Stephen King's "IT" Part I and Part II

He does kind of look like Tobey.

That being said, "No thanks" to Tobey. :o

He does kind of look like Tobey.

That being said, "No thanks" to Tobey. :o

giphy.gif

I'd love to be a fly on the wall on the set if Jessica Chastain and Tobey Maguire are in the same movie together. Because if you've seen how Tobey is portrayed in Molly's Game... it's not good.

I haven't seen it yet, but he was the basis for Michael Cera's character, yes?

Yes, Tobey is apparently, quite a vicious mess in personal life :funny:

Anyone else think Skarsgard was a little over the top? In a forced way.

Anyone else think Skarsgard was a little over the top? In a forced way.

Considering the guy is playing a shapeshifting ancient interdimensional being that primarily manifests as a child eating clown, I'm gonna say no. Pennywise/It isn't human, he shouldn't act like a human. He's supposed to be very 'over the top' and surreal in appearance and characterisation. I think Skarsgard did an awesome job, I can't wait to see what he does in part 2.

I see that someone fancast Johnny Galeki as adult Stan in the previous thread and I just have to say that I think that's a terrible idea, isn't Wyatt Oleff already taller than him? :oldrazz:

Thought Skarsgard was great personally, if anything I wanted more of him in the movie.

Ok. I actually really enjoyed the movie and would put it top 5 of last year, but that criticism was just small not an issue with his performance. Just thought it was ok. Not that great. The projector scene too. That was one of the worst acted scenes I've seen. Just a lot of yelling and bad at acting scared.

Considering the guy is playing a shapeshifting ancient interdimensional being that primarily manifests as a child eating clown, I'm gonna say no. Pennywise/It isn't human, he shouldn't act like a human. He's supposed to be very 'over the top' and surreal in appearance and characterisation. I think Skarsgard did an awesome job, I can't wait to see what he does in part 2.

I see that someone fancast Johnny Galeki as adult Stan in the previous thread and I just have to say that I think that's a terrible idea, isn't Wyatt Oleff already taller than him? :oldrazz:

Yeah, I loved Skarsgard's work. My issue was that it was edited too tightly and shot with too jittery of a handheld camera. Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't find that stuff "scary," more distracting. What Skarsgard was doing was actually eerie, so I would have liked it if the camera and editing held still long enough for viewers to fully suck it all in.

This movie wasn't really scary. It relied too much on jump scares than the dread. The one place it was done well was the book flipping scene. The scary stuff was the least interesting stuff in this movie. Skaarsgard was great though.

I think what ruins the scares is the overuse of the score instead of letting the ambience set in, which I hope is something Muschietti utilizes more in Chapter 2.

Really enjoyed this my first time around but I was mildly underwhelmed on my second viewing. I still quite enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies, but it felt rather choppy and the overt use of CG and jump scares kind of dulls the experience.

The rapid succession of scenes in which Pennywise scares each individual kid and just end the scene towards the camera is certainly tiresome the second time through. Just very repetitive. They definitely needed to restructure that or change up what he does. They could have made some of them much less explicit. The creepy librarian that you can easily miss in Ben's scene while he's looking at the scrap book was quality on its own. Mike's scene in the meat warehouse works because it ends differently than the others.

Muschietti just doesn't quite have the craft for those kinds of the scenes that someone like James Wan has.

I loved the movie. I do wish certain things had not been cut from the adaption and even if its not a 100 % translation I can enjoy it on its own merits alongside the book. Certain scenes that had no impact whatsoever the first time round suddenly worked the second. I even jumped more the second time even knowing what was coming. I also think that to dismiss it as only loud noises and jumpscares does a disservice to all the other creepy moments in the film. Scenes like the storm drain, the meat locker, rabbi's office, leper and basement scene all felt like they were more focused on giving a nightmarish quality to them. It was more about the imagery. The library scene is one of my favorite new additions, that had so much going on in terms of the horror (the images in the book, the librarian, the lure then the chase and the jump). In any event I could easily argue that The Shape was forever popping up out of the darkness in Halloween accompanied by a loud score. Freddy Krueger literally jumps out several times in the original Elm Street movie and Hellraiser had a good few jumps in it. the IT miniseries also had its jumpscares. People complain that Pennywise 2017 was like 90% running at the camera which did happen a lot but then you could say that the majority of Pennywise 1990 was flashing his fangs at the screen. Most horror villains are repetitive in what they do. Back to the movie i think that the encounters could have been spaced out rather than having them literally one after another and I don't blame those who view it as a collection of set pieces. That said I do admire the decision in some respects. The film has a lot to get through and set up after all. I'm hopeful that upcoming director's cut should put some criticisms to rest. I do hope there's more to it than just the deleted scenes put back in. We'll see what the future brings but for now this Pennywise is one of my favourite horror villains ever. I just love all of the aspects such as the twitchy mannerisms, the high pitched voice, the eyes and the way it plays with its food. I will forever love Tim's iconic take but Skarsgard felt more in line with the book Pennywise for me who was very savage and did not play up that "friendly clown" persona that many claim he does.

Last edited:
Very excited and happy to know that Funko Pop now has the 7 losers and Georgie Pop figures. And new Pennywise Pop figures.

Hopefully, they can add the Bowers gang too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"