Stephen King's "IT" Part I and Part II

Nah. He is amazing during talk shows, he just hates press junkets because they are sitting there for hours. I watched every interview and his story about "graphic sex scene with mcAvoy" was the funniest thing that happened this whole pres tour, WB publicist actually facepalmed :lmao:

I had been mega hyped about this movie ever since Chapter One which I loved. I loved the previews for the movie and I took time off work on Friday and had tickets to see twice that day.

When I came out from the afternoon i was totally conflicted. There were plenty of moments within the movie I thought were great but as an overall feeling I wasn't all that sure I liked it. There was nothing I could specifically pin down. I had no problems with the run time, it flew by. It contained just about everything that I wanted from an adaptation of the book and I liked the performances. But with all those ingredients it just didn't taste right and I was (i hate to say) strongly considering not bothering to see the evening showing.

However, I decided I would see it again and be honest about how I felt. I was not going to force myself to like it simply because I wanted to like it. So I saw it the second time and loved it. I still have my gripes about certain scenes but it was very emotional and was fighting back tears at the end. I still think Chapter One is my favorite but I will be seeing the new movie again hopefully this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. Bring on that super cut.

Basically you're being asked the same questions over and over but you're pretty much contracted to do it unless you have some emergency.
Yeap and most of these interviewers ask either the same dumb question over and over again or try to be cute and make the celebrities do something stupid to get attention for the interview.

Over 200M domestic for a 3 hour horror sequel that cost 60M is not good? Huh? What world?

Yes, it’s lower than the first, but the first was a phenomenon with the most famous bits from the book people remembered.

Any way you look at it, this is still a big success. Just not the phenom the first was.
It is a question of the profits for a third film. They could do it for super cheap of course, but that would also hurt profits in general. The draw of the material won't necessarily be there as they finished the book, especially as the second part of the "official" story has slipped so much. It would be a question of they think people overseas will come out. Because they aren't going to spend another 150m-160m to make, distribute and market a series with such high diminishing returns. A third film that did around 100m domestically on such a price tag would not go over very well. Heck, if it cost 100m overall, it still wouldn't be great.

He took his life to protect his friends and that is brave regardless of his wife's heartbreak. That being said, I do think since they were changing his motivation they should have changed how he killed himself. He should have either done it in the car outside a police station so they could find him quickly and inform his wife, or he should have overdosed on sleeping pills. It wouldnt have totally eliminated his wife's heartbreak but it would have been less traumatizing than her breaking into the bathroom and finding him with his wrists open and blood all over the bathroom floor.

I’m still trying to get my head around how Stan killing himself in any way protected The Losers, or helped them fight IT? It’s been a couple of weeks since I saw the movie, and I can’t for the life of me think how it helped them in any logical way.

Stan’s suicide in the book was a marvellous way of putting IT over as a villain (to use wrestling terminology). What better way of highlighting just how horrific a villain is than by having someone kill themselves just to avoid having to confront it again? It also hugely raised the stakes for the second confrontation, because the Losers were no longer seven strong.... though the films don’t really get into the spiritual side of the story (power of the white / gan / the tower) I guess, so that’s not so much of an issue.

It is a question of the profits for a third film. They could do it for super cheap of course, but that would also hurt profits in general. The draw of the material won't necessarily be there as they finished the book, especially as the second part of the "official" story has slipped so much. It would be a question of they think people overseas will come out. Because they aren't going to spend another 150m-160m to make, distribute and market a series with such high diminishing returns. A third film that did around 100m domestically on such a price tag would not go over very well. Heck, if it cost 100m overall, it still wouldn't be great.

Its diminishing returns are inline with the second part of other first part phenomenon movies; Avengers: Age of Ultron, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Star Wars: The Last Jedi etc. This falls in the same category. That didn’t stop the studios from continuing.

Exclusive: Bill Skarsgard says there's an exciting story for It: Chapter 3

Speaking with our own Eric Walkuski, Skarsgard indicated that he and Muschietti have an IT 3 story in mind that they're excited about:

Andy and I have discussed ideas for what a third movie would look like. I don't think it's quite what people expect. It's something different. The first two stories are the book, and the second film is the end of that story. So we would do something quite literally off book. There are a few ideas floating around. I feel like I've done what I can with the incarnation of Pennywise as we know of him, so I think it would be a cool idea to change up a few things. So, without going into too much detail, there is a story that we're kind of excited about, but it's way too early to say. But we'll see, we'll see."

IT: CHAPTER TWO is raking in the cash, so it might not be very much longer before we hear that New Line Cinema wants Muschietti and Skarsgard to get to work on another chapter.

I thought Andy Muschietti said they weren't making a Chapter 3? Or this is the prequel idea that's being discussed?

My Review (coming from someone who hasn't read the book):

Sometimes good, sometimes not, often engaging, often not, It Chapter Two closes the story of the Losers Club satisfyingly, although the execution is often sloppy and messy.

It Chapter Two follows the Losers Club, bound by blood pact, as they seek to destroy It once and for all. Returning to Derry, they are made to confront a vengeful evil while relieving past fears and traumas that did not go away in adulthood. As an ensemble, the cast have balanced roles without one dominating the presence, unlike the original where Bill's guilt is emphasized. However, because of different character arcs, the thematic message becomes muddied. The character arcs deal with the same fears, guilt and repressed feelings from the original, although additional perspectives were added.

