Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
There can of course be other reasons why they moved it, I just gave a guess based on the info at hand.

I don't think they will be going the Aquaman route though since the two films are complete opposites in the domestic/international spread. Most big superhero movies have a much larger international part, and Aquaman is probably among those with the largest international percentages (it's of course not finished yet, but still), while Wonder Woman was one of the very unusual ones that actually had a larger domestic take than international. Since the first WW didn't do great internationally I don't think they want to rely on international WoM for the sequel.
WW & BP are the only other 2010s cbm's that come to mind that earned a bit more than half of its total gross domestically.
Aquaman has officially made the most Chinese money for WB (compared with every movie in that library) of all time
and DC movies in general aren't that big in China, Nolan trilogy included.
WW for sure gained more traction overseas after its theatrical run.

WW & BP are the only other 2010s cbm's that come to mind that earned a bit more than half of its total gross domestically.
Aquaman has officially made the most Chinese money for WB (compared with every movie in that library) of all time
and DC movies in general aren't that big in China, Nolan trilogy included.
WW for sure gained more traction overseas after its theatrical run.

WW and BP stand out as they became cultural phenomenons in the US and that wasn't really the case in any other large BO country.

It may have gained more traction but I can't see it having any chance of getting a hype engine out of an earlier international release like Aquaman had. I don't think it would hurt either though, I think it's largely irrelevant for the domestic BO of WW84.

Where’d you guys see this?

If you Google it, you can find articles that link to the Reddit post. I’d link you, but I’m on my phone.

It appears that it’s old news, though. Unless I’m mistaken, the original poster (who apparently sent mods proof that he’d actually attended the screening) revealed this information months ago.

There is nothing stupid in having one's full body trapped between broken bottles in a crushing machine, and the only damage that happens to that person is scars in the face and none of the other areas in his body, including the shoulders of his suit.

Nothing.

:halo:

Holy **** I didn't even think about that :funny:

After it was pushed back twice, was there any indication that Dark Phoenix was going to be a home run? Apart from Michael Fassbender in the first 30 minutes of Apocalypse, everyone involved looks like they're just done. They looked happier to be in that blink-and-you-miss-it cameo in Deadpool 2.

Let's look at this holiday season.

Fantastic Beasts
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Aquaman
Bumblebee
Mary Poppins

Think FB comes in at a disappointing 600M and Aquaman is the only Holidayesque showing.

Then look at where Dark Phoenix is next year.

May 24 - Aladdin
May 31 - Godzilla
June 7 - Secret Life of Pets/Dark Phoenix
June 14 - Men In Black International
June 21 - Toy Story 4

Just got out of AM and I’m legitimately surprised that it was as good as it was. I pretty much agree with the consensus on what was good, bad, and average. One thing that I haven’t seen people comment on is the score. It’s actually pretty darn good, and coming from someone who doesn’t really pay attention to the music in movies, that’s a serious compliment.

Last edited:
Just got out of AM and I’m legitimately surprised that it was as good as it was. I pretty much agree with the consensus on what was good, bad, and average. One thing that I haven’t seen people comment on is the score. It’s actually pretty darn good, and coming from someone who doesn’t really pay attention to the music in movies, that’s a serious compliment.

Indeed. :up:

Wonder Woman would have destroyed her competition in 2019, just like she did in 2017. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see how other studios schedule their big films around her.

Edit: WB also outgrossed Disney in China, despite releasing less films there. Though the official numbers didn't include The Meg, if it did, WB would have broken Disney's record for highest gross in a single year by a studio.

Last edited:
Yeah I was pretty impressed with Aquaman’s music except for that (thankfully brief) Pitbull song.

When I went to see Aquaman the first time, the moment that Pitbull song came on me and my mate just looked at each other like WTF? When I went the second time with my brother, when that song came on he looked at me like WTF and asked how Pitbull keeps getting work :funny:

ykPljEH.gif

Batman punched an old lady over a decade before MCU's Captain Marvel did.

Congratulations to Into the Spider-Verse on its win of Best Animated film at the Golden Globes. Very happy for the film. Was glad to see that Lord and Miller shouted out both Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

Last edited:
Ecstatic for Into the Spiderverse.

Went from Bradley Cooper to Michael Douglas to the Black Panther cast to Spiderverse. Glad Marvel is well represented.

Last edited:
what, no love from the globes for a film that finally includes proper Atlantean representation?

How very disappointing.

Absolutely stoked for the best superhero movie of 2018 winning a golden globe!

So was there a clear Studio winner/loser for last year?

MCU - 3 movies, $3.89B, multiple Award nominations for Black Panther
DCEU - Aquaman, $1.00B+ (eventually)
Sony - Venom, $800+M plus Award winning, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Fox - Deadpool, $742M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"