• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually when I look at it, if it's any hint at all, with dramatized TV shows they seem to kill the character off more often than not unless it's like Spartacus where the only other option is the end the show.
Tragically in relatively recent memory:
-Linda Porter (Myrtle) on Superstore (very underrated show) died and they had the character die
-Luke Perry on Riverdale was killed off
-Glenne Headly was killed off in Future Man
-Carol Ann Susi was killed off in Big Bang Theory
-Christopher Evan Welch (Peter Gregory) was killed off in Silicon Valley

And then a little bit back
-Cory Moneleith was killed off on Glee and they repurposed future seasons
-Larry Hagman (arguably one of the most iconic TV villains) was killed off in the Dallas reboot

Voice acting is more of a toss up.
-The Simpsons ended the character's appearance with Ms Krabapple
-Family Guy killed of Mayor West and Carrie Fisher's characters.
-But Clone Wars, they recast Palpatine and Avatar replaced Iroh
List of television actors who died during production - Wikipedia

But again these are shows not billion dollar movie franchises

EDIT:
I knew there'd be a TVTrope for this
Character Outlives Actor - TV Tropes
The Character Died with Him - TV Tropes

Looking at the live action films sections...again it seems like more often they write off or kill off the character when the actor dies. But again there hasn't really been a humongous film franchise where the actor who plays the titular and main character dies. Most other examples, they were supporting characters or characters in an ensemble.

Last edited:
...it won't be tossed away. No one is saying don't make Black Panther movies anymore. They can still build upon what made the character work on screen with Shuri.

And again, the comparison between a lead actor dying and other leads being recast or rebooted is not the same at all. Completely different emotions, circumstances, vibe, etc. and they should not be compared.

You're mixing up the character with the mantle there. His character was T'Challa.

It's not a situation with the same emotions but it still leaves us with the same options. Fans won't all share the same opinion so if the emotional part is to be taken into account I'd say that the ones that sould be asked are Boseman's family, as they'd know what he would have wanted. Whether he would want the character to die or to live on. His opinion, and those of his family, are certainly more important than mine.

You're mixing up the character with the mantle there. His character was T'Challa.

It's not a situation with the same emotions but it still leaves us with the same options. Fans won't all share the same opinion so if the emotional part is to be taken into account I'd say that the ones that sould be asked are Boseman's family, as they'd know what he would have wanted. Whether he would want the character to die or to live on. His opinion, and those of his family, are certainly more important than mine.
I'm not mixing it up at all. I realize they are completely separate things. And the character of Shuri can still follow the same storylines and themes as the character of T'Challa. Again unless they were really gonna lean into T'Challa and Killmonger's relationship, than there's nothing about the T'Challa character that can't be continued
-Ruling and defending a country
-Coming to terms with a tragic death of a mentor/family member
-Being part of the Avengers
-Dying in the snap

are all things that Shuri can do as well and build off of what was done with the T'Challa character himself.

I'm not going to try and assume what most fans want in this scenario.

All I know is, I personally have no interest in a Black Panther that isn't T'Challa. To me, T'Challa isn't someone that can be so easily replaced, and at the end of the day, IMO, he is the Black Panther franchise, not Shuri, Killmonger, M'Baku, Okoye, Nakia, or anybody else I've seen fans suggest as a replacement for T'Challa. If they're going to continue making BP films, I'd prefer they finish the storyarc Chadwick started, especially when the alternative is potentially not seeing the character onscreen again for a very long time.

I'm not mixing it up at all. I realize they are completely separate things. And the character of Shuri can still follow the same storylines and themes as the character of T'Challa. Again unless they were really gonna lean into T'Challa and Killmonger's relationship, than there's nothing about the T'Challa character that can't be continued
-Ruling and defending a country
-Coming to terms with a tragic death of a mentor/family member
-Being part of the Avengers
-Dying in the snap

are all things that Shuri can do as well and build off of what was done with the T'Challa character himself.

I was just responding to how you phrased your post, which looked like you thought Boseman had just built the mantle of the Black Panther and that T'Challa himself wasn't important. I think T'Challa is the important part of Boseman's acting achivement in the MCU.

