• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Student Draws Controversy with American Flags

If only people were as viscious in their defense of what the flag stands for, and trampling those rights, values and moral tenets...

...as they are of the flag itself.

Stormin Normin i agree with what you've said.

fine, put it on the floor... go ahead and step on it. im not going to be happy about it though, but its your right to be a dick... people fought for your freedom to be what you want to be... that includes being an ass. im not going to protest it.

The American Flag is a symbol that represents many of the institutions and ideals of this country. Intentionally stepping on the flag is directly showing disrespect for this country whose rights, liberties, freedoms, and opportunities you take for granted. Those are opportunities seldom available outside this country and showing a bit of appreciation to those who fought and cherish this country.

:up:

I also should mention that while I do not advocate desecrating the flag, there should not be any laws against it. It is morally wrong and I would not condone stepping on a flag or burning it, but I do not feel someone should be criminally charged for exercising their freedom of speech.

Why shouldn't Vietnam vets have a say in these matters? Are you implying they're all evil because they invaded Vietnam and some of them turned into monsters? I hope you know most of them were there against their will, because the government forced them to fight through the draft.

I suppose I should have said something else,because many did elude the draft and hide in Canada. Which is understandable,who would want to die for nothing? Any flag represents something to the people,when you desecrate it..you are insulting the people on purpose or trying to prove something.

I'm gonna make my own flag. It's going to have a big picture of an erect penis on it. And when they try and take it away from me, I'm going to sue the city because to me, that flag represents freedom and liberty and justice.

I think it's funny how seriously people take the flag. I suppose the people in the South are traitors - y'know, since they so proudly display the Confederate Flag everywhere. After all, that's the general logic in here, is it not? A flag is interchangeable with the beliefs it represents, right?

It's just a flag.

It may be a symbol but walking on a flag won't hurt America the country or America the abstract idea. Abstract ideas can't be damaged by walking on them.

Eddie:

The Confederate flag is offensive due to what it represents. The image being on a flag doesn't make a flag bad, it could be put on a poster and it would still be the same.

It's just a flag.

It may be a symbol but walking on a flag won't hurt America the country or America the abstract idea. Abstract ideas can't be damaged by walking on them.

Eddie:

The Confederate flag is offensive due to what it represents. The image being on a flag doesn't make a flag bad, it could be put on a poster and it would still be the same.
That is extremely Hypcriticol. So a Flag can only represent negatives? That's ridiculous. The American Flag is great due to what it represents. The Flag Represents Freedom and Liberty. The Blood, sweat and Tears of our Generations past. It is something wort charishing.

That is extremely Hypcriticol. So a Flag can only represent negatives? That's ridiculous.

A flag can represent many things to many people. Doesn't stop it from only being a flag.

The American Flag is great due to what it represents. The Flag Represents Freedom and Liberty. The Blood, sweat and Tears of our Generations past. It is something wort charishing.

Yes, it represents those things. That's all it does. Damaging a flag won't damage the thing it represents, it's just cloth and colors. It's the abstract idea itself that matters.

A flag will never actually be the things they represent, though. That's why it shouldn't be a big deal.

The men and women who sacrificed their lives for America did so for America, not for American flags. There is a major difference between the two.

It doesn't matter to me if you or anyone else adores their flags, but no-one should be forced into doing it.

I suppose I should have said something else,because many did elude the draft and hide in Canada.

Then those people aren't Vietnam Veterans considering they didn't actually fight in battle. Just like I'm not an Iraq war veteran considering I'm not a member of the military fighting in the Middle East...

Personal Question: Would you have walked on the flag on September 12th, 2001?
I would have. Its a flag, not an object of worship or an idol, yes it stands for our great country but.. its a flag, and our Constitution, the greatest governing laws in our nation say that we can do anything we want to that flag because at the end of the day it comes down to either wanting to limit our freedom of speech or flaunt our freedom of speech. I for one would rather flaunt it.

This is a dumb experiement. If you lay down the flag of paraguay in a maze like fashion alot of ppl will walk around that too. It's not because they respect or even know what country that flag belongs to. It's because ppl don't want to trip over a loose piece of cloth lying on the ground.

So it's NOT okay to walk on the flag but it's okay to get vagina juice on it?

:thing: :doom: :thing:

LMMFAO, thank you, I needed that. And to answer your question, yes, it is very OK.

I think it's funny how seriously people take the flag. I suppose the people in the South are traitors - y'know, since they so proudly display the Confederate Flag everywhere. After all, that's the general logic in here, is it not? A flag is interchangeable with the beliefs it represents, right?

I was going to say the same thing when someone brought up the nazi flag. They are basically flying the flag of the enemy of the US, and people defend that flag almost as much as they do the US flag.

This is a dumb experiement. If you lay down the flag of paraguay in a maze like fashion alot of ppl will walk around that too. It's not because they respect or even know what country that flag belongs to. It's because ppl don't want to trip over a loose piece of cloth lying on the ground.

You have a point, the first thing I would have thought was someone left their art projects on the floor for a minute, and wouldn't have stepped on them out of respect for the owners of said art project, not out of patriotism. But, I guess that still counts, so I win the "don't step on the flag" contest.

A flag is not interchangeable with the beliefs....it REPRESENTS those beliefs. Thus, stepping on the flag is a representation of disrespect to those values and beliefs. Its a demonstration of "eh....this country, its values....eh, I could go either way, really"

And yes, the Confederate Flag wavers are treasuring up their secessionist past and history,..downplaying the racist aspect which DOES exist....so yeah, you can call them traitors if you want to...

I would have [stepped on the flag the day after September 11th].

It's astounding how much gall you people have to say such things so many years removed from that tragedy. For your sake, Iassuming you're a young one, ...but most of you would have behaved much differently back then you all "courageously" suggest. :whatever:

I'm gonna make my own flag. It's going to have a big picture of an erect penis on it. And when they try and take it away from me, I'm going to sue the city because to me, that flag represents freedom and liberty and justice.[/quote]

to you only....not to the entire country. That's the difference.

They STAND for an idea... for something...

They actually AREN'T that idea. It is not taking advantage of those concepts because the flag isn't actually anything besides a symbol.

Plus, you mentioned the nazi flag and that means you probably didn't know that the swastika used to mean good luck. So that means the American flag doesn't just stand for those same values across the board because it is just a symbol and has no meaning in the first place except the ones you force onto it.

Oh I know the swastika means something else to other people, but to most Americans, it means facist, evil, hatred..... and I doubt you'd want to be seen near one even if with your flimsy "it means good luck" explanation. I understand a symbol is not an idea. The representation of ideas are important, it demonstrates what you respect, value, cherish.

Oh I know the swastika means something else to other people, but to most Americans, it means facist, evil, hatred..... and I doubt you'd want to be seen near one even if with your flimsy "it means good luck" explanation.

It's only a flimsy explanation for one that hasn't read up on it.

It's only a flimsy explanation for one that hasn't read up on it.

Get real! :whatever: Ok, I play your game, I understand Native Americans...or Buddhists... use swastika to mean something else than...say ohh....neo Nazis.. but in most parts of this country, waving around a red flag with a clear visual black swastika on it...means something clear in the hearts and minds of most Americans....and it ain't "good luck"... and that's the point. All the pieces together means something.......and that red and black swastika means putrid, fascist hatred. Why am I even arguing. you knew this. :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"