Supergirl Movie - Why so much hatred?

Discussion in 'Misc. Superman Films' started by Atmokinesis, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Joker

Joker Registered

people hate Supergirl because that movie f**king sucked. bad acting, bad plot...the only good thing was Supergirl was pretty hot :o

2. raybia

raybia Signing off

Because it was a god awful movie that really was a low budget "B" movie.

Helen Slater definitely had the looks but with no good direction she was like a deer caught in headlights.

Most of all I hate it because WB hung this movie out to dry.

3. stanton

stanton Guest

This is every bite as bad as Catwoman.

4. Darkhawk77

Darkhawk77 Registered

I didn't know there was hatred for this movie? I saw Supergirl in theatres when it came out, I recall my Grandmother taking me to see it. I loved it, still do. Helen Slater was great as Supergirl. I wish I had it in my DVD collection.

5. MargotFan

MargotFan Registered

The music was great. The movie was mediocre and had lame action.

6. SFII

SFII Registered

the movie, the plot, the music, and the effects suck'd. and i hated the evil villian witch.
    but Helen Slater look'd really hot in the outfit.

7. ecksclops

ecksclops Guest

The director's cut dvd is great. It's digitally remastered so the picture is great and the beautiful score sound great. There is about 15 minutes of unreleased footage filling in some of the plotholes. The flying sequences in this movie are the best of any movie to date.

This movie is so underrated but it does have a cult following. Helen Slater played Supergirl well, and she proved to be a true hero. It's a coming of age story and Supergirl grew and changed and overcame all the obstacles in the movie to save her world. (them fighting over Ethan WAS stupid, though.)

I love this movie and recommend that everyone watch the director's cut.

8. buggs0268

buggs0268 Registered

Beacuse the plot sucked and the actors in it, who are very good actors who were badly directed. But Helen Slater was Supergirl walded off the page. Makes me mad as the director can direct good stuff. Look at "Somewhere in Time" I jsut think Schwartz was wrong for the job.

9. Bruce_Wayne29

Bruce_Wayne29 Registered

I liked the movie and thought there was some interesting stuff in there but also some dull stuff. I'm gonna buy the dvd when it's released for my super-collection.

10. Mr. Walters

Mr. Walters Shulkie's Love Slave

I watched this last week for the first time. Yes, I know...for the first time. It's not easy to come across, you know? Anyway, I have to say that Supergirl is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I'm not a Supergirl hater mind you, I just thought movie was awful. I think it is due to poor writting, but I also found Helen Slater's character annoying. Too bubbly and cheerful, it got on my nerves quickly. Slater's done some good work, as has Faye Dunaway and director Jannot Szwarc, but this movie was terrible. Anyone know if the production was rushed or something? It really seemed like the story was amde up as they went along.

11. Dr. Fate

Dr. Fate Registered

That isn't possible.

12. Matt.S99

Matt.S99 Formally batboy99

no nothing can beat catwoman now that sucked!

13. captain_jimbo

captain_jimbo I love Star Trek XI

It's not the worst movie of all time, but still very, very ****! The trouble is, it was following the Superman films and just couldn't live up to them!

14. OutRiddled

OutRiddled Registered

I also don't get the hate.

It's a fine 80s fantasy movie. Helen Slater as Supergirl was hot but very innocent and noble. Peter O' Toole also did a great job as Zaltar. You got to see Argo City and the Phantom Zone. The special effects and music were also good.

It has a charm most movies lack.

This is nowhere near as bad as Catwoman or Elektra.

15. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

It was not a bad movie, but some of the campy scenes and a weak script make it look bad. Still, it is nowhere near Catwoman, Elektra, Ghostrider, batman & Robin, It is better than all those movies.

I liked the music, concept of Phantom Zone, Argo City, and performances by Helen Slater, Peter O'Toole.

Some of the Flying scenes (using wire work) are some of the best out there (better than Reeve movies (IMO.))

I wish that Chris Reeve (who at the time of shooting this movie was shooting for Superman 3) should have made a cameo appearance in this.

16. Fudgie

Fudgie Registered

Slater looked sexy. She makes it watchable for me.

17. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Agreed Fudgie

18. Ultra Lantern

Ultra Lantern In Darkest Night!

I thought Helen Slater did a good job as Supergirl.

19. OutRiddled

OutRiddled Registered

They kind of messed it up, though, as the origin is different than in the comics. She was supposed to be sent to Earth because of Superman but instead she is looking for the Omegahedron.

20. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

I think it's a decent movie. It does have sortof a low budget feel to it though, compared with the Superman movies, but sometimes a low budget adds to the appeal, plus I like the dark fantasy feel of it. What bugs me though is the vague explanation of where Argo City is supposed to be and why Supergirl ended up in a lake when she traveled to Earth.

21. jb007

jb007 Registered

The story was very, very bad and the film had some of the worst acting in it.

22. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

When I watched this the first time, I fell in love with Helen Slater's Supergirl. She was beautiful and innocent and sweet. That's what made it watchable, and made me ignore the plot and everything else going on. Also, the music by Jerry Goldsmith was great, as were the soaring flying sequences. Supergirl looked great in the costume, and that's actually my favourite version of her outfit, even though it really belongs to the Matrix Supergirl. I find it the most iconic.

If they had managed to take all that, and give the movie some other plot which didn't involve Faye Dunaway, Brenda Vacarro and Peter Cook then it could've been a good movie. I don't know which character she could've battled, but they could've found someone less campy than Selina.

23. El Payaso

El Payaso Registered

Ah yes. Because it was a bad movie. Pretty simple actually.

Naked or it didn't happen. :o

24. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I like it its lame but the 80s'ness of it rocks. If it had Chris Reeve as Superman it would work better thats my main problem with it.

25. mikey1974

mikey1974 Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

my biggest issue with it was the villains sucked balls....did Faye Dunaway even READ the script,what her characters lines and motivations were, before signing on?

also,Jimmy Olsen....that's fine and great as a tie-in,ut,dammit,USE it then! "Wow! another Supeman! Or,I guess, SuperGIRL?!" something like that to tie it in...instead,the character acts like this whole thing is new to him....