I've never said that Shuri can't tackle the same, or similar issues. What I said about her is that I think they've clearly cast someone that doesn't look suited for a big, physical action part, and that I like what she brings to the franchise with the personality and role she has now. I never said anything about what they can or cannot do, I said what I think they should do.

The thing with recasting is, the follow-up get a lot of hate and the 3rd interpretation gets some good vibes again.

Maguire -> Garfield -> Holland
Bale -> Affleck -> Pattinson
Ledger
-> Leto -> Phoenix

Except Bale and Ledger aren't the first film interpretations of Batman and Joker, in fact, the role of Joker especially proves your theory wrong.

Romero > Nicholson > Ledger. All increasingly popular in the role.

And Pattinson's film hasn't come out yet, so we don't know how well he'll actually be received.

It’s very much so like what was stated somewhere above, Boseman playing the role of T’Challa was a culturally significant moment and iconic. He made an indelible mark and a lot of the audience would not accept a recast. Black Twitter in particular, the same group that mostly showed out to make Black Panther hit over a billion, would probably rip a recast to shreds.

But again if they go down the route of Shuri taking on the mantle, then Coogler has to write a really poignant way of killing off T’Challa. That’s going to be the hardest part I think.

Yeah, as important films as Superman, Batman, and Spider-man were, they were not as culturally significant at Black Panther. I don't care about recasting. The first recasting is always the hardest. But in this case, I am unsure if it would be too painful. As a white guy, I fully put out that my opinions should be ignored in this matter.

Regardless of whether the Black Panther sequel comes in 2023 or 2024, I can't see them recasting Bozeman without alienating a huge portion of the fanbase. Having Wright call replacement black actor "Brother!" has the potential to be the most cringeworthy scene in the history of film.

I say split the role previously filled by T'Challa. Put Okoye in the cat suit - she's a warrior and already an official Avenger - and put the crown on Shuri's head. Make the next film about the struggle to fulfill TChalla's/Bozeman legacy.

Then maybe later on you resurrect T'Challa - he is The King of the Dead - into the body of a new up and comer. But for the next film or so I would lean on the ladies.

Maybe do young T'Challa stories too. I don't think a straight up recast and carry on approach is going to fly. I don't want to see it either tbh.

The Peter recast for playstation's Spider-Man is still sore for me.

I’m completely fine with whatever Feige and co. decide, but frankly I’d prefer a recast. Love Boseman, but the show must go on, imo. I obviously don’t speak for Boseman and his family, but I feel that T’Challa’s character should continue. Though I acknowledge the reality that whoever else is cast in the role will have big, big, shoes to fill and at the end of the day another actor can’t really ‘replace’ Boseman. All they can do is honor the spirit of what he did, and make it their own.

Which is why while I lean towards recasting, I understand that the idea of recasting Boseman will be subject to more sensitivity than the recasting of Ed Norton and Terrence Howard in their roles. Since unlike those two, Boseman was actually iconic in that role and was in more than one film as the character.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd be upset either way but right now, I'm leaning towards a Shuri or Okoye Black Panther but if they recast Boseman, I would understand and wouldn't go to social media to complain.

The thing with recasting is, the follow-up get a lot of hate and the 3rd interpretation gets some good vibes again.

Ledger
-> Leto -> Phoenix

Coincidence.

Look at Stewart -> McAvoy or McKellen -> Fassbender for counter examples.

Coincidence.

Look at Stewart -> McAvoy or McKellen -> Fassbender for counter examples.

Also rewriting history. I do recall a lot of "cult of the new" with those castings. I think Leto is about the only one that had a ton of bad press out the door.

I say split the role previously filled by T'Challa. Put Okoye in the cat suit - she's a warrior and already an official Avenger - and put the crown on Shuri's head. Make the next film about the struggle to fulfill TChalla's/Bozeman legacy.

I don't like that because it goes against the culture established in the previous film. However, I don't mind Shuri stepping aside due to not being a warrior and allowing Okoye to take the crown and Black Panther mantle through combat.

