Batch is a lot more episodic than what Clone Wars eventually evolved into. And really, thank god for that. Some plots really didn't need 4 episodes.

Don't like Bad Batch, fine. But thinking its more kiddy than Clone Wars is just a weird complaint.
Yeah, the more episodic structure has upsides and downsides too. My second worst episode in TBB season 1 is Common Ground, but the thing about Common Ground is at least it didn't make me sit through it for 90 minutes like the Onderon arc.

Yeah, I think sometimes people confuse episodic television with "filler". There doesn't need to be a constant plotline that advances with each episode. In this case, the growth comes in the form of the characters. You look at a show like Star Trek: The next Generation. Pretty much every episode was self-contained. But the characters grew and evolved over time, through the events of each episode. That was the progress that was made. It feels like we've lost that kind of television in an era of binging and seasons being dropped all at once.
They also confuse "filler" with "bad". X-Files would be a terrible show if you removed all the filler. Not all episodes have to be about character progression and/or season long plots.

They also confuse "filler" with "bad". X-Files would be a terrible show if you removed all the filler. Not all episodes have to be about character progression and/or season long plots.

Yeah, that's true. Every show could use a beach episode now and then.

Yeah, that's true. Every show could use a beach episode now and then.

Even structured arc-based shows need "beach episodes", IMO. What too many people call "filler", I call "breaks in the momentum of the story to allow proper pacing". Stand-alone side stories don't just let you explore aspects of your characters and world that the main plot doesn't, they also let you relax the tension, so its not all Full Ahead Forward all the time. And Full Ahead Forward All The Time is almost never good pacing, the audience needs time to breath, relax, and consolidate their thoughts and responses.

The problem with this show's filler is that it is bad, ruins the season's pace, and leaves the main season arc feeling like an after thought. They should have made the season longer with more main arc episodes, or cut the filler down.

Zaslav took over Disney too? :o

If it's delayed that's probably all it is. I don't think it's in any danger of being cancelled.

want-it-i-want-it.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"