Mike is underused and should have been the emotional center, notwithstanding the need to definitely close a chapter in the ensemble's life centered around Derry and It, and by also being the character that remained in Derry. The reveal he withheld information from the group that the American natives died fighting It felt shoehorned and his reasoning contrived. Bill's guilt is explored deeper when it is revealed his reluctance to join his younger brother Georgie was intentional and not because of sickness. Richie is revealed to be a closet gay who developed feelings for Eddie since. Homosexuality is a theme hammered violently in the opening scene when a gay couple was brutally attacked after which followed It's first reappearance, although the film doesn't overtly project a pro-LGBT stance. Stan's suicide does not help the Losers Club and the letters sent by him explaining his reason is unnecessary. Beverly continues to experience sexual and family abuse through her husband, but this is glossed over and her prominence as the lone female is not as strong from the original. Ben remains insecure with his feelings with Beverly. Their resolution is lovely, as Beverly realizes Ben wrote the poem she kept safe.

Overall the film is convoluted and has a repetitive story, although the latter can be forgiven because childhood trauma don't necessarily go away in adulthood. While the film has multitudes of messages, it gets bogged down because it does too many things at once. Despite its epic length, the conclusion is well earned because the characters have fully grown from their trauma. Although the pacing can be slow, especially during the first hour, the narrative hastens when the ensemble begins the quest to find totems of their pasts and It's appearance becomes more frequent.

Speaking of It, Bill Skarsgard is absolutely fantastic and the film's true highlight. The scene were he gave It emotional range during the baseball game is phenomenal. Skarsgard is terrifying, although the CGI feels overdone during the final battle. Part of his awesome performance is embodying the non-human personality which director Andy Muschietti characterized It to differentiate him from Tim Curry. The rest of the cast is good and no one in particular is bad. Bill Hader steals the show by balancing comedy with inner sadness. A lacking element here present from the original is Derry's creepiness. Almost every citizen in Derry from the original had sinister, hidden motives or bad intentions making the Losers Club stood out. Compared to the original Chapter Two looks more beautiful direction wise. The cinematography and production designed are improved, despite portraying the same setting. Many of the visual and practical effects are great. The horror is strong and score is more engaging.

It Chapter Two has many qualities riding for it but also weaknesses from the script, ultimately coming up short to the original.

6.5/10

Watched this last week and enjoyed it as a none book reader but the movie had huge problems also. Skarsgard nailed it again as Pennywise, yet isn’t really given enough to do throughout. The few moments he can shine are the best in the movie though and the ones that stick with you afterwards.

The cast are all top notch and their chemistry is strong, but there were too many flashbacks to their time as kids. And the de-aging CGI used and whatever the hell they did to their voices was just weird. The finale was also a let down funnily proving the meta joke used throughout as accurate. I think if they had cut down on the flashbacks the movie would have flowed much better.

7/10

The source material not good enough?

I haven't read the novel but I've always heard that the adult part of it is pretty weak. I dislike so much of the story in the film that I might have preferred a demolish and rebuild/new but inspired by take on the story.

I haven't read the novel but I've always heard that the adult part of it is pretty weak. I dislike so much of the story in the film that I might have preferred a demolish and rebuild/new but inspired by take on the story.

I'm not sure I'd say the source material featuring the adults is weak, but compared to the sections featuring their younger counterparts, it's not as engaging. The problem is how dependent they are on the flashbacks, and callbacks to the 1958 section. Still, the reunion section is really strong, as is the concluding segments. And the entire point of the story is that these adults have moved on and and are called back to face their childhood traumas.

Watched this last week and enjoyed it as a none book reader but the movie had huge problems also. Skarsgard nailed it again as Pennywise, yet isn’t really given enough to do throughout. The few moments he can shine are the best in the movie though and the ones that stick with you afterwards.

The cast are all top notch and their chemistry is strong, but there were too many flashbacks to their time as kids. And the de-aging CGI used and whatever the hell they did to their voices was just weird. The finale was also a let down funnily proving the meta joke used throughout as accurate. I think if they had cut down on the flashbacks the movie would have flowed much better.

7/10

Yeah, it's almost unfortunate how well part 1 did, because then the studio clearly decided "part 2 needs more of the kids!" instead of just letting this part be separate and stand on its own

that or they shoulda filmed them back-to-back

Yeah, it's almost unfortunate how well part 1 did, because then the studio clearly decided "part 2 needs more of the kids!" instead of just letting this part be separate and stand on its own

that or they shoulda filmed them back-to-back

Yeah I especially thought that of the clubhouse moments, it wasn’t even hinted at in the first movie so I don’t get why they bothered doing those scenes in retrospect.

So having seen the original test screening which ran roughly at 190 minutes and recently seeing the finished version after the premiere, I’ll do a breakdown of the more prominent cuts/ changes made to the film later next week after most of you have seen it.

Would love to read it!

Saw this last night finally... Very good. But not as very good as the first in my opinion. But also maybe because I knew what to expect and wasnt as anxious. Also, just had less jump scares and scary moments all together.

Having said that... I do want there to be a chapter 3.

IT Chapter 2....definitely not as good as the first, overlong, self-indulgent, meandering and could have benefitted from a tighter cut. Also the most affecting scenes usually involved the kids. The adults just don’t have the same effect or sense of bonding. Best Pennywise scenes were the bleachers and the funhouse. Some other horror moments are unintentionally (?) comical and overall Pennywise feels more fatuous and less scary than Chapter 1. Mike still feels the most underdeveloped and like a plot device. Dem ending feels tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"