If Boseman’s family gives the okay, I don’t see why anyone should have a problem with a recast. And I think they should absolutely be consulted on the matter if Marvel is considering recasting.

But again if they go down the route of Shuri taking on the mantle, then Coogler has to write a really poignant way of killing off T’Challa. That’s going to be the hardest part I think.

Going into the realm of fanfiction, but how I personally would do it is have him die off-screen of cancer (like in real life) and have Shuri's main character arc be her struggling being suddenly finding herself on the throne and trying to live up to the legacy of her legendary brother. It makes sense for her character and is a way to honor T'Challa in absentia.

I know T'Challa is too important to bench, but recasting with the rest of the cast still intact is going to be too painful to watch. If this was a reboot, it would be a lot easier. People loved Boseman's T'Challa and his relationship with these characters. To see another actor play T'Challa with this cast would be distracting. I hope they pass the mantel to Shuri with Nakia, Okoye and the Queen helping her. It's not like we'll never get to see the character again, few years from now, I'm sure marvel will reboot.

Storm is coming, but that's going to take a while. We need more black superheroines.

I know T'Challa is too important to bench, but recasting with the rest of the cast still intact is going to be too painful to watch. If this was a reboot, it would be a lot easier. People loved Boseman's T'Challa and his relationship with these characters. To see another actor play T'Challa with this cast would be distracting. I hope they pass the mantel to Shuri with Nakia, Okoye and the Queen helping her. It's not like we'll never get to see the character again, few years from now, I'm sure marvel will reboot.

Storm is coming, but that's going to take a while. We need more black superheroines.

I don't see Marvel rebooting the MCU unless things start going really poorly for them, which I in turn don't see happening in a few years. The whole point has been to have a continuous story that keeps progressing and newer characters have brought in good money.

Ledger
-> Leto -> Phoenix

Little early for a victory lap with Pattinson.

I don't like that because it goes against the culture established in the previous film. However, I don't mind Shuri stepping aside due to not being a warrior and allowing Okoye to take the crown and Black Panther mantle through combat.

It does, but I think the all Hands on Deck approach works better. No one person can replace Boseman, so no one character replaces T'Challa onscreen. I could see members of other tribes looking to challenge Shuri at Warrior Falls. Then sitting their butts back down when she names Okoye as her proxy and the rightful successor of the Black Panther mantle.

Going into the realm of fanfiction, but how I personally would do it is have him die off-screen of cancer (like in real life) and have Shuri's main character arc be her struggling being suddenly finding herself on the throne and trying to live up to the legacy of her legendary brother. It makes sense for her character and is a way to honor T'Challa in absentia.

I think that's the smart approach. Maybe we find out that Nakia is pregnant with TChalla's son, Azari?

I don't see Marvel rebooting the MCU unless things start going really poorly for them, which I in turn don't see happening in a few years. The whole point has been to have a continuous story that keeps progressing and newer characters have brought in good money.

Yup.

This isn't a Batman/Spider-Man situation where you can get a new version in a 2-4 years. If T'Challa doesn't get recast, we're not seeing him on film again for a long time. We'll be lucky if we even get a new T'Challa in the 2030's.

This isn't a Batman/Spider-Man situation where you can get a new version in a 2-4 years. If T'Challa doesn't get recast, we're not seeing him on film again for a long time. We'll be lucky if we even get a new T'Challa in the 2030's.

With the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the current Avengers they can probably get through the next ten years without much difficulty. But once those actors start moving on and all of the big and medium sized names have been used, there is likely to be more pressure to reboot. Now that is under normal circumstances. With the way the pandemic has destroyed the theater industry for the time being, who knows what form things are going to look like that far down the line. The big budget blockbuster could be a thing of the past as we see a shift towards streaming and shows like The Mandalorian. I can't say it is impossible. We are in turbulent times.

Cool. Better than Thor showing up in GOTG. I'm okay with the guardians in Thor 3, but I don't want Thor in their movie.
I think/thought the rumor is that Thor kinda has to be in Guardians 3 due to Adam Warlock. I feel like i read that somewhere idk if it was Gunn or someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"