Sub or Dub?

black_dust

FrEaK-A-ZoId!!!
Reaction score
Subtitles or Dubbing? Which do you prefer when watching a foreign film?

Normaly i go for subtitles everytime, but last night i was watching Hidden Dragon with dubs, and it was pretty well syched in with the mouth movements :up: But i think i will go with subs for any other film, that way i can pick up more Japanese :D

Subtitles,quite often dubbing makes the films unintentionaly hilarious and loses the atmosphere

black_dust said:
Sbtitles or Dubbing? Which do you prefer when watching a foreign film?

Normaly i go for subtitles everytime, but last night i was watching Hidden Dragon with dubs, and it was pretty well syched in with the mouth movements :up: But i think i will go with subs for any other film, that way i can pick up more Japanese :D

Problems with dubs are there produced on the cheap. And also subtitles are just as effective since rage and other emotional tone is pretty universal no matter what language so you don't miss much.

I remember seeing a japanese film a few months ago and i turned the dubbing on for a few seconds and everyone in it had a London accent! made the mood of the movie very poor!

I started watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in Dub. I couldn't do it, so I switched to Sub and it was much much better.

I'm first and foremost a subs fan...the voice acting is oh so much better. But if I want to multitask(i.e.,fold laundry, cook, or dink around on the computer simultaneously), then I'll flick on the dub. But I keep subtitles on, still, as you get a better idea of the literal translation, as opposed to what fit. It can be a completely different movie.

Suctitles. Nothing wrong with reading.

Too bad that there wasn't a third option. I don't mind subtitles but there are some dubbed movies are actually dubbed quite well.

Subs. Dubbing just ruins films, they never put any emotion into it.

Dubbing in Miyazaki movies are great, but they seem to be the exception. Sub.

Subtitles, no question. Dubbing ruins the performances of the on-screen actors.

Subtitles

...dubbing only works for animated movies.

Subtitles any day of the week and twice on sundays, and screw anyone that prefers dubbing :mad: :mad:

Dubbing is extremely disrespectful for an actor.
Acting is 50% body and 50% voice, if you take aways the voice, all you have left is an half actor, and by that, an actor becomes nothing more than a product.

Thank God i live in one of the very few countries that don´t dub anything, except animated movies and cartoons on tv.
I understand why dubbing animated movies is acceptable, because of the kids, but i personally don´t like it (so i only watch original screenings), but cartoons...i don´t like it too, but there is nothing i can do about it (the only cartoon channel that doesn´t dub the cartoons is cartoon network).

I've found that subtitling helps to draws me in and makes me watch the film more closely. Dubbing tends to be distracting.

Skaigear2 said:
So did you like The Incredibles in French?

Dubbing for anything sucks.
In anime films (like the Miyazaki I mentioned) the dubbing is usually spectacular.

hunter rider said:
Subtitles,quite often dubbing makes the films unintentionaly hilarious and loses the atmosphere
Ditto, btw awesome avvy:):up:

Live action has to be subtitled, 100%. Never dubbed. Animation sort of depends on the audio track. Miyazaki's stuff is all great either way, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"