• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the schedule had gone as originally planned, meaning had Gunn not been fired & rehired and GOTG 3 was slated to come out in 2020, I think Thor would have shown up in that and the Guardians wouldn't have been in Love and Thunder. Since we're getting Thor 4 first, it makes sense to have them show up. Personally I prefer this since we're seeing the Guardians in a Taika film.

I say recast T'Challa. Don't let cancer beat a cultural icon.

I really don't like the idea of several persons taking over after T'Challa since that breaks the Wakanda lore, which they went through a lot of trouble to showcase for the audience. Shuri isn't beating any top fighters in single combat without technology. Okoye has no business there at all since she is a Dora Milaje for life, so she only serves the king (or queen) regardless of who that is, and she clearly doesn't want it any other way as she still willingly served Killmonger, despite not liking him.

If they had T'Challa die in the MCU the logical new king would be M'Baku since I don't see anyone else beating him. As cool as he is I don't think that's a good solution as that wouldn't leave us with a Black Panther.

Also rewriting history. I do recall a lot of "cult of the new" with those castings. I think Leto is about the only one that had a ton of bad press out the door.

The first Amazing Spider-Man was also quite popular. It gets lost because the sequel immediately killed the franchise, but Garfield had a pretty sizable fanbase at the time.

Leto got immediate bad buzz, but that was mostly to do with the first promo picture of his design. At the time his casting was announced he was coming off an Oscar win and I remember the initial reactions being more positive. Then people got a look at the gold teeth and forehead tattoos and all that goodwill instantly evaporated. :funny:

I think/thought the rumor is that Thor kinda has to be in Guardians 3 due to Adam Warlock. I feel like i read that somewhere idk if it was Gunn or someone else
I think I saw that rumour too, or it could be fans speculating. I just don't want Thor in their movie, so I hope it's just a rumour.

Shuri might not be able to beat up many warriors now, but with the herb and okoye/others training her, she could become a great fighter, that's not even mentioning her tech gadgets. Tony can't fight but with his armour, most can't touch him. Shuri is supposed to be one of the smartest characters in the MCU, with good writing she could be a different but still interesting Black Panther.

Shuri might not be able to beat up many warriors now, but with the herb and okoye/others training her, she could become a great fighter, that's not even mentioning her tech gadgets. Tony can't fight but with his armour, most can't touch him. Shuri is supposed to be one of the smartest characters in the MCU, with good writing she could be a different but still interesting Black Panther.

She wouldn't be getting any herb without being able to beat others in a traditional fight though. It would seem pretty demeaning to women if she got to become the ruler without going through the traditions just because she's a woman and can't be expected to do it properly. Even more so since she'd get that spot because she rode the coattails of her more qualified brother. No thanks, I'm much more comfortable with her being awesome on her own power as she's been.

I'm still leaning on Nakia as Black Panther for several reasons. Lupita is the biggest star, can totally hold a leading role, probably should be a leading role, and was already under-served in the first film. Shuri and Okoye already shine in the roles they were given, whereas Nakia was mostly a love interest.

In-universe she makes sense too. Nakia has the combat background necessary for the role, and because of her relationship to T'Challa she could easily be queen of Wakanda already when the second film opens.

The first Amazing Spider-Man was also quite popular. It gets lost because the sequel immediately killed the franchise, but Garfield had a pretty sizable fanbase at the time.

Leto got immediate bad buzz, but that was mostly to do with the first promo picture of his design. At the time his casting was announced he was coming off an Oscar win and I remember the initial reactions being more positive. Then people got a look at the gold teeth and forehead tattoos and all that goodwill instantly evaporated. :funny:
Your absolutely right here. I'll just elaborate on your two points.

The first Amazing Spider-Man was quite popular. Audiences gave it an A- Cinemascore and it still has a relatively high audience score and Top Critics score on RT. Most of the criticism it got was about showing the origin story again so soon after SM1, not that it's not a valid point it is separate to an extent to whether it's a good movie. It's unfair to read reviews which say it's good but it's pointless so lets give it a rotten rating :huh:

With Leto it was just a sharp decline after the promo pic. The trailers leading up to the movie itself did noting for it. The stories of Leto sending used condoms and dead animals to co-stars didn't help either. The Snyder fandom are the only ones who seem keen on giving him another shot.

