• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not going to assume Superman will be black just because the guy writing the movie is black, but if it ends up going that way...go full throttle and give us President Superman. I’m serious.

And I’m just gonna say it: if Superman’s black, I don’t wanna hear ****. Not that I think any of you here would object to it in bad faith, but if anybody wants white Superman, Superman & Lois airs Tuesdays at 8:00PM EST on the CW.

I’m not going to assume Superman will be black just because the guy writing the movie is black, but if it ends up going that way...go full throttle and give us President Superman. I’m serious.

And I’m just gonna say it: if Superman’s black, I don’t wanna hear ****. Not that I think any of you here would object to it in bad faith, but if anybody wants white Superman, Superman & Lois airs Tuesdays at 8:00PM EST on the CW.
It's not that the writer is black. I just know who the writer is. Which is why as soon as I saw them attached, my mind jumped to black Superman.

reputable hollywood reporters like kroll and borys kit are even talking about how WB has wanted to do this for a while, so its definitely a legitimate point of conversation at this time

It's not that the writer is black. I just know who the writer is. Which is why as soon as I saw them attached, my mind jumped to black Superman.

I know who he is too. I actually own one of his books (Between the World and Me; it’s great). I’m not calling anyone out or saying it isn’t a somewhat reasonable assumption, it’s just not one that I’m inclined to make at this juncture.

I know who he is too. I actually own one of his books (Between the World and Me; it’s great). I’m not calling anyone out or saying it isn’t a somewhat reasonable assumption, it’s just not one that I’m inclined to make at this juncture.
I totally am. Especially when you got insiders already talking about it.

reputable hollywood reporters like kroll and borys kit are even talking about how WB has wanted to do this for a while, so its definitely a legitimate point of conversation at this time

For sure. I’m not saying it’s an illegitimate conversation, I just won’t make that assumption until we start hearing more concrete news.

I totally am. Especially when you got insiders already talking about it.

That’s good for you, man. I’m not here to tell people what to think. Just giving my thoughts. Like I said, it’s not an unreasonable assumption.

And this is what I will use to combat the Reddit racists. Great line.

Considering the scripts and situations he has turned into gold, I am going to disagree. The only reason Star Trek worked, is because of his storytelling instincts. It's the same with the reinvention of Mission Impossible and yes TFA being one of the greatest successes in film history. Not even Endgame could get to that domestic number.
I should probably have called it his "plotting instincts." His moment to moment to filmmaking is almost universally strong. It's the bigger picture way those moments are weaved together where things start to fall apart. I think Star Trek is a good example of how all his strengths extracted an incredibly entertaining film from some pretty shoddy material. He started leaning into his meta plot tricks in the 2nd one and it's so bad, it overwhelms the things he's actually good at. That movie has many moments that are cool as individual set pieces, but they land with a thud because the plot is so determined to disappear up its own ass. And it was the same dynamic with his two Star Wars movies.

Last edited:

If Superman is black, will it be Clark Kent or Calvin Ellis? That’s what I wanna know. Personally I prefer they just use Clark Kent since he’s the one with the mythology I care about. Though I can imagine them playing it safe and going with Calvin which will make me much less interested in the project.

If Superman is black, will it be Clark Kent or Calvin Ellis? That’s what I wanna know. Personally I prefer they just use Clark Kent since he’s the one with the mythology I care about. Though I can imagine them playing it safe and going with Calvin which will make me much less interested in the project.

That’s the million dollar question. I’d be fine with either, frankly, but if you put a gun to my head? I’d go with Calvin. I love the idea of President Superman. But you won’t hear me objecting if we just have a black Clark Kent.

This is an interesting question. I wonder if @Spider-Fan wants to know this? :o

If Hollywood insiders are basically acting like this is a done deal, then I think this is a done deal. Again, the only question is if he is Clark or Calvin.
I hope it’s Clark since he’s the only true Superman to me. If it’s simply another character than that makes me much less interested, personally.

I hope it’s Clark since he’s the only true Superman to me. If it’s simply another character than that makes me much less interested, personally.

I get that mindset. But to be fair, Peter Parker is Spider-Man to me. I stopped reading comics before Miles and all the Spiderverse stuff. Had no interest in his movie. But his movie introduced me to his mythology and I loved it. I have not read any Miles comics or anything (that mostly comes down to me not loving the pacing of newer comics, so I don't read them), but the movie made me like the character. If they want to show me a Superman I have no familiarity with outside of it being a thing that exists, then I will give it that same chance.

But again, I am also not married to them using that version if JJ and co want to make a statement and have Clark be black. That is also fine.

Could Justin Lin be the one sitting in the director's seat for this one?

Can't believe DC is just looking at other successful franchises and copying them again.
tumblr_pq5yxvHSyZ1x0bvwko1_540.gifv

Pretty good week for Superman fans, which is certainly not something we can say often. I hope it's the start of a turn around for the character. A nice new age.

Excited to see what they do with a new movie. My only concern would be that I hope they be careful and don't try to be overly ambitious. Keep it simple and smart.

Pretty good week for Superman fans, which is certainly not something we can say often. I hope it's the start of a turn around for the character. A nice new age.

Excited to see what they do with a new movie. My only concern would be that I hope they be careful and don't try to be overly ambitious. Keep it simple and smart.
Flash had a good run once, but the CW stuff kept going, and then Justice League. Superman might have better luck with movies, but the future of his show is more than likely bleak.

Can't believe DC is just looking at other successful franchises and copying them again.
tumblr_pq5yxvHSyZ1x0bvwko1_540.gifv
You think getting cast as Black Superman is tough? You should see how people react to the idea of Bond being black. It really shows how they view "being British". :confused:

You think getting cast as Black Superman is tough? You should see how people react to the idea of Bond being black. It really shows how they view "being British". :confused:
Is it white? :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back