Step-Up 2: The Streets

Interesting indeed.

So... I like Dance movies, even though they almost always suck... because they're always actors trying to dance.

In the case of Happy Feet, the last good dance movie I remember, Savion Glover, a real dancer, did the dance moves. Done.

Now, that said, the dancing in this movie looks loads and loads better than everything I can remember... that's the problem with dance movies... I love dancing, but they're not nearly as good as they could be... well, except may be Stomp the Yard and Happy Feet...

It looks like this time, instead of piling everything onto a single Choreographer who runs out of steam on a huge project, they've got two or three great guys, and a very good dancing lead.

The thing I acutally hate about these movies are the contrived storylines... and horrid love interests, Channnig Tatum notwithstanding. The bad acting, meh, it's not all that bad in movies like Happy Feet and Stomp the Yard.

I completely agree, but I actually saw a preview of this movie last night b/c my friend had some passes and honestly, the dancing stole the entire show. If you are going for the dancing and that aspect of entertainment, then be sure not to miss this movie. The moves were incredible. I would say it was 85% dancing and only 15% acting, which IMO is perfectly fine. It doesn't hurt that all the actors are attractive too...

So are arguments really solved West Side Story style nowadays? Really? People get in an argument and have a dance off to decide the winner? Cause if that's the case, that's really f'ing sad.

Interesting indeed.

So... I like Dance movies, even though they almost always suck... because they're always actors trying to dance.

In the case of Happy Feet, the last good dance movie I remember, Savion Glover, a real dancer, did the dance moves. Done.

Now, that said, the dancing in this movie looks loads and loads better than everything I can remember... that's the problem with dance movies... I love dancing, but they're not nearly as good as they could be... well, except may be Stomp the Yard and Happy Feet...

It looks like this time, instead of piling everything onto a single Choreographer who runs out of steam on a huge project, they've got two or three great guys, and a very good dancing lead.

The thing I acutally hate about these movies are the contrived storylines... and horrid love interests, Channnig Tatum notwithstanding. The bad acting, meh, it's not all that bad in movies like Happy Feet and Stomp the Yard.

The problem with this, I think, is largely due to the fact that they don't really get any talent to write the screenplays. "Happy Feet" actually had some really good writers under its belt, who'd had experience in how to craft a film (see: The Road Warrior). So, they took the best approach, and didn't write it to be just a 'dance' movie.

You won't find many other examples of this, but "White Nights," from the eighties, is great as well. Look it up. It's a great film.

Now, "Stomp The Yard" I haven't seen yet, but it looks like it could be okay.

So are arguments really solved West Side Story style nowadays? Really? People get in an argument and have a dance off to decide the winner? Cause if that's the case, that's really f'ing sad.

"Yo' mama!"

"**** you, foo'. Yo' mama!"

"You know what -

headstand.jpg

- Now how ye' gonna act?"

:woot:

I miss those 80's hip hop movies; Like Beat Street and Krush Groove.

So is this actually coming to theatres because it looks like typical DTV sequel quality.

So is this actually coming to theatres because it looks like typical DTV sequel quality.

Except the chick in this movie is hotter. Heck, I couldn't even remember the trailer to the first Step Up! I had to look it up recently on YouTube. And it seems like the only thing the two movies share is the title.

Step Up
[YT]FEJHfq12m44[/YT]

Step Up 2
[YT]vngJ1pWXYnU[/YT]

See.

Numb music video
[YT]onIxLk0RQeM[/YT]

:heart:

The only way I would see this movie is if the hot brunette (briana evigan) called me up and asked me out on a date to see her film. And so basically I would go because Briana would verbally state this is a "date" and she is "interested in me" and the promise of accompanying her to her new film, "Step Up 2: Step Harder" or whatever it's called, could then lead to future dates with her and/or extra "fun" after the movie is over at her place.

Until that day...

I will never see this film. I have ZERO fascination with dancing, and I hate how the trailer makes the people in this movie seem OOZING WITH COOLNESS because they know how to shake their butt. Oh get a life....

Greg

I'm sad to say that not only did I just finish watching the movie a little while ago... it was actually rather entertaining.

Don't worry guys. I didn't pay for it.

Step up, u got served, stomp the yard are all fake poser dancers. This March 21st a new dance movie is set to come out. But this is REAL dancers. Its a documentary about the subculture of Bboying. Movie is called "Planet B-Boy" It tells the story of Battle Of the Year. Check out "Planet B-Boy" on youtube. Its REAL bboys from All around the world. Its not a fake dancing s*** u see in Stomp the Yard.

I'm sad to say that not only did I just finish watching the movie a little while ago... it was actually rather entertaining.

Don't worry guys. I didn't pay for it.

You danced in the aisle and shouted, "you GO, girl!" whenever the female protagnist bested her snotty rival.

Step up, u got served, stomp the yard are all fake poser dancers. This March 21st a new dance movie is set to come out. But this is REAL dancers. Its a documentary about the subculture of Bboying. Movie is called "Planet B-Boy" It tells the story of Battle Of the Year. Check out "Planet B-Boy" on youtube. Its REAL bboys from All around the world. Its not a fake dancing s*** u see in Stomp the Yard.

Wow, finally, a real documentary!

Because the Documentary on Crunk dancing wasn't as real and entertaining. :rolleyes:

ZING!!!

Thank you for that. Because insulting something else is the best way to promote a product. I have no problem enjoying both.

I will never see this film. I have ZERO fascination with dancing, and I hate how the trailer makes the people in this movie seem OOZING WITH COOLNESS because they know how to shake their butt. Oh get a life....

Like whatever you want, but it's hypocritical for a comic book fan to accuse a dancer of wasting their life...

Regardless...

GL1 Review of Step Up 2 The Streets

Well, let me first tell you that it's better than the first one, if that means anything. I'll follow that up with the fact that it does have the best dance moves of recent dance movie memory.

But let's be honest, it is a dance movie. As such it carries all the contrivances in storytelling, all the deficient one-and-a-half threats, and all the ridiculous substitutions of choreography for freestyle dancing that we've come to expect from these posh-to-ghetto dance films. It's as though someone was dissatisfied with the balance between storytelling and dancing in say, Stomp The Yard, decided that all that storytelling was hogwash and heartfelt heritage pumping was garbage, and a 90-minute music video was a better idea. They did try to hearken back to the good old days of B-boy culture, however, it was more than drowned out by the slavish adherence to suburban-to-urban myth.

And so you've got six or seven very talented dancers doing what they do best, and when they're free to do their thing they shine. The freestyling scenes are as compelling as anything ever seen, but suddenly the movie makers take on immensely boar-fisted tactics of trying to turn Hip-Hop into line dancing and it feels... hollow. Weak. Soft. Lifeless. Soulless. What an incredible indictment to a movie who, equally ham-fisted, attempts to promote dance as a means of self expression while simultaneously forcing groups into narrow molds of symmetry.

But for just a few moments, these incredible dancers are allowed to just do their thing, and seeing it, is a wonderful experience for anyone who appreciates the art of the human body in motion. The credits, where each dancer is free to just be themselves, are as entertaining as any scene in the film, certainly more than the absurd love-pentagon. Ab-Surd.

3 stars out of 5.

I watched it yesterday and actually enjoyed it a lot. It was the first dance movie I'd seen in theaters and I wouldn't mind seeing more after that. Good dancing, attractive cast. All I really needed. Though the comic-relief asian girl was a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"