• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
while GOT was impressive, you could tell where they took shortcuts. The Disney plus shows seems to be attaining a new level of production quality.
In the earlier seasons of GOT, sure, but this looks straight out of a big budget Hollywood movie:

FirstCourteousGoldfinch-size_restricted_zpsdw5jxegb.gif

And now, for a change of pace for this thread, time to dunk on a Marvel director for their stupid ideas. Good to know for sure that my criticisms of the politics of Winter Soldier is valid.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is... is Trump Thanos? Is that what he's trying to say? It's stupid, but is that it?

That second sentence reads like he is taking credit for Biden's election. Oh god, its the return of "TDK helped elect Obama"...

Dibs on new thread, "What role did the Avengers in getting Biden elected?"

God, the politics in those movies are adorably simplistic. That’s not even a jab, just... come on, guys. Civil War feels actually terrified of delving into any sort of detailed or difficult politics.

Not gonna lie but when Biden was announced the winner I did feel like Tony snapped his fingers all over again.

GOT was truly on another level. Despite the huge budget, WandaVision didn't look nearly as good

Unfortunately the production values increased as the writing quality plummeted so I think it ended up being an example of how visuals are second tier in terms of importance. Such potential wasted.

I was a little let down by the WV finale, but overall really enjoyed the show and looking forward to seeing what the future holds for certain characters.

Was really digging WandaVision for most of the season but it kind of went off the rails for me in these last few episodes. Did not enjoy Agatha as a villain, as much as I love Kathryn Hahn. Things like Monica randomly getting her powers felt forced and setting up CM2 did not belong in this show.

The finale was a particularly weak episode of a series that could not sustain its premise, which was initially very compelling.

There was a method to WandaVision’s madness that I think some people will begin to see in time. Especially once they get over the endless theories they had in their minds. The earlier episodes were imperative because those sitcoms were important to Wanda and how she handled grief. Then it gradually morphed into a MCU story that I thought was satisfying.

Love Olsen and Bettany, I just wish the finale gave a bit more screentime to Monica, Jimmy and Dr Darcy.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think that Wandavision is an example of the type of different storytelling i was hoping the MCU would attempt. The MCU has stuck to a formula that has grown a bit tired over time, if you ask me, as enjoyable as the films are and it was nice to see them take some risks again.

Wandavision started strong. On paper I love it, everything about Westview, Wanda's emotional state, Agatha, Vision, etc... buuuut it only really feels like the show it should have been in the first few episodes and the eighth. Apart from that it mostly felt like putting pieces in place for Multiverse of Madness and, for absolutely no reason at all, Captain Marvel 2. This was a story begging to be told in a more intimate, surreal way from Wanda and Westview!Vision's perspectives.

The writing while filled with good ideas and some really strong material for the three wonderful leads ultimately felt inelegant and awkward to me. Like they chose the least organic, dullest way to tell the story. Felt like watching the MCU take a creative jump and immediately crack its skull on the very low ceiling of what they'll ever really be willing to do.

Evan Peters was A+ trolling though. Love it.

Just seeing her in full Scarlet Witch costume was great. That’s the one thing about Marvel Studios, I’m glad they embrace the comic book feels all the while making their own interpretation of these characters.

Makes me excited to see what they have in store visually for the Fantastic Four and the X-Men.

Last edited:
The lovely Malcolm in the Middle scene makes me wonder if they wanted "real world" scenes maybe they should've spent some time in flashback exploring the beginnings of Wanda and Vision's relationship. Maybe explore some of the contrast between the "real" Vision and how he is in the Hex.

My favourite kind of superhero or genre story in general is something really small and intimate told with larger than life characters in a strange world. Best parts of WandaVision really tapped into that feel.

Hi guys, not everyone will have seen the Wandavision finale yet so please tag specifics as appropriate or move them to the WV spoiler threads. I know none of you want to let anything slip by accident and it’s easy to forget which thread you’re in.

Too bad it was run by morons....
Honestly Benioff and Weiss were lucky that they had the cast and crew that they had, especially during the second half of the series where they had to deviate from the books. The cast along with the production value of the show from the VFX to the costumes to the sets made it worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"