Steven Spielberg's West Side Story adaptation

I don't know why I didn't notice it the first time I watched it but Janusz Kaminski is really taking J.J. Abrams to school here with all the lens flare. :o

It’s noticeable but doesn’t feel as intrusive like it did in Star Trek

I finally watched it on Disney+ and I totally understand why Ariana DeBose is getting all of this acclaim. She really brought it in that scene with "A Boy Like That" and then the subsequent scene with the Jets.

But I also would like to know where this cost $100 million to make. Visually it was just a beautiful film to look and marvel at, the costumes were on point, but all those millions? The casting was also a little problematic, but all that aside, it was a good film.

Happy to see more people watching and enjoying the film. Watched it again tonight with my mother who adored it. I loved it even more the second time.

The cinematography, the color, the staging... just about everything is so wonderful. Such a throw back to old school Hollywood and movie musicals.

I don't know why I didn't notice it the first time I watched it but Janusz Kaminski is really taking J.J. Abrams to school here with all the lens flare. :o

You know Spielberg was doing lensflare when JJ was in diapers (or before puberty lol).

Just finished watching the movie. The quality was excellent. The acting, cinematography, choreography were all great. But I did find it boring during some parts and it didn’t keep me 100% engrossed throughout. I just think the story of West Side Story is not for me. I still prefer In The Heights and Tick, tick…Boom as more enjoyable movie musicals of 2021 for me.

The original film has been my favorite live action musical since I saw it when I was 8. I was so disheartened to not having been able to see it in theaters, not because of Covid but because having 3 younger kids is a pain in the ass. So I was so happy to finally being able to watch it at home and it blew me away. My number 2 movie of last year after Dune and soooo happy to say that I think even with the nostalgia I’ve long associated with the original this blew it out of the water! 10/10 movie for me.

Congratulations to Ariana DeBose! A much deserved win and I really liked her speech too. I hope she’s not one of those Oscar winners who disappear after winning. Really want her to have a long, successful career.

On the other hand, I’m starting to get major Lea Michele vibes from Rachel Zegler :hmm.

Yeah… Like that diva, fake nice on the outside, meanie on the inside. I always get that vibe when I see any of her interviews. Could just be all in my head though :shrug:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"