• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Stephen King's Epic "The Dark Tower" - Part 2

just curious, but did the books feature the modern "real" world ( with the characters going back and forth ) as shown in the trailer?

Two of them:

A heroin addict and drug runner for the mob

A schizophrehic civil rights activists

And later: a priest whose confrontation with evil sent him into a crisis of faith.

Some artwork from the novels:

7dxnkcA.jpg

gUM34v7.jpg

0uUKqOY.jpg

L8TDbf5.jpg

e6fU25M.jpg

To give anyone who hasn't read the novels an idea of the visual style.

Last edited:
Yep. Which is exactly why I don't understand the argument that if it looked more like a Western it would be considered generic. This looks about as generic as you can get now.

Exactly. I simply can't believe they have chosen to give us what they have. Then I see Sony making it and can believe it.

Two of them:

A heroin addict and drug runner for the mob

A schizophrehic civil rights activists

And later: a priest whose confrontation with evil sent him into a crisis of faith.

Some artwork from the novels:

7dxnkcA.jpg

gUM34v7.jpg

0uUKqOY.jpg

L8TDbf5.jpg

e6fU25M.jpg

To give anyone who hasn't read the novels an idea of the visual style.

hey, thanks!

Exactly. I simply can't believe they have chosen to give us what they have. Then I see Sony making it and can believe it.

Do not worry. Sony's grand plan is to include Venom in it, one of these days.

all leading up to that shared Dark Tower / Sinister Six shared universe crossover mega event, y'know. :o

Roland is secretly a code name used by a time traveling future version of Miles Morales.

Sony almost seems to be anti money, that's how bad they are at making money. It's almost like they're trying to lose money.

Do not worry. Sony's grand plan is to include Venom in it, one of these days.

all leading up to that shared Dark Tower / Sinister Six shared universe crossover mega event, y'know. :o

Don't forget the Jump Street/Men in Black shared universe that everyone is clamouring for! :o

That Jump Street/Men in Black thing is the weirdest idea I've ever heard.

For comparison...

The Dark Tower
C-6DqPZW0AAJ8IW.jpg
Westworld - "The Well-Tempered Clavier"
C-6DoWQWAAEUk1y.jpg
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
C-6Dm_PWAAEwu30.jpg

if anyone has read entirely through the Dark Tower series it stands to reason that this film is

another go round for Roland to reach the Tower

if anyone has read entirely through the Dark Tower series it stands to reason that this film is

another go round for Roland to reach the Tower
And one that should have never been made by the looks of it.

I would disagree

but the "purists" are always right around here so.....
I am not a "purist". For one, I love "The Fellowship of the Ring" and that movie changed plenty. Same for Two Towers and the entire Harry Potter series. GoT is one of my favorite television shows ever, and anyone who has read the books would know how "different" many aspects are.

What I do care about is a movie that doesn't look like warmed over common crap released all the time these days. And that is how this looks imo. They threw out the core of the story and made it look sickly generic.

Finally watched the trailer. I bought the first book at an airport years ago but never read it.

This doesn't look generic to me. But I'm not sure if I'm on board. Can't place why but it doesn't excite me enough

For Elba's sake I hope it works out.

I feel like Elba keeps getting screwed out of breaking out as a major movie star. Pacific Rim was a disappointment. Then he had the misfortune of starring in an action movie called "Bastille Day", which was about a terrorist attack on Bastille Day but it got delayed and more or less swept under the rug due to an actual terrorist attack on Bastille Day. And now he's going to be in this, which looks like a bomb.

I'd make the argument that Elba shouldn't have been cast as Roland in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited:
So I read the first book last year and I enjoyed it, but didn't fall in love with the whole story. Maybe I'll pick up book two at some point later.

I'm relieved to see that other people are saying this looks like just another action movie because I thought I might have been missing something.

I feel like Elba keeps getting screwed out of breaking out as a major movie star. Pacific Rim was a disappointment. Then he had the misfortune of starring in an action movie called "Bastille Day", which was about a terrorist attack on Bastille Day but it got delayed and more or less swept under the rug due to an actual terrorist attack on Bastille Day. And now he's going to be in this, which looks like a bomb.

His villain role in Star Trek Beyond was pretty crud too. Not entirely his fault, but his performance wasn't anything special.

I'd make the argument that Elba shouldn't have been cast as Roland in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.

He certainly looks too buff / clean / handsome to be a convincing Roland. I could give two ****s about what colour skin the guy has, but Roland should look worn down, skinny, and rough. Elba looks too clean, strong and fresh in this. The all over leather Matrix look is crap as well. The guy should look threadbare, not super-cool. The world is supposed to have moved on, and Roland is supposed to have been tracking Walter for many, many miles across harsh terrain. Its one of the main reasons I have deep reservations about this whole adaptation. They've made Roland a full blown HERO, when he shouldn't be anything of the sort.

His villain role in Star Trek Beyond was pretty crud too. Not entirely his fault, but his performance wasn't anything special.

Yeah. I had completely forgotten he was in that, lol.

He certainly looks too buff / clean / handsome to be a convincing Roland. I could give two ****s about what colour skin the guy has, but Roland should look worn down, skinny, and rough. Elba looks too clean, strong and fresh in this. The all over leather Matrix look is crap as well. The guy should look threadbare, not super-cool. The world is supposed to have moved on, and Roland is supposed to have been tracking Walter for many, many miles across harsh terrain. Its one of the main reasons I have deep reservations about this whole adaptation. They've made Roland a full blown HERO, when he shouldn't be anything of the sort.

Should have been Viggo Mortensen...

So I read the first book last year and I enjoyed it, but didn't fall in love with the whole story. Maybe I'll pick up book two at some point later.

I'm relieved to see that other people are saying this looks like just another action movie because I thought I might have been missing something.

Just speaking about the books here, but I thought the first book was pretty rubbish. It took me years to pick up the 2nd book because of that, but once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed the series.

I actually liked him as Krall. I actually really like Elba as an actor, he is a favourite of mine, but he is just all wrong for Roland. He was the best thing in the trailer, but that's not saying much.

Finally watched the trailer. I bought the first book at an airport years ago but never read it.

This doesn't look generic to me. But I'm not sure if I'm on board. Can't place why but it doesn't excite me enough

For Elba's sake I hope it works out.

Read The Gunslinger. It's a quick read and you'll know what we're gonna miss out on when this sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"