Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Hailee Steinfeld still attached to Hawkeye too? That would be a bit of a letdown if she is, she’d be better as MCU Rogue.

Last edited:
Birds of Prey was alright. Really well-choreographed, creative action and it’s yet another gorgeously shot and composed effort from DC. I liked how it was basically an R-rated Looney Tunes.

That said I didn’t have high expectations but I’m a little disappointed I walked away from yet another Harley Quinn movie still wondering why anyone loves Harley.

I know a lot of you enjoyed it so I’m curious as to which characters you connected with? I personally felt that only Canary stood out.

Probably put this roughly on the same level as Aquaman. Probably a better movie on the whole than Aquaman but BoP didn’t have an Octopus playing drums :o

Last edited:
That said I didn’t have high expectations but I’m a little disappointed I walked away from yet another Harley Quinn movie still wondering why anyone loves Harley.
Have you seen the animated Harley series? It’s really good, even if you’re not that big into animation, imo.

Birds of Prey was alright. Really well-choreographed, creative action and it’s yet another gorgeously shot and composed effort from DC. I liked how it was basically an R-rated Looney Tunes.

I know a lot of you enjoyed it so I’m curious as to which characters you connected with? I personally felt that only Canary stood out.

Probably put this roughly on the same level as Aquaman. Probably a better movie on the whole than Aquaman but BoP didn’t have an Octopus playing drums :o
And that's one of, if not my biggest, complaint about BoP. Couldn't care less about any of the characters. I had no investment whatsoever

Huntress was my fave. I loved the idea of a little girl raised in isolation by assassins and therefore super-smooth with all the action and badassery, but it all completely falls apart when it comes to basic social skills. :funny: And I thought MEW played that awkwardness perfectly. Her moment with Cassandra and that little purple car was lovely, too. I just wanted more of her. Really liked Canary as well, and enjoyed Ewan as Black Mask.

Watch the episode "Harlequinade," and "Mad Love" from the animated series.

I think that's cause WB let's the directors have a high amount of creative input in the action sequences. Whereas with Marvel you can tell when the factory takes over.

Are you gonna tell me that Ryan Coogler directed the Killmonger fight at the end? Nah uh.

I find it strange that The Joker's revenge against Batman was to kidnap a Russian athlete before The Olympics, during the Cold War, at a time when beating the Russians at The Olympics was a pretty big deal.

Writing Superman: A How To Guide

57cd0742e88461d8b507a3687e4e581641c955d0.gifv
1c89df8839691b4d45544dae89e958faaf8ded7a.gifv

d17157bd5a884204fae30b1c896ab66fa476a4d1.gifv
d874ce1e3e851b42b9b26b3d3a6c616667980346.gifv
21ab61c68ffec324778d914300bcbf258237e427.gifv
f4d61f1ba4904ca493cab5341d5ba5bde0658fd9.gifv

James Gunn is doing fine, he ended up coming out ahead in this whole situation. He got another high profile gig out of it and gets to finish his GoTG trilogy. I'm sure that thought brings a smile to his face after the ways things began. I know it does mine.

In regards to Renner, unless he's convicted of beating his kid, there is no reason he should lose his job beyond not doing what he's paid to do. The child support thing isn't an issue to me. Is it a bad look? I guess, but so what? It's his life and decision to make, not the internet's. Although it may be for people who have nothing going on in their life.

Eh, I didn't think James Gunn should've been "cancelled" for bad jokes a decade ago. Nor do I think ScarJo should be cancelled for being friends with Woody Allen (even though that is... something)... abusing a child though? Let's say there is a line where "art and artist" doesn't really need to be separated, and if it's demonstrable in court what he did... I am fine if we don't see him a lot anymore, particularly in multimillion dollar Disney paydays.

They can easily do a Hawkeye show about his daughter starring Hailee Steinfeld and be like, "Clint retired and is off barbecuing."

I won't say I loved Birds of Prey but I liked it quite a lot. In the generic sense, I understand the critique if you didn't really "connect" with any of the characters. My favorite characters were Harley and Sinous, and as you said Harley was like an R-rated Looney Tunes character, and Black Mask reminded me a bit of the bad guys Gary Oldman used to play in the '90s.

I think that's the appeal. Sometimes style can go a long way. And not just cool visuals like Aquaman--which is a movie that's actually deteriorated in my memory as time goes by because if you take away the pretty images it's just a mess--but style of tone, aesthetic, and attitude. Birds of Prey reminds me of Guy Ritchie and Luc Besson movies in the '90s but it's subversive as instead of starring a bunch of tough guys, or one waif caught up around a bunch of dudes (the Besson style that hasn't aged, uh, great), it's starring almost entirely women. And it subverts these male-skewing tropes without feeling pedantic or pandering.

So having a gangster movie starring mostly women and for them to be such colorful characters is just really entertaining in a boozy sort of way. And then Margot Robbie completely owning the character of Harley Quinn in a way no one has since Arlene Sorkin is what puts it over the top. The way she commits a 110% to a character who is eye-banging a breakfast sandwich is just really gonzo stuff and probably the best love story I've seen in a superhero movie in a few years. I'm not even joking about that last bit.

So yeah, as a crime movie meets Looney Tunes with a tour de force performance it works really well. Solid 7.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
Have you guys seen a marvel fanboy on Reddit argue why Infinity War is better than Pulp Fiction? It's legitimately hilarious. If you want a laugh...

8a6f101_1_1.png

Have you guys seen a marvel fanboy on Reddit argue why Infinity War is better than Pulp Fiction? It's legitimately hilarious. If you want a laugh...

Huh, because Tarantino dialogue is long-winded--which is usually one of the things people love about it--and Avengers: Infinity War is much more basic in a utilitarian sense for the characters... it's better written? Better written than one of the best screenplays of all-time?

Huh.

LOL @ comparing Pulp Fiction to Infinity War. That’s random as hell, and it’s comparing apples and oranges. Don’t ask me to pick between Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown though.

And it really is impressive how in those Avengers movies for the sheer amount of characters they have, it doesn’t really feel like you see one more than the other. That’s the energy they need to keep for X-Men down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"