She wouldn't be getting any herb without being able to beat others in a traditional fight though.
T'Challa already had the herb in civil war, they took his powers away for the ceremony. From their reaction, it seems that other tribes don't usually fight for the throne, they were surprised when M'Baku challenged T'Challa.

Regarding Affleck what's interesting is that reception to him got better over time. I remember there being a very negative reception from many when he was first announced. Even Affleck himself remarked several times when he was on talk shows that he was aware his casting was divisive.

I've seen lots of people who didn't like Batman v Superman remark that Affleck is one of the few things that work.

Well, except for the murdering and the Martha moment and then going back to killing.

But honestly, Affleck as Batman didn't bother me, it was just the whole story and characterization that was off putting.

Like Cavill I think the consensus on Affleck is that he was good and just had the misfortune of being Batman in several films that people really didn't take to. That's why I really wanted to see him in a solo movie at least once.

Affleck was.....adequate. He's not that good of an actor in general, IMO. But as BvS goes, he was one of the less objectionable aspects.

The bigger problem is Snyder's characterization.

I'm not a Snyder fan at all but one aspect I've felt some sympathy was Batman killing.

In the Burton films Batman committed straight up murder at certain times yet I've never really seen it being used against Keaton's Batman. Only difference I can think of was the fact that Batfleck "branded" criminals in BvS so there was a much more a sadistic element to his Batman which isn't present in Keaton's.

I'm primarily a Spider-Man guy so I don't really read that much of the Batman boards here but I haven't seen murder being used against Keaton's in debates that I've seen.

Anyone think the rumored JJ Abrams reboot will recast Superman?

I don't necessarily think Cavill needs recast, he needs better material and to be allowed to actually.....act like Superman.

But reboots tend to wipe the whole slate clean, so I doubt Cavill would stay, even if he wanted to.

I'm not a Snyder fan at all but one aspect I've felt some sympathy was Batman killing.

In the Burton films Batman committed straight up murder at certain times yet I've never really seen it being used against Keaton's Batman. Only difference I can think of was the fact that Batfleck "branded" criminals in BvS so there was a much more a sadistic element to his Batman which isn't present in Keaton's.

I'm primarily a Spider-Man guy so I don't really read that much of the Batman boards here but I haven't seen murder being used against Keaton's in debates that I've seen.

It is absolutely about the portrayal. Batman Returns is the big culprit, mainly. It doesn't trigger the same emotions as BvS, though, because Batman Returns is very cartoonish in its violence. Compared to the Batmobile unloading a gatling gun on some goons and Batman giving out a very vicious beatdown. Even with what we've seen from Pattinson, I think the violence is supposed to be disturbing, whereas Snyder glorifies it. Its also why Snyder did not understand the destruction complaint in MoS, when compared to Avengers.

Speaking of Thor in MCU, I really think that Marvel Studios has wasted the concept of 9 realms as important part of Thor's mythology.

We barely even spend nor know about most of the realms, and now... Asgard got destroyed, and became New Asgard on Earth with no explanation of what fates becoming for the rest of the realms (and also ByFrost is became an afterthought as well).

In Thor: Battle Royale (Ragnarok), as much as I love the movie, but I wish Thor can explore and adventure more in the mystic Norse realms instead spending most of the movie in Sakaar.

Its a shame really since I think the 9 realms in Thor and Norse myth is really fascinating and interesting concept if handled properly. (Jason Aaron's Thor book has showcase of the rich and wonder of many characters and worlds, not just Asgard and Earth).

And God of War PS4 game too, I think has more wonderful depiction and portrayed of the realms of Norse mythology than MCU.

It is truly a wasted opportunity.

I don't know much about Thor, but just based on the basics, I felt the same about how they could've done a lot of stuff just based on the general mythology concept of it all.

Also, I had recently read "Planet Hulk" for the first time and watched the animated film again. Those two and my like of Hulk in "The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes" reminded me that I felt there's a lot of missed potential in mixing that story with "Thor: Ragnarok."

Has anyone here seen Cape Fear(1991)?

If so, did anyone spot that Marvel cameo at the very beginning of the film in that scene where Robert Deniro’s character is in his jail cell about to be released from prison?

Em_AqWjVoAYdVej

Funny thing is, this movie was directed by none other than the Martin Scorsese himself. :funny:

Black Bolt and Captain Marvel actually made their first appearance in a feature film in a Martin Scorcese movie of all things. How ironic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"