• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Student Draws Controversy with American Flags

So a symbol means a particular thing, despite thousands of years of evidence and history that proves it meant and means something else, because most of the people in this country are f'ing stupid.

^again....the black swastika on a white circle inside a red flag means one thing to not only Americans , but millions of people on this planet. Fascist, racist, evil, hatred.

So a symbol means a particular thing, despite thousands of years of evidence and history that proves it meant and means something else, because most of the people in this country are f'ing stupid.

No, either you're not understanding what he's trying to explain to you, which I doubt, or you're playing dumb just to twist his argument. The swastika has different meanings, depending on how it is displayed. Yes, every symbol is ultimately just a marking that can mean anything or nothing at all. But there is a very specific historical significance that separates the meanings of the Nazi's use of that symbol, and the traditional cultural uses that have been referred to.

I was just trying to piss him off. It made me laugh

Right, I thought so. I've seen people saying the same thing in all seriousness, though. :p

Although I was serious when I said most of the people in the US are stupid

This country has yet to prove to me that most of it's citizens aren't stupid.

No, either you're not understanding what he's trying to explain to you, which I doubt, or you're playing dumb just to twist his argument. The swastika has different meanings, depending on how it is displayed. Yes, every symbol is ultimately just a marking that can mean anything or nothing at all. But there is a very specific historical significance that separates the meanings of the Nazi's use of that symbol, and the traditional cultural uses that have been referred to.

Exactly, the American flag can also be seen as a symbol of evil, hatred and bigotry.

That's true, although that's not quite what I was getting at in that post. Maybe I'll try to explain it better after lunch...

I can tell them if they call 382-5633

And what, pray tell, are you going to say?

"Hey, Jews, sorry those Nazis killed six million of your fellow men. But, the Swastika is just a symbol. You really should ignore all those neo-Nazis who march into the streets carrying flags with Swastikas on them because, you know, it's just a flag and means absolutely nothing."

:whatever:

Look at the letters that correspond to the number I gave, and you'll have my message spelled out

http://www.phonespell.org/

I'm sure the Jews would love being told to **** off. Because it's not like the Nazis told them that when they dragged millions of them into prison camps and forced them to endure back-breaking labor, only to get shot in the head or gassed... at the hands of those who wore the Swastika proudly on their uniform...

I don't play favorites with any group. My message applies to all

The usage of symbols changes the meaning of said symbols.

But it doesn't invalidate the original meaning nor does it erase the history and evidence of said symbols.

I don't play favorites with any group. My message applies to all

Yep. I guess that proves you have no sympathy to those who have suffered tremendous plights such as cultural genocide. What a fine example you set to the rest of the human race :up:

But it doesn't invalidate the original meaning nor does it erase the history and evidence of said symbols.

No, but history can change the meaning of a symbol, can't it?

Take, for instance, this symbol: >

Mathematically, it has been used to refer to something as "greater than" something else. So, 6 > 5 indicates that "six is greater than five."

Now, say a radical dictator in Africa slaps that sign on a flag as the symbol for his army, which goes around killing folks of a different cultural heritage than he. It is used to represent his army. Does that not change the meaning?

The Swastika has a long, strange history. But you cannot deny that it has been used, for the past seventy years, as a symbol of the Nazi army and the genocidal movement towards the Jews. You're basically under the assumption of "well this had a different meaning beforehand so it doesn't matter what the Jews think." Which is totally and utterly asinine, considering it was the symbol of the army which eradicated a significant portion of their race. And if you believe that people today do not associate the Swastika with the Nazi movement, you're completely oblivious to how the